Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#16New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 00:08:34
@shadowen Said

Even though i disagree with your comments jmo i am not going to go back and forth with you. You will be voting "no" and you have your reasons, others will vote "yes" and they too have their reasons. All that really matters is that unlike in 1707 this time all Scots (well not those under 16!) will have the chance to decide if they wish to be ina union with england. Despite considerable opposition from most Scots in 1707 a handful of nobles made the decision to agree to a union with england based on what was best for them as opposed to what most Scots wanted (and in 1707 they clealry didnt want to be in a union with england). Indeed, the english use the carrot and stick approach withthese hadful of nobles most effectively.

Whilst the vote looks like being closer than many would have though tit would be just 12 months ago i nonetheless think it extremely unlikely that the "yes" vote will succeed. The fear of the unknown will influence many as yet undecided voters. So i dont think you shall have to move to Yorkshire just yet.

Surely though you must agree that it's a positive thing that Scots finally (300+ yrs down the track) get to vote on the issue of a union with england.

I wish the USA would let a few states vote on their own sovereignty. Maybe we could off load Texas....maybe Mexico could take them back.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#17New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 02:01:55
Texas has the third largest federal 'deficit' at $313 billion. That is, Texas receives $313 billion more in federal money than it pays via taxes. So it's sort of dead weight
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 18:48:54
I was just passing through and thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

As an English woman, I'd like to say that unlike many English folk, I'm not too worried about the break up of the Union. I'm not saying that the Union is a bad thing, just that I don't think it's an absolute imperative for our future well being, either north or south of the border.

I reckon we'll get on better if we are independent of each other. Better a friendly neighbour than a surly partner.... and there is no denying that the Scots have been very surly partners indeed.

The prosperity / economic issues will be dealt with as they arise.

The only thing I find ironic about it all, is that the Scots, many of whom are amongst the most ardent of anti-Europeans, will happily vote for an independent Scotland which will want to join the EU, at a time when the English are clamouring for a referendum to take us out of it...!!

You couldn't make it up, could you..?

The only thing I really wish for is for this referendum to be the end of it, one way or another. If the majority vote to stay within the Union, then the antis should just suck it up, bow to the will of the majority and let's hear no more of it.

If they do decide to go their own way, then I say good luck to them. Let the voting commence.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#19New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 19:10:29
Didn't you get banned? f***ing hell.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#20New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 19:21:09
@jonnythan Said

Didn't you get banned? f***ing hell.

I could've sworn she left because she was pregnant. Like...a year or two ago.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 19:23:20
@someone_else_again Said

I could've sworn she left because she was pregnant. Like...a year or two ago.

I think this was it.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#22New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 03:32:16
I of course have no stake in the matter, but it seems to me like a union would be beneficial to all, while independence would just be a nuisance, if for any other reason than for the fact you'd have to create brand new infrastructure to replace what you'd lose by leaving.

McKinney, Texas
#23New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 03:34:50
@jonnythan Said

Texas has the third largest federal 'deficit' at $313 billion. That is, Texas receives $313 billion more in federal money than it pays via taxes. So it's sort of dead weight

Yet I bet most of that deficit is because of aid towards farming and, more importantly, ranching. Which brings up another point. We get rid of Texas and you'll have to give up hamburgers. Or at least, will have to pay much more for hamburgers.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#24New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 14:17:59
@crazylikeafox Said

Yet I bet most of that deficit is because of aid towards farming and, more importantly, ranching. Which brings up another point. We get rid of Texas and you'll have to give up hamburgers. Or at least, will have to pay much more for hamburgers.

We could still get beef from Nebraska, Kansas, California, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Colorado...etc.

In addition, we could get high quality beef at low prices from such countries as Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay and Brazil (those countries also have other things we could use also, like oil, natural gas and lithium...etc. )

Beef is not a good enough reason to cling to Texas.

McKinney, Texas
#25New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 21:06:55
@chaski Said

We could still get beef from Nebraska, Kansas, California, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Colorado...etc.

In addition, we could get high quality beef at low prices from such countries as Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay and Brazil (those countries also have other things we could use also, like oil, natural gas and lithium...etc. )

Beef is not a good enough reason to cling to Texas.

It's a reason, not the only reason. There's actually no good reason to start carving up the country like that in the 1st place. Especially if your only reason for wanting it is because you don't like their political leanings.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#26New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 21:18:23
@crazylikeafox Said

It's a reason, not the only reason. There's actually no good reason to start carving up the country like that in the 1st place..

Wasn't there a petition where many Texans were saying that they wanted to leave the USA?

Yes... seems to me it happened right after the last presidential election...

@crazylikeafox Said

Especially if your only reason for wanting it is because you don't like their political leanings.

But, IF i wanted to carve Texas out of the USA, it would be a fiscal issue, not a "political leanings" issue.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#27New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 21:19:11
@chaski Said

But, IF i wanted to carve Texas out of the USA, it would be a fiscal issue, not a "political leanings" issue.

We should rename it "Taxus."
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#28New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 21:21:59
@someone_else_again Said

We should rename it "Taxus."

Then they would be Taxusans...

Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#29New Post! Jul 25, 2014 @ 21:22:59