News & Current Events

Schoolboy mauled to death by polar bear

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#1New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 08:45:06
Norway, yesterday. As if the Norwegians haven't got enough s*** going on in their lives right now, a 17 year old schoolboy from Britain was mauled to death by a polar bear whilst on an adventure holiday. Now, I have every sympathy with the family and I dont want to sound harsh but the boy must have been a complete and utter idiot to approach the animal. Polar bears are known to go out of their way to hunt humans and eat them for food and yet apparently this silly sod walked right up to it. He asked for it.

I think this is a consequence of our soft furry cuddly animal culture. We bring kids up with images of friendly, docile animals and teach them that wild hungry predators are cuddly and furry and nice. Wrong. Animals kill to eat. Animals see humans as easy prey. Animals dont like us wandering around in their domain. We have no claws or sharp teeth to defend ourselves with and we sure as hell aren't fast enough to run away from a charging bear. In all probability this boy thought he could go up and pet the animal and it would roll over to have its tummy tickled or something. What a f***ing numpty! As a species, we need to teach our kids that animals are violent and if either hungry or provoked will attack. Some will attack just for the hell of it. Lesson for everyone to teach their kids. Don't approach polar bears or anything else that might take it into its head to kill you because it may just do that very thing.

I feel sorry for the kid but don't blame the bear. It was only doing what comes naturally to it.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#2New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 10:13:43
I totally agree. This is why I didn't let my kids see many Disney films and others, like Bambi for example. I know the damage these shows can do.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 10:21:15
I disagree with it being down to the disney culture and put it down to idiots.

In American National Parks you get in a s***load of trouble if you do not heed the warnings. In campsites you get thrown off if you keep food in your tent and put a risk to yourself and others around you.

So why does this not happen in other places?
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 10:27:06
I totally blame it on teh VIDEO GAMES, especially the Ultra Violent Game Fluffy Polar Bear 3.

/ sarcasm

It is easy to blame other forms of media over peoples stupidity. By all means it is a tragedy but now a days it is far to easy to blame it on films, music, video games etc.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 10:58:56
Pixar and Disney movies offer good demonstrations and morales in other areas so they're fine just as long as they're not the only things teaching your children.

It is kind of sad though to think that the little boy ran up for a cuddle and got eaten.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 11:02:38
@Electric_Banana Said

Pixar and Disney movies offer good demonstrations and morales in other areas so they're fine just as long as they're not the only things teaching your children.

It is kind of sad though to think that the little boy ran up for a cuddle and got eaten.

EB he was 17
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 11:05:59
@treebee Said

EB he was 17

Some of us guys take awhile to grow up - I might have attempted the same thing at seventeen.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 11:21:09
I think it just comes down to common sense really. If you see a large wild animal, chances are it won't be particularly friendly. It's sad that the boy died but one can hardly blame the animal for reacting how it's supposed to.
JustMeAgain On January 03, 2014
Is it fish?

Derby, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 11:44:19
I don't get it. Was this at a zoo or something?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#10New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 13:41:38
@JustMeAgain Said

I don't get it. Was this at a zoo or something?

No clue. No news link was given.

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 13:45:09
@Dark_Tink Said

No clue. No news link was given.

Here's a link:

guardian.co.uk
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#12New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 14:00:19
@Jacquesmetat Said

I dont want to sound harsh but the boy must have been a complete and utter idiot to approach the animal. Polar bears are known to go out of their way to hunt humans and eat them for food and yet apparently this silly sod walked right up to it. He asked for it.

In all probability this boy thought he could go up and pet the animal and it would roll over to have its tummy tickled or something. What a f***ing numpty!

You really don't read do you? If you had, you would have known that the 17yr DIDN'T walk up to the bear.
Quote:
"The bear got into the tent where Patrick was with two friends, and he just, for some reason, grabbed hold of the other boy and just killed him," he told ITV Channel Television. "There were three of them in a tent and I don't really know too much, why he chose the other boy – perhaps he was the closest one. If he looked at Patrick, he was the chubbiest one, he probably had more meat on him, bless him.

Before you make rash generalizations, READ. No wonder you didn't give a news link.

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 14:20:13
I'm still surprised that they camped somewhere near where there are polar bears in the first place though. I know there were safeguards in place but even so based on the history of attacks taking place I'd have thought they'd take the safer option and camp elsewhere. Though on such a remote island I imagine that would be difficult.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 14:32:24
I was almost killed by a reindeer once in the north of Norway.

Dangerous place.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#15New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 14:37:38
@sister_of_mercy Said

I'm still surprised that they camped somewhere near where there are polar bears in the first place though. I know there were safeguards in place but even so based on the history of attacks taking place I'd have thought they'd take the safer option and camp elsewhere. Though on such a remote island I imagine that would be difficult.

I agree. That was my first thought. "What safety/security measure are they using?"

As an extra precaution, I would have thought that the guides would stay up in shifts, since that area does have a history of attacks.

Such a tragic loss.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs