Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:32:05
Quote:
Neuroscientists are examining if political allegiances are hard-wired into people, after finding evidence that the brains of conservatives are a different shape to those of left-wingers.

Brain scans of 90 students at University College London (UCL) uncovered a "strong correlation" between the thickness of two areas of grey matter and an individual's politics.

Right-wingers had a more pronounced [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala"]amygdala[/URL] ? a primitive part of the brain associated with emotion ? while those from the opposite end of the spectrum had thicker [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterior_cingulate_cortex"]anterior cingulates[/URL]. The research was carried out by Geraint Rees, director of the UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, who admitted he was "very surprised" by the results.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/rightwing-brains-different-2171127.html

People are of course different but it seems political similarities are more an indication of similarities in the brain.
Tanglewire On March 31, 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:38:05
@SparklyKatie Said

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/rightwing-brains-different-2171127.html

People are of course different but it seems political similarities are more an indication of similarities in the brain.

I always veered towards social class and peer influence being the strongest influences on political leanings. There's so much about the brain we don't understand. I often wonder what will come out next, perhaps those with a thicker cerebral cortex prefer cats to dogs?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:39:34
It's misleading to say that because people have different brains they have something 'hard-wired' into them. Brains change their structure over time as they mature and experience things, their shape is not prefabricated.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#4New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:40:55
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Left wing phrenology... funny stuff...
\m//O_O\\m/

#5New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:44:51
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Phrenology has nothing to do with psychology. Sorry you fail.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#6New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:46:52
@SparklyKatie Said

Phrenology has nothing to do with psychology. Sorry you fail.

Sarcasm detector broken much?
\m//O_O\\m/

#7New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:48:59
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Sarcasm detector broken much?

No it's working fine, unfortunately TFS doesn't provide a sarcasm font so it's pretty much lost via the interwebs.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#8New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 17:52:31
@SparklyKatie Said

No it's working fine, unfortunately TFS doesn't provide a sarcasm font so it's pretty much lost via the interwebs.

true dat... the interwebbyz needs an 'aussie speak' function, cos people miss our sarcasm...
\m//O_O\\m/

#9New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 18:00:29
@bob_the_fisherman Said

true dat... the interwebbyz needs an 'aussie speak' function, cos people miss our sarcasm...

Lol @ Aussie speak. We Brits have pretty decent sarcasm too yanno. Well you should, we gave it to you.

That was sarcasm btw.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#10New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 18:55:14
@buffalobill90 Said

It's misleading to say that because people have different brains they have something 'hard-wired' into them. Brains change their structure over time as they mature and experience things, their shape is not prefabricated.

Yup, this. Just like when a developing brain is injured, other parts of the brain can adapt to take over those functions. The parts of the brain that take on "extra" duties will show it physically. When you speak to infants and young children, their brains develop physically. Seems to me that if you practice compassion, the amygdala would grow physically. We are not at all surprised when the muscles a person uses tend to be larger than those not used, but somehow, people cannot accept that the brain works the same way. If there is a difference, it must be that the brain acted on the behavior and never the other way around.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 19:17:50
I always thought conservatives were a bit more primitive.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#12New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 20:08:13
@Electric_Banana Said

I always thought conservatives were a bit more primitive.

Me too. lol. Just because we liberals use and refine emotions which occur in the primitive part of the brain does not mean that we are less primitive. There's a reason that the amygdala is still around, and since it is so much older than reason, it is more refined. Besides I'd like to see original studies on this. I'd like to see how size comparisons match up.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#13New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 20:14:53
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Actually, the Nazis dabbled with studies along the same line, but having to do with dimensions of the over all head...weird science...searching for the "perfect" super Aryan, and on the dark side, weeding out the undesirables.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 20:33:21
Cause or consequence though? I'm wary of studies like that but it is interesting none the less.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#15New Post! Jan 02, 2011 @ 20:42:51
https://www.funderstanding.com/content/right-brain-vs-left-brain

There are many theories about this. When I was in college we had to take and give tests for this. Just talking from perception along with measuring the brain, it seems to have some validity. In our home my hubby is right brained, my son whole brained and I am left brained. We pretty much behave as the charts included state. It's a very fallible study, but it shouldn't be ignored.

https://www.funderstanding.com/content/right-brain-vs-left-brain
Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:
Left Brain
Logical
Sequential

Rational

Analytical

Objective

Looks at parts

Right Brain

Random

Intuitive

Holistic
Synthesizing

Subjective

Looks at wholes

I wouldn't bet my life on the theory, however it did help when I was teaching. Understanding learning differences is key to teaching. This helped me to reach more children. Those who are good in math and can draw; love the arts, are whole brained. One of them lives in my home. I'd like to scream when he draws a wonderful picture then goes on to tell me trigonometry is a piece of cake.

It will always be a debate worth thinking about.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs