Politics

Romney Admits He Doesn't Care About the "Very Poor"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...15 16 17 · >>
CausaMortis On April 20, 2012

San Antonio, Texas
#1New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:24:48
It appears Romney has just committed the biggest political sin imaginable: he said what he was actually thinking.

"During his interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien, Romney tried to position himself as a defender of the middle class--something Obama has gotten a head start on.

"I'm in this race because I care about Americans," Romney said. "I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it."

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-hits-morning-shows-armed-talking-points-obama-143919359.html

While the Romney camp will try to argue that his own words will be taken out of context, for the message he was trying to assert was that who he actually cares about are the 90% middle class, when taken as a whole what he said boils down to exactly this:

"I don't care very poor, they can live off foodstamps for all I care; the people I care about are the ones who can get me elected."

task,tsk, tsk Romney bad choice of words indeed. This mess is not going away any time soon, it will stick with Romney all the way to election day. Republicans might do best to reconsider voting for Gingrich.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:28:34
I think you took his quote out of context and are using it unfairly.

His point is that there's a safety net for the very poor. They get foodstamps, housing, and medicaid. However, you don't have to make much money to be making too much to qualify for any of those programs. The low-income often have a worse time of it than the no-income.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:29:30
By the way, your title appears to be a deliberate alteration to change his meaning.

He didn't say he doesn't care about the very poor. He said he's not "concerned about the very poor." He also said he's not concerned about the very rich.

San Antonio, Texas
#4New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:30:19
@jonnythan Said

I think you took his quote out of context and are using it unfairly.

His point is that there's a safety net for the very poor. They get foodstamps, housing, and medicaid. However, you don't have to make much money to be making too much to qualify for any of those programs. The low-income often have a worse time of it than the no-income.

His intent is quite clear, essentially the people who he cares about are the people who can help him get elected. The poor can live off food stamps, section 8 housing, and unemployment checks.

Besides they're not going to vote for him anyways, so why bother?

I know what Romney was trying to convey, but if you look at the actual intent, that is essentially it.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:33:26
@CausaMortis Said
I know what Romney was trying to say, but if you look at the actual intent, that is essentially it.

I disagree. Do you think he was also saying that he knows the very rich won't vote for him either?

He was emphasizing that (in his opinion) the middle class is getting increasingly screwed in this country. The very poor are doing sort of OK and have a safety net - it won't be a primary focus of his presidency to help them more. It will be a primary focus to make a better situation for the working people in the middle.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#6New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:35:21
I think what it means is this...

The middle class are often the ones struggling the most. Those who are wealthy do not need help because to say the obvious, they are wealthy.

Those who are poor have medicare(I think that is what you guys call it in America), they have food stamps and other programs to assist them. While it may not be perfect, they have help and assistance.

Middle class make too much for help from the government if they need it but are not wealthy so they fall through the cracks.

Think about it...A rich person gets sick and can pay for treatment, a poor person gets sick and the government pays for treatment, a middle class person gets sick and loses it all for not being able to pay the bills.

Its not about not caring or having a heart, its about knowing middle class are most at risk to lose it all because they have no safety net if one thing goes wrong.

Perhaps he could have chosen his words better, perhaps they were taken out of context but I feel his main message was accurate.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:37:02
Medicare is the program for old people. Medicaid is the one for poor people.

I get them confused all the time too.

San Antonio, Texas
#8New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:39:21
@jonnythan Said

I disagree. Do you think he was also saying that he knows the very rich won't vote for him either?

the rich aren't going to get him elected, well at least not as far as votes go, though they'll contribute to the tune of millions to his campaign.

Quote:

He was emphasizing that (in his opinion) the middle class is getting increasingly screwed in this country. The very poor are doing sort of OK and have a safety net - it won't be a primary focus of his presidency to help them more.

The problem is that he could have said exactly that, and left it there. When any politician against the better judgements choses to say such words that can be interpreted many different ways (including my own) you are doing yourself no favors. Like it or not Romney has just helped cement the notion that he is a privileged, ivy league, elitist, trust funder, who's simply out of touch with ordinary Americans. There's just no way of getting around that.

Again my point is that not only did Romney shoot himself in the foot, but Republicans might be best to reconsider voting for Gingrich instead.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:41:14
Just so no one misses it, here is the whole quote:

"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich. They're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling and I'll continue to take that message across the nation."

So it looks to me like that's pretty much exactly what he did say. Taking this quote as "Romney is so rich and privileged and out of touch that he doesn't care about poor people" is silly partisan talking-head type s***.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:42:59
I might take issue with his "90% are struggling" bit. He's referring to the 90% in the middle, which means the 5-85 percentile.

IIRC, the 85th percentile in income puts you well into the six figure range. Saying that people making $150,000 a year are struggling is a bit much.

San Antonio, Texas
#11New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:44:34
@jonnythan Said

Just so no one misses it, here is the whole quote:

So it looks to me like that's pretty much exactly what he did say. Taking this quote as "Romney is so rich and privileged and out of touch that he doesn't care about poor people" is silly partisan talking-head type s***.

You are burying your head in the sand my friend, it doesn't matter what Romney was trying to convey, what really matters - what always matters- is how this message will be perceived by most people.

Look if you think Romney deserves the benefit of a doubt after what Mitt Romney did in the primaries, by spending millions in negative attack ads to get ahead, then I am sure that the Gingrich campaign doesn't share your sympathies.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:45:46
@CausaMortis Said

You are burying your head in the sand my friend, it doesn't matter what Romney was trying to convey, what really matters - what always matters- is how this message will be perceived by virtually most people.

Look after what Mitt Romney did to Gingrich by essentially trashing him with negative attacks ads, if you think Romney deserved the benefit of a doubt or some leeway, then I suggest taking your urgent pleas to the Gingrich camp.

Well when you break it down into "Romney doesn't care about poor people," what do you think their perception of the message will be?

San Antonio, Texas
#13New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:48:32
@jonnythan Said

Well when you break it down into "Romney doesn't care about poor people," what do you think their perception of the message will be?

Romney deserves to have his own words shoved right back down his throat, every bit as much as he went negative on Newt. Again if you want to give Romney the benefit of a doubt, by refusing to do exactly what he did to Newt by going totally negative and taking Newt's words out of context, then you are in a sheer minority.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Sorry Romney, this one's sticking around until election time.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:50:04
@CausaMortis Said

Romney deserves to have his own words shoved right back down his throat

That would make sense if you were using his words and not using different words that convey - by your own admission - what you think he he really meant instead of what he said.

@CausaMortis Said
every bit as much as he went negative on Newt. Again if you want to give Romney the benefit of a doubt, by not doing exactly what he did to Newt by going totally negative, then you are in a sheer minority. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I never pegged you as much of a Newt Gingrich fan, but apparently you are.

San Antonio, Texas
#15New Post! Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:52:32
@jonnythan Said

That would make sense if you were using his words and not using different words that convey - by your own admission - what you think he he really meant instead of what he said.

I never pegged you as much of a Newt Gingrich fan, but apparently you are.

I am using Romney's exact words, he flat out said he doesn't care about the very poor. That's a fact. Regardless of whether you want to place more emphasis on what he said preceding that statement, it doesn't make it any less a fact.

As for being a Newt fan, I am a fan of the saying, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Romney will not have any sympathy from me, like he had no sympathy for Newt.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...15 16 17 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs