AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#61New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:26:26
@Junkyard_Jim Said

You're defending that statement. Good. Its still not accurate. America was declared America by name shortly after Columbus discovered the land mass (or the islands near it, anyway).
In any case, Obama's statement could be debated at length, but he was speaking in DC and drawing a picture that Mexicans existed before Americans did. Under the English flag, at at least the same time, many people from other nations were referring to themselves as Americans. It was gaffe. He also left out "under God" in his quote from the Declaration of Independence. Someone at the WH is shaky on history and vetting, and Obama should be able to catch these things. There in elementary school lessons.

Really? There?

I think the mistake was more that he addresses our country as "America" since our people are called "Americans".

Regardless. It appears that Spanish people were creating Mexicans before the actual colonization began.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#62New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:34:13
@Junkyard_Jim Said

You're defending that statement. Good. Its still not accurate. America was declared America by name shortly after Columbus discovered the land mass (or the islands near it, anyway).
In any case, Obama's statement could be debated at length, but he was speaking in DC and drawing a picture that Mexicans existed before Americans did. Under the English flag, at at least the same time, many people from other nations were referring to themselves as Americans. It was gaffe. He also left out "under God" in his quote from the Declaration of Independence. Someone at the WH is shaky on history and vetting, and Obama should be able to catch these things. There in elementary school lessons.

Incidentally, I did not learn the Declaration of Independence in school (not even elementary) and I've just now looked it up.

It doesn't say "under God" anywhere.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#63New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:35:52
"Mexican", as word comes from the Nahuatl language which refers to part of the Aztec empire, which did predate the Spaniards by at least century and a half. Tenochtitlan was the city name, but the people were called "Mexica" or Mexicans.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#64New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:45:40
@8FlOz Said

That, or they nuke china...all hell would break loose, but im pretty sure that NK forces could get out of port and possibly be able to hit some parts of Alaska at best.

They won't nuke China, they're 1 of North Korea's only allies. Something you have to remember is that North Korea's number 1 priority is capturing South Korea and controlling the entire peninsula. If nuking Alaska could achieve that I'm sure they would, but I don't see how that would.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#65New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:51:15
@someone_else Said

Incidentally, I did not learn the Declaration of Independence in school (not even elementary) and I've just now looked it up.

Just like it has to say "under God" in the Pledge. Not the original, but people have to hold on to that like a sinking ship.

I don't mind it there, and I wouldn't feel bad if it weren't there. But it's such a big deal, and it drives me nuts. I mean really?
Not a dude.

Deleted

#66New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:53:30
@squirt_aka_casey Said

Just like it has to say "under God" in the Pledge. Not the original, but people have to hold on to that like a sinking ship.

I don't mind it there, and I wouldn't feel bad if it weren't there. But it's such a big deal, and it drives me nuts. I mean really?

Yeah...I knew about it being added in the Pledge of Allegiance, but up until 20 minutes ago, I'd never even seen the Declaration of Independence. So I looked it up and got 'the original' with the original spelling and everything. It says God once and Creator once, but not "under God". So I wondered if Jim was talking about the Pledge or what.

So they added it to both?
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#67New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:53:40
@crazylikeafox Said

They won't nuke China, they're 1 of North Korea's only allies. Something you have to remember is that North Korea's number 1 priority is capturing South Korea and controlling the entire peninsula. If nuking Alaska could achieve that I'm sure they would, but I don't see how that would.

Old man Jong is a crazy bastard....dont underestimate him.

I think hes an asian Dale Gribble
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#68New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:57:38
@someone_else Said

@DiscordTiger Said

"Mexican", as word comes from the Nahuatl language which refers to part of the Aztec empire, which did predate the Spaniards by at least century and a half. Tenochtitlan was the city name, but the people were called "Mexica" or Mexicans.

Mexico did not assume its national name until 1821. It was known as New Spain prior to that. https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas_mexico/new_spain_viceroyalty.jpg

I stand corrected on the DoI. I was referring to "endowed by their Creator".
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#69New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:57:52
@someone_else Said

Yeah...I knew about it being added in the Pledge of Allegiance, but up until 20 minutes ago, I'd never even seen the Declaration of Independence. So I looked it up and got 'the original' with the original spelling and everything. It says God once and Creator once, but not "under God". So I wondered if Jim was talking about the Pledge or what.

So they added it to both?

No, it's not been added to the DoI, but people want to think that it's there. In particularly Christians.

Most people don't like to think the founders stood for separation of church and state even though that was the whole point of them leaving England in the first place. I know there were many more issues underlying our declaration, and creation of our union, but, it was clear to the founding fathers that much of the religious practices in the English government were corrupting the country, and hiding behind God.

I'll admit that even they didn't separate church and state as well as they should or could have, but it was the principle.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#70New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 01:02:51
@Junkyard_Jim Said

Mexico did not assume its national name until 1821. It was known as New Spain prior to that. https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas_mexico/new_spain_viceroyalty.jpg

My point, and hers too I believe, was that the Mexican people existed before "Mexico" did. I'd even be willing to guess that it was called Mexico because Mexicans lived there. Not the other way around.

Where the people of Israel called Israelites because that's what they named their state? No. Israel is the state of the Israelites.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#71New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 01:05:48
@Junkyard_Jim Said

when the Spaniards officially conquered the Mexica people or the Aztec empire in 1521 they renamed stuff, with the "Mexico city" that we are now familiar with, but prior to that it still existed. the people still referred to themselves as Mexica. That was their word for their people in their native language.
https://www.wsu.edu/~dee/CIVAMRCA/AZTECS.HTM

They may not of had a flag, but that does not mean they did not exist.
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#72New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 17:39:34
@someone_else Said

Seriously? That's what you're on about? You realize that the Mexican people (Spanish + Indian = Mexican) existed before Mexico declared it's independence right? He's talking about an ethnicity, not a country of origin.

@DiscordTiger Said

@someone_else Said

My point, and hers too I believe, was that the Mexican people existed before "Mexico" did. I'd even be willing to guess that it was called Mexico because Mexicans lived there. Not the other way around.

Where the people of Israel called Israelites because that's what they named their state? No. Israel is the state of the Israelites.

Both of your responses made me curious. Some of what you state is correct, but not wholly accurate. The Houston Institute of Culture has an extensive write-up on the history and pre-history of Mexico. The area was not known as Mexico as we would see it in today's terms. There was a smaller area known as the Valley of Mexica that was populated by the Mexica tribe of indians, but they were by no means the only tribe of ethnic Aztecs in the pre-Mexico region. There were 2 other large tribes, competing for influence and power, in that area and other areas of present day Mexico, also, and any number of smaller tribes staying out of their way since they all had a penchant for human sacrifice.

Mexicans, according to the HIoC are citizens of Mexico or ethnic descendants of people from Mexico. Also, the Institute states that the combination of Spanish and Indian marriages and/or relations created a culture of people known as Mestizos, not Mexicans.

For me, still a gaffe.
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#73New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 18:15:52
@8FlOz Said

Sarah Palin is a proven idiot.

And your a proven stoner, atleast people can believe what Palin is saying
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#74New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 18:20:32
@8FlOz Said

That, or they nuke china...all hell would break loose, but im pretty sure that NK forces could get out of port and possibly be able to hit some parts of Alaska at best.

Why would the comunist north korea nuke another comunist country? just makes no sense what so ever, infact put down the blunt its making you say stupid s*** that makes no sense
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#75New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 18:40:32
@Junkyard_Jim Said

Both of your responses made me curious. Some of what you state is correct, but not wholly accurate. The Houston Institute of Culture has an extensive write-up on the history and pre-history of Mexico. The area was not known as Mexico as we would see it in today's terms. There was a smaller area known as the Valley of Mexica that was populated by the Mexica tribe of indians, but they were by no means the only tribe of ethnic Aztecs in the pre-Mexico region. There were 2 other large tribes, competing for influence and power, in that area and other areas of present day Mexico, also, and any number of smaller tribes staying out of their way since they all had a penchant for human sacrifice.

Mexicans, according to the HIoC are citizens of Mexico or ethnic descendants of people from Mexico. Also, the Institute states that the combination of Spanish and Indian marriages and/or relations created a culture of people known as Mestizos, not Mexicans.

For me, still a gaffe.

oh, of course, it will be.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs