The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

School bans tag! (or: Think of the children!)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#1New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:22:56
So, as it turns out, a school in Massachussetts has banned kids from playing tag .

This appears to be the latest attempt to "protect our children." I honestly think some parents would be willing to lock children up in a padded room, being spoon fed "appropriate" information and entertainment until they were 18 years old.

I read an interesting theory: our increasing tendency to coddle and insulate our children from the real world is the reason behind the increasing tendency for young adults to get involved in highly dangerous, adrenaline-filled activities such as motorcycle racing, base jumping, etc.

What do you think? Are we "saving" our children from bumps and scrapes only to send them off into their late teens and 20s to kill themselves while trying to have the fun they never got to have as kids?
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:25:15
next on fox extreme feather tickleing
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#3New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:31:40
What is the world coming too?? How pathetic is society becoming?
Let kids be kids. They need to play.

As long as they're not playing Tag with a baseball bat, why worry??

Now a days, you wave at someone the wrong way, and you get sued.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:32:09
@an hysteric mother Said
Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

wtf? Your kid nearly got a scrape and you want to ban tag?

This is lunacy, caused by schools being terrified of law suits. I for one would hope that a court would throw out any suit brought against a school for recess accidents.

Jesus, thank god she wasn't my mother, she'd probably have had a heart attack. I came home with scrapes cuts and bruises all the time. Not to mention broken bones, 2 counts of concussion and more twists and sprains than I can count. I survived!
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:34:06
@stumblinthrulife Said
I survived!

Without a hint of bitterness!!

I reflexively pictured Calvin's dad while reading this post

(not that I disagree, obviously)
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#6New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:35:29
@stumblinthrulife Said
Jesus, thank god she wasn't my mother, she'd probably have had a heart attack. I came home with scrapes cuts and bruises all the time. Not to mention broken bones, 2 counts of concussion and more twists and sprains than I can count. I survived!

I hear ya. I was such a Tomboy growing up. The amount of scars on me....if I had a mother like that, I would have been wrapped in pillows or never allowed outside!
christa On January 14, 2009

, Canada
#7New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:41:15
i belive you let kids be kids
thats just crazy!no tag

Deleted

#8New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:42:08
@dark_tink Said
What is the world coming too?? How pathetic is society becoming?
Let kids be kids. They need to play.

As long as they're not playing Tag with a baseball bat, why worry??

Now a days, you wave at someone the wrong way, and you get sued.

I'm not sure that the problem is actually the number of suits being brought. It's the perception of the number of suits being brought. I mean, we all know America is an extreme litigious society, right? Lawsuits going on everyday, left right and centre, everyone suing everyone else for the merest slight, right? But how many of us actually know someone that has been sued, or is suing? Surely 80% of our friends should be in involved in a suit right now if America is truly that obsessed with lawsuits?

I honestly think that the perception is now feeding itself. Rules are made based on the fear of lawsuits because it's perceived that everyone will sue everyone else. This then strengthens that perception and sets precedent for other members of an industry to follow.

The legal industry is huge, and is no doubt benefiting from all the consulting gigs they are getting. I mean, if a school brings in a legal firm to consult on their liability, what's the lawyer going to say? "Nope, you're fine, no liability here whatsoever, that'll be $1000 for one hours billing please"? Or are they going to spend weeks reviewing every possibility and find all kinds of liability and then charge a small fortune?

I know which option I'd put my money on.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#10New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:46:40
@stumblinthrulife Said
I'm not sure that the problem is actually the number of suits being brought. It's the perception of the number of suits being brought. I mean, we all know America is an extreme litigious society, right? Lawsuits going on everyday, left right and centre, everyone suing everyone else for the merest slight, right? But how many of us actually know someone that has been sued, or is suing? Surely 80% of our friends should be in involved in a suit right now if America is truly that obsessed with lawsuits?

I honestly think that the perception is now feeding itself. Rules are made based on the fear of lawsuits because it's perceived that everyone will sue everyone else. This then strengthens that perception and sets precedent for other members of an industry to follow.

The legal industry is huge, and is no doubt benefiting from all the consulting gigs they are getting. I mean, if a school brings in a legal firm to consult on their liability, what's the lawyer going to say? "Nope, you're fine, no liability here whatsoever, that'll be $1000 for one hours billing please"? Or are they going to spend weeks reviewing every possibility and find all kinds of liability and then charge a small fortune?

I know which option I'd put my money on.

So very true...
wristband On July 19, 2009

Emerald City,
#11New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:47:54
Perhaps the parents/adults behind banning tag were the slow kids...
I know there's been a big push in legislation concerning education in the past few years that aimed at erradicating bullying. Sure, that's fine and dandy. It may be an unattainable goal, since bullies are people--not just certain actions they commit at one given point in time--but it's still nice to try for.
But banning tag?! That's ludacris. If you don't wanna play, then don't play. I mean, it's not freaking dodgeball. Get over it. OMG, I can't believe people are getting worked up over tag. It's not tackle football--get over yourself!
This is so stupid that I wanna tag whoever banned tag with a 2x4...
lander_06 On August 03, 2008

Blanding, Utah
#12New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:48:45
i think thats just dumb they should not of done that. now the school yard will be boring with out any fun of laugh of chasing around out side.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#13New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:49:35
@cmplord Said
Only in America. The school doesnt care about the kids safety as a whole, they just wanna save their own a** from liability.....im hardly surprised considering in America you can sue a company for your coffee being too hot for your liking

I hear ya.

Found this site a few years ago. https://www.stellaawards.com/
Sometimes shocking what lengths people/lawyers will go to.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:55:21
@cmplord Said
in America you can sue a company for your coffee being too hot for your liking

No doubt you're talking about the famous McDonald's coffee case. You owe it to yourself to read the actual facts of that case before you actually believe the popular conclusion.

Deleted

#15New Post! Oct 18, 2006 @ 17:59:45
@cmplord Said
Only in America. The school doesnt care about the kids safety as a whole, they just wanna save their own a** from liability.....im hardly surprised considering in America you can sue a company for your coffee being too hot for your liking

But this is my point. It is the perception that America is like that. I live here, and honestly, people aren't as keen to sue each other as the rest of the world believes. It's just a funny story that fits with what people like to believe about America, and so people believe it without questioning further.

Stella Liebeck had a genuine case against McDonalds. They had been serving coffee at a ludicrous temperature (hot enough to cause severe burns) for some time. Several cases had already been settled out of court.

The "Stella Awards" that most people reference are all fictitious lawsuits. They never happened. All bulls***.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs