The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Scalia Supreme Courts first Talk Radio Justice.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 04:20:30
Fried has been "scaldingly critical" of Scalia and other conservative justices for their willingness to "traffic in some of the most well-worn Tea Party tropes about Obamacare" according to the Washington Post's Greg Sargent. Sargent quotes Fried:

I was appalled to see that at least a couple of them were repeating the most tendentious of the Tea Party type arguments .... I even heard about broccoli. The whole broccoli argument is beneath contempt. To hear it come from the bench was depressing.
Jonathan Chait likened Scalia to "an angry Fox News-watching grandfather," and noted that the "Cornhusker Kickback" was "stripped out before the final bill, but Scalia seems not to know that."

Indeed, Scalia's rhetoric during oral arguments will sound familiar to Dittoheads and regular Fox viewers.
https://mediamatters.org/blog/201203300009
chaski On about 24 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 04:30:43
Broccoli is evil.

Even Pres Bush (HW) knew broccoli was an evil liberal plant.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 04:34:36
@chaski Said

Broccoli is evil.

Even Pres Bush (HW) knew broccoli was an evil liberal plant.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

It's got them cauliflower ears!!!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Apr 02, 2012 @ 04:38:01
So much for impartial jurors!
https://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201203310001
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#5New Post! Apr 03, 2012 @ 01:24:39
@shinobinoz Said

Fried has been "scaldingly critical" of Scalia and other conservative justices for their willingness to "traffic in some of the most well-worn Tea Party tropes about Obamacare" according to the Washington Post's Greg Sargent. Sargent quotes Fried:

I was appalled to see that at least a couple of them were repeating the most tendentious of the Tea Party type arguments .... I even heard about broccoli. The whole broccoli argument is beneath contempt. To hear it come from the bench was depressing.
Jonathan Chait likened Scalia to "an angry Fox News-watching grandfather," and noted that the "Cornhusker Kickback" was "stripped out before the final bill, but Scalia seems not to know that."

Indeed, Scalia's rhetoric during oral arguments will sound familiar to Dittoheads and regular Fox viewers.
https://mediamatters.org/blog/201203300009

Didn't really see anything trying to disprove the arguments. Just a variety red herring logical fallacies.

@shinobinoz Said

So much for impartial jurors!
https://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201203310001

Kagan did not recuse herself, so indeed. So much for impartial jurors.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! Apr 03, 2012 @ 02:46:15
@fractal7221 Said

Didn't really see anything trying to disprove the arguments. Just a variety red herring logical fallacies.

You'd think the Supreme Court Justice would know better than use red herring argument.

@fractal7221 Said
Kagan did not recuse herself, so indeed. So much for impartial jurors.

The Supreme Court says nope! https://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71819.html

You didn't mention Thomas!
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#7New Post! Apr 03, 2012 @ 04:24:06
@shinobinoz Said

You'd think the Supreme Court Justice would know better than use red herring argument.

The argument they are using is closer to the slippery slope argument which is considered an informal logical fallacy. While slippery slope arguments should be avoid when possible, they do have to be given some consideration in Supreme Court cases as decisions made by the court are used in future cases as precedent.

Myself and many others feel giving the federal government the authority to coerce citizens into buying a particular product is a dangerous precedent to set.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Apr 04, 2012 @ 04:41:34
@fractal7221 Said

The argument they are using is closer to the slippery slope argument which is considered an informal logical fallacy. While slippery slope arguments should be avoid when possible, they do have to be given some consideration in Supreme Court cases as decisions made by the court are used in future cases as precedent.

Myself and many others feel giving the federal government the authority to coerce citizens into buying a particular product is a dangerous precedent to set.

We all use health care. I'm for providing for it cheaply up front when we are healthy and continuing that cheaply as we age and get sicker. We ALL pay for people who do not have coverage at exorbitant prices when they go to emergency rooms for simple ailments and out the a** when they go in with no coverage for cancer and such diseases.

Slippery slope is Citizens United!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs