The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
US Election 2012

Romney campaign bought $5000 worth of stuff at Walmart, which they gave to supporters to "donate" during relief aid events.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#1New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:07:14
https://m.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/10/5000-shopping-run-walmart-turned-romneys-campaign-stop-relief-event/58529/

Wow, lol.

Quote:
Mitt Romney was really concerned that his "Storm Relief Event" in Kettering, Ohio yesterday would look like a dud, so he and his team stocked their donation tables with $5,000 worth of supplies at Walmart. The props, according to Buzzfeed's McKay Coppins, were things like granola bars, canned food, and diapers which were strategically placed to make sure that the photographs taken at Romney's "Storm Relief" campaign didn't a show very un-busy, un-stocked relief table (what else do you expect when you give people short notice to donate their canned goods?).

Two teenage boys retrieved a jar of peanut butter each, and got in line. When it was their turn, they handed their "donations" to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest "Thank you."
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#2New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:30:05
Relief organizations consistently say that the best thing you can do is just give money, because then they can buy only the things people actually need, without having to deal with sorting through a bunch of random stuff. But Romney just had to get in his photo op, even if it means buying props to give his supporters for them to give right back to him.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:32:14
That's pretty funny.

Appearances are everything.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:50:20
@Lili Said

Relief organizations consistently say that the best thing you can do is just give money, because then they can buy only the things people actually need, without having to deal with sorting through a bunch of random stuff. But Romney just had to get in his photo op, even if it means buying props to give his supporters for them to give right back to him.

Forgive my confusion, Lili, this is saying Mr. Romney or his associates bought good for the people affected by the storm and handed them out only to make them give it back to him because it was just a photo op?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:53:50
@DorkySupergirl Said

Forgive my confusion, Lili, this is saying Mr. Romney or his associates bought good for the people affected by the storm and handed them out only to make them give it back to him because it was just a photo op?

They had scheduled campaign events, but changed them to "relief efforts" or something like that so as not to look callous campaigning during the hurricane. So they basically held campaign events as scheduled but asked people to bring some canned food with them as well. Since all these people were already coming, most of them didn't bring anything. The Romney staffers bought a bunch of food to put on the tables to make it look a little less sad in the photos. They handed the campaign-bought goods to people showing up to make it look like people arriving were bringing the supplies.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:54:11
@DorkySupergirl Said

Yep.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:06:19
@Lili Said

https://m.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/10/5000-shopping-run-walmart-turned-romneys-campaign-stop-relief-event/58529/

Wow, lol.

As if the voters won't see throught that!

, Canada
#8New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:28:45
@jonnythan Said

They had scheduled campaign events, but changed them to "relief efforts" or something like that so as not to look callous campaigning during the hurricane. So they basically held campaign events as scheduled but asked people to bring some canned food with them as well. Since all these people were already coming, most of them didn't bring anything. The Romney staffers bought a bunch of food to put on the tables to make it look a little less sad in the photos. They handed the campaign-bought goods to people showing up to make it look like people arriving were bringing the supplies.

@Lili Said

Yep.

Thank you for explaining. I thought this is what the article was saying but I thought I must be misunderstanding because no one could be this cruel to pretend to give to those who need the food and supplies so badly and then take it away.

To pretend supporters bought it but actually being staff using campaign money to buy is sleazy but if going to those who need it, I could overlook it but to take back what staffers bought from those who need it, this is a low I thought no one would sink to and really quite heartbreaking someone could be so cruel.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#9New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:28:48
https://americablog.com/2012/10/romney-shows-campaign-video-at-hurricane-sandy-relief-event.html

This was clearly a campaign event poorly masked as a "charity event".
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#10New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:30:41
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thank you for explaining. I thought this is what the article was saying but I thought I must be misunderstanding because no one could be this cruel to pretend to give to those who need the food and supplies so badly and then take it away.

To pretend supporters bought it but actually being staff using campaign money to buy is sleazy but if going to those who need it, I could overlook it but to take back what staffers bought from those who need it, this is a low I thought no one would sink to and really quite heartbreaking someone could be so cruel.

I believe they did give the stuff to charity afterward, though they haven't confirmed that.

, Canada
#11New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:32:46
@Lili Said

I believe they did give the stuff to charity afterward, though they haven't confirmed that.

Oh, I see, so I did misunderstand after all. I thought they took the stuff back after.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#12New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:50:00
@DorkySupergirl Said

Oh, I see, so I did misunderstand after all. I thought they took the stuff back after.

Yeah, that would be pretty crazy. Charity organizations really prefer cash though because sorting through donations takes volunteers' time, it costs money, and it's much less efficient during a time when efficiency is paramount. Romney was a governor, he already knows this. This whole event was just about appearances, and not about helping people.

, Canada
#13New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 19:50:08
@Lili Said

Yeah, that would be pretty crazy. Charity organizations really prefer cash though because sorting through donations takes volunteers' time, it costs money, and it's much less efficient during a time when efficiency is paramount. Romney was a governor, he already knows this. This whole event was just about appearances, and not about helping people.

Would he be allowed to show up with a big cheque of his own money to donate to local Red Cross?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#14New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 20:26:10
@DorkySupergirl Said

Would he be allowed to show up with a big cheque of his own money to donate to local Red Cross?

didn't trump say he had 5 million he wanted to give to charity?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Oct 31, 2012 @ 20:27:33
@Willi Said

didn't trump say he had 5 million he wanted to give to charity?

No. He said he would give $5 million to charity if Obama released all of his old personal records to him. Not quite the same thing, considering Trump knows Obama will never cave to such a ridiculous demand.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs