Forums:
Politics

Rough economic times

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
frizzy On October 08, 2008

Irons,, Michigan
#1New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 14:58:40
We are in a pretty bad economic times. My question is if our representives in Washington DC got us into this mess why don't they take a cut in pay to help get us out of it??Senators and congresspersons and their staff should shoulder part of the blame and cut their spending.Personally I think that they should have paid all of the mortgages off and then the homeowner would have had money to purchase new autos, new furniture, college funds go on vacations like they (the congress and represenyatives do, and they could tax the mortagage payoff and get some of they money back.?What do you think???
BeTTyBeLL On November 28, 2010
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#2New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 15:06:20
@frizzy Said
We are in a pretty bad economic times. My question is if our representives in Washington DC got us into this mess why don't they take a cut in pay to help get us out of it??Senators and congresspersons and their staff should shoulder part of the blame and cut their spending.Personally I think that they should have paid all of the mortgages off and then the homeowner would have had money to purchase new autos, new furniture, college funds go on vacations like they (the congress and represenyatives do, and they could tax the mortagage payoff and get some of they money back.?What do you think???

I think that is great idea, but it would never happen. how should I say this...We the working class American's are going to have to stand together in order for this to work, but there in lie your problem, how do get 5 people let alone millions to force the government to do thier job? There are many ways, it just takes us all acting together to do something. I'd love to see what would happen if the American workforce one day said, "NO I am not working, you see what we provide for the country yet you still s*** on us." IMO it would also be a way for us to appreate one another, think if for one day you could not get gas, or food, or go out to eat, or rent movies, because America took the day off...
KZ_page On December 01, 2008

Deleted

lakeville,
#3New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 15:10:29
yea sure, that would be nice to have the government pay for those peoples homes,
think about it, does that make sense,yea let me buy one too then. lol
I say both parties need to quit there bickering with one another,and start working on getting things back in order.actually lets get rid of both parties and go with a independent party, cause we had the Republican part running the country and the Democrat in control.So both are to blame for this mess
BeTTyBeLL On November 28, 2010
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#4New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 15:14:15
Did ya'll watch the debate last night..I felt like I was watching a rerun of two tards...
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#5New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 16:14:55
Oh I thought this topic was rough sex
40isnotsobad On December 07, 2010

Houston, Texas
#6New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 16:24:52
@frizzy Said

Do you mean they should pay off the mortgages of the people that bought homes thy couldn't afford (and KNEW they couldn't afford)? They say that this mess was caused by subprime mortgage lending which is true. However, these people should have known what they could afford and what they couldn't.

I paid $72,000 for my house...I could have gone and bought a $200,000 house...I am certain they would have made the loan...but I KNEW how much house I could actually afford.

So, the government should pay off those mortgages but I still have to pay mine every month because I was responsible? No way...they would have to pay off EVERY mortgage in the country. I would love a new car...I have never owned a new car...EVER. I would like to go on a nice vacation. I would like new furniture...never bought new furniture either.

Call me coldhearted, but I don't really feel sorry that these people believed they could afford houses they couldn't afford...
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#7New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 16:37:44
@40isnotsobad Said
Do you mean they should pay off the mortgages of the people that bought homes thy couldn't afford (and KNEW they couldn't afford)? They say that this mess was caused by subprime mortgage lending which is true. However, these people should have known what they could afford and what they couldn't.

I paid $72,000 for my house...I could have gone and bought a $200,000 house...I am certain they would have made the loan...but I KNEW how much house I could actually afford.

So, the government should pay off those mortgages but I still have to pay mine every month because I was responsible? No way...they would have to pay off EVERY mortgage in the country. I would love a new car...I have never owned a new car...EVER. I would like to go on a nice vacation. I would like new furniture...never bought new furniture either.

Call me coldhearted, but I don't really feel sorry that these people believed they could afford houses they couldn't afford...

This world economic diaster was not caused by subprimes mortagages. Rather it was caused by Wall Street selling Institutioanl Financial Swaps guaranteeing the investors that invested in worthless mortgages. When the mortgages fell the swaps paid them off; causing financial ruin for brokerage house; therby causing the financial collapse of all related holding. This is only the beginning. Wall Street is only beginning to fell the effects ofthe guaranteed financial swaps.
Lola_Getz On October 15, 2008

Deleted

Fullerton,
#8New Post! Oct 08, 2008 @ 22:52:14
Subprime lending is indeed part of the problem, but the major problem could be lending people more money than the value of the assets. Also, Fannie Mae and Fredie Mack were exempted from some of the necessary regulations. Kudos to Bill Clinton and the Republican Congress that tried to avoid that. With Barack Obama as president it will probably get worse.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013