buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 02, 2010 @ 22:44:36
Here's the basic structure of the argument:

1. Determinism is true
2. Self-determination is true
3. Self-determination and determinism are incompatible

All three of these propositions can't be true at the same time, so one of them must be false. Let me explain each one.

Determinism is the thesis that every event which happens, including human actions, are determined to happen by the events which precede them. Causality seems to imply this: every event has a cause, it can't come from nothing, so in order for something to happen its cause must happen; if its cause happens, it must happen. Hence, if a human action is caused by, for example, a desire or a motivation, then as soon as that desire or motivation happens the action must happen. Since we do not cause our own motivations, we can not cause our own actions indepedently. We are therefore not free agents, but part of a causal chain like everything else.

Self-determination can be defined here as the idea that we determine our own actions independently and are free, to some extent, of the constraints imposed by previous events. We originate series of events ourselves; we are, in effect, all causa sui (self-caused) 'prime movers'. Since we are not determined by previous causes, we have 'liberty of indifference', which means that when we choose to do something, we could have chosen otherwise and were not forced to do what we actually did. The choice was free, the action was contingent.

Incompatibilism is the assumption that determinism and self-determination don't go together. This is a pretty natural assumption to make. An incompatibilist, then, is forced to assume that either determinism is false or self-determination is false. Nonetheless, there are many that argue that while determinism is not compatible with self-determination, it still allows some kind of human freedom, and things like moral responsibility are compatible with determinism since they do not actually require us to have liberty of indifference. For the sake of this argument, we will call such people compatibilists - that is, they think freedom and determinism are compatible (but they do not necessarily think determinism and self-determination are compatible).
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 02, 2010 @ 22:47:58
@buffalobill90 Said

1. Determinism is true

All three of these propositions can't be true at the same time, so one of them must be false. Let me explain each one.

Determinism is the thesis that every event which happens, including human actions, are determined to happen by the events which precede them. Causality seems to imply this: every event has a cause, it can't come from nothing, so in order for something to happen its cause must happen; if its cause happens, it must happen. Hence, if a human action is caused by, for example, a desire or a motivation, then as soon as that desire or motivation happens the action must happen. Since we do not cause our own motivations, we can not cause our own actions indepedently. We are therefore not free agents, but part of a causal chain like everything else.

Self-determination can be defined here as the idea that we determine our own actions independently and are free, to some extent, of the constraints imposed by previous events. We originate series of events ourselves; we are, in effect, all causa sui (self-caused) 'prime movers'. Since we are not determined by previous causes, we have 'liberty of indifference', which means that when we choose to do something, we could have chosen otherwise and were not forced to do what we actually did. The choice was free, the action was contingent.

Incompatibilism is the assumption that determinism and self-determination don't go together. This is a pretty natural assumption to make. An incompatibilist, then, is forced to assume that either determinism is false or self-determination is false. Nonetheless, there are many that argue that while determinism is not compatible with self-determination, it still allows some kind of human freedom, and things like moral responsibility are compatible with determinism since they do not actually require us to have liberty of indifference.

Couldn't you also take a compatibilist approach? Like Frankfurt's First and Second Order Desires?

I love existentialism so I'm routed in the self-determinism. However I know it's not always true (for example if the choice has been coerced) and so therefore is flawed, so I'm not sure. I definitely don't believe in the dualist approach to the argument.

Edit: For argument's sake I voted that 'Freedom' is false.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 02, 2010 @ 23:04:27
@sister_of_mercy Said

Couldn't you also take a compatibilist approach? Like Frankfurt's First and Second Order Desires?

I love existentialism so I'm routed in the self-determinism. However I know it's not always true (for example if the choice has been coerced) and so therefore is flawed, so I'm not sure. I definitely don't believe in the dualist approach to the argument.

Edit: For argument's sake I voted that 'Freedom' is false.

Sorry, the OP is a bit long-winded. Determinism and self-determination are incompatible. However, determinism may be compatible with a 'watered-down' version of freedom which still allows things like moral responsibility.

Frankfurt's argument is flawed because second-order desires could easily be determined. Second-order volitions provide a relative freedom, i.e. freedom from first-order desires, but it is not absolute self-determination - this would require third-order desires, which would in turn require fourth-order desires and so on in an infinite regression. He reconciles determinism with a kind of freedom which distinguished persons from 'wantons', but he does not reconcile it with self-determination and liberty of indifference.
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#4New Post! Mar 03, 2010 @ 02:12:47
@buffalobill90 Said

1. Determinism is true

Incompatibilism is the assumption that determinism and self-determination don't go together. This is a pretty natural assumption to make. An incompatibilist, then, is forced to assume that either determinism is false or self-determination is false. Nonetheless, there are many that argue that while determinism is not compatible with self-determination, it still allows some kind of human freedom, and things like moral responsibility are compatible with determinism since they do not actually require us to have liberty of indifference. For the sake of this argument, we will call such people compatibilists - that is, they think freedom and determinism are compatible (but they do not necessarily think determinism and self-determination are compatible).

Everything comes from nothing. God made everything from nothing. Therefore determinism is false.

Because of sin human beings are separated from the True 'prime mover'. In Christ we are reconciled to Him. Therefore self-determinism is false as when one is in Christ the self is destroyed.

Incompatibilism =

God bless you.