Forums:
Health & Fitness

Running.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 29, 2012 @ 20:32:53
So in the past I have tried the gym but that got boring and can't afford it now, swimming - local pool too busy to swim proper lengths, wii fit - took far too long to get any kind of results. I stick to a balanced diet most of the time however because I am on steroid tablets it is not enough on it's own, I need to back it up with some kind of regular exercise.

In the last few months I have just exercised intermittently. I am at the point now where I am ready to start properly again and WANT to do it and most of all I want to try running. I tried once years ago but didn't know what I was doing or have real trainers. I got myself some proper running gear and went out today, was knackered easily at first but Neil gave me a couple of tips - breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth naturally, land on the heels then push down to the toes - that really really helped. I pushed too hard today though and know my limits now and will stick to them tomorrow.

Anyone else run? Do you have any tips that help? How did you find it at first? How do you stay motivated?
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#2New Post! Jul 29, 2012 @ 20:42:55
@boobear Said

So in the past I have tried the gym but that got boring and can't afford it now, swimming - local pool too busy to swim proper lengths, wii fit - took far too long to get any kind of results. I stick to a balanced diet most of the time however because I am on steroid tablets it is not enough on it's own, I need to back it up with some kind of regular exercise.

In the last few months I have just exercised intermittently. I am at the point now where I am ready to start properly again and WANT to do it and most of all I want to try running. I tried once years ago but didn't know what I was doing or have real trainers. I got myself some proper running gear and went out today, was knackered easily at first but Neil gave me a couple of tips - breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth naturally, land on the heels then push down to the toes - that really really helped. I pushed too hard today though and know my limits now and will stick to them tomorrow.

Anyone else run? Do you have any tips that help? How did you find it at first? How do you stay motivated?

I don't run, but I bike every day so for that reason I can't offer advice on form or that sort of topic, but I can suggest something about keeping motivated. What I do to keep motivated is basically integrate your exercise into your day. I bike to my job every day so I always get a workout that way. Maybe you can integrate running or jogging to the supermarket or something instead of hopping in the car or what not

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2012 @ 22:01:14
@Tar Said

I don't run, but I bike every day so for that reason I can't offer advice on form or that sort of topic, but I can suggest something about keeping motivated. What I do to keep motivated is basically integrate your exercise into your day. I bike to my job every day so I always get a workout that way. Maybe you can integrate running or jogging to the supermarket or something instead of hopping in the car or what not

Thanks for that all advice very welcome! I don't drive often but I do get the bus so maybe I'll try and get off a stop earlier and stuff like that, food for thought, thanks.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2012 @ 22:14:04
I'm not allowed to run but I know many who do. When they started the joined a running club and were taught how to run properly. I am ignorant when it comes to running so I thought a person just ran/jogged but you have to walk for so long, run for so long, walk so long, run so long. I am not sure of the specifics but I do know there are running clubs that teach how to run and its free to join, at least it is here.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#5New Post! Jul 29, 2012 @ 23:02:42
@boobear Said

Thanks for that all advice very welcome! I don't drive often but I do get the bus so maybe I'll try and get off a stop earlier and stuff like that, food for thought, thanks.

Another thing you could probably do is keep track of your times and keep trying to beat your record. Also, remember that often enough, intensity is more important than duration. Just depends on what kind of result you are looking for
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#6New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 00:00:59
I used to run all the time, I'm starting again in October to train for the Big Sur Marathon in April.

Building up mental endurance for me is the toughest part. I have had the most success with making finite mental goals as I go along to push myself a little more. For example, I fix on a light pole in the distance and tell myself "you will make it to that light pole." Once I'm there, I've already fixated on another object to push myself to. Keeping my mind busy helps me keep going and prevents the whole self-doubt thing from creeping in.

My other rule is unless it's a jog/walk day, I absolutely CANNOT walk during my course. It doesn't matter if I'm dying from a cramp or my jog is slower than a speed walk, not letting myself break from the jog helps me build mental and physical stamina.

To build speed, I vary my routine a lot and combine it with cross training. One day I will run 3 miles, and every quarter mile stop and do calisthenics (pushups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, star jumpers, etc.) Another day I will run 6 miles; the next I'll run 3 but alternate between sprinting and walking. I try to do a hill day once a week, as well as a day on an uneven surface like gravel, dirt, or cross-country, and if there are any mountains near you, make an attempt to get up to high altitude to train every once in awhile. I used to drive to 6,800 above sea level once a week and run 3 miles cross-country and WOW that is hard when you are used to 3,000 ft or less.

For cross training, I use home DVD systems and/or swim. I despise the gym, I'll go for pilates or barre-sculpt but that's it. P90x and Insanity are great for cross training, I'm not in good shape so I've been doing P90 and Brazilian Butt Lift.

The very last thing is regulating breathing, I try to take deep breaths, hold it for 4 seconds, and then release long and slowly. This burns like no ones business the first week or so, but it helps build your cardiovascular endurance faster and control your heart-rate. I've seen a lot of friends struggle with this, so I figure I'd throw it in.

Good luck!

, California
#7New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 00:06:43
Also, running every day is not good for your joints and when you are just starting out you are at a much higher risk of injury. Running every other day is a much better way to start.

A good way to start is 30 seconds walk, 30 seconds jog for 4 miles every other day, then bumped it to 45 seconds jog, 30 seconds walk, then 60 seconds, then 1 min 30 secs, then 2 mins, then 3 mins, etc. Helps build tolerance to body soreness and keeps mental and physical bad habits from forming.

, Canada
#8New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 02:47:56
@magically_delicious Said

Also, running every day is not good for your joints and when you are just starting out you are at a much higher risk of injury. Running every other day is a much better way to start.

A good way to start is 30 seconds walk, 30 seconds jog for 4 miles every other day, then bumped it to 45 seconds jog, 30 seconds walk, then 60 seconds, then 1 min 30 secs, then 2 mins, then 3 mins, etc. Helps build tolerance to body soreness and keeps mental and physical bad habits from forming.

Thank you. I made a post earlier about how they have running lessons here and you basically are taught how to run. You walk for so long, run so long, etc. I could not remember the specifics so thank you for posting it.

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 18:23:12
@DorkySupergirl Said

I'm not allowed to run but I know many who do. When they started the joined a running club and were taught how to run properly. I am ignorant when it comes to running so I thought a person just ran/jogged but you have to walk for so long, run for so long, walk so long, run so long. I am not sure of the specifics but I do know there are running clubs that teach how to run and its free to join, at least it is here.

Thanks, well that's good to hear as I was definitely doing that last night - running and walking! There are some about, I think some are attached to gyms so have to pay, I'll have a look when I'm feeling more confident.

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 18:28:11
@magically_delicious Said

Thanks for all your advice - very helpful, I didn't realise I am supposed to alternate it with walking so that makes me feel better. 4 miles to start? That would take me at least 90 minutes - big chunk out of my evening! Would 30 minutes be ok to start on then build it up?
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#11New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 18:29:56
I used to jog every morning. Now I run. I get tired after about 3 minutes, but I keep trying. The only advice I can give is never give up! You can only get better.

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 18:31:09
@Cpat92 Said

I used to jog every morning. Now I run. I get tired after about 3 minutes, but I keep trying. The only advice I can give is never give up! You can only get better.

Thanks dude, exactly my theory!

, Canada
#13New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 18:50:31
@boobear Said

Thanks, well that's good to hear as I was definitely doing that last night - running and walking! There are some about, I think some are attached to gyms so have to pay, I'll have a look when I'm feeling more confident.

Your welcome. I'm sorry I could not remember how long they recommend one should walk for and for how long one should run for, I could only remember that starting out one is suppose to alternate with running and walking. But a member a couple posts up, not sure if you saw it, advised as to how long you should walk or run for.

I looked online and the place I was thinking of that has free running classes and weekly run is not in the UK. Its a fitness store that sells like workout clothes and stuff and they have running programs. Maybe a shop where you are has the same as we have here. Might be worth checking out since they are usually free. Free is good, I love free.

, California
#14New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 00:47:15
@boobear Said

Thanks for all your advice - very helpful, I didn't realise I am supposed to alternate it with walking so that makes me feel better. 4 miles to start? That would take me at least 90 minutes - big chunk out of my evening! Would 30 minutes be ok to start on then build it up?

Alternating with walking helps out a lot but you don't necessarily have to do it. When people first start running, the body gets tired since the correct muscles for self carriage aren't developed yet. It's easy to form bad habits because no one is there with you, for example you'll become less springy from heel to toe and start stomping which is what leads to shin splints and tiny tears in the tendons surrounding your feet. You may also start hunching, which causes cramps and keeps you from keeping yourself well oxygenated.

You'll be surprised how fast you go though, try to keep your heart-rate and breathing as steady as possible whether you are walking or jogging. A drastic rise or drop signifies you are pushing yourself too hard or not enough. Finding this middle ground is key to getting into a rhythm and building endurance.

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 17:54:11
Have found it really hard today without Neil to keep my company and muster up my competitive streak. Got it together by the end but I hope I can get better. I'm so bad at running - I cycle or use a cross trainer fine, but I find running hard - is it the sort of thing I can get better at fairly quickly? I need more motivation!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs