Ridding Myself of Religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...12 13 14 · >>
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#61New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 00:06:57
@chaski Said

No. You said "Baptism is only a naming ceremony .. and a commitment by the parents to raise it with an understanding of God."

You said nothing about it being a "cleansing ceremony - of repentance", etc.

So, your initial assessment of baptism was NOT biblical.

Keep in mind that I did not say that baptism was not biblical. I said that your statement about baptism was not biblical.

Focusing helps.

And marriage... initially a "political" thing... not religious... but good try.

OK, let's try again.

I was presenting a brief history about baptism.

ADULT baptism in the Church NOW has two purposes
1 - Acceptance into the Church community - as a fully pledged "member"
2 - A cleansing ritual/ceremony

The more recent INFANT baptism also has two purposes
1 - Acceptance into the Church community with the promise of the congregation and family (parents etc) to raise the child in 'God's word'
2 - A naming ceremony

Some churches claim that it is essential to be baptised to be accepted into heaven, and while the Roman Catholic Church inferred that this was the case it seems that this is not actually in their rule book.

Political? How can two ordinary people living in the same village with no involvement in anything but farming or whatever they do for a living - but definitely not politics - be politically motivated?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#62New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 00:10:56
@Erimitus Said

As Jesus ascended into heaven he called down, "don't wait up". Pete asked John, "what did he say?" John said, "I think he said I will be right back".

This has caused a lot of confusion over the past couple thousand years.

In Biblical idiom (as I understand it) 30 days means a long period of time. Jesus waited 40 days before his ascension. Maybe that means it was a very long period of time. And (of course) maybe not.

he waiting to the next month to do his ascension, because he was on winning streak playing bingo in las vegas. it took him 40 days to lose. it could
happen!
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#63New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 00:11:54
some Christian sects have Jesus descend into hell after his Crucifixion and before his resurrection. While in hell he gave people get out of hell free cards if they were there before he was deified.

#64New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 00:13:31
@Erimitus Said

Of course the entire Bible is just a made up story. Ok, maybe not the entire Bible but a whole big lot of it.

You do realise that all large ships (Container ships, huge criuse ships etc) are actually based on the measurements of Noah's Ark?
And that the story was written (told) way back before these ships were built.
Also that all over the world there are different versions of stories telling of a great flood.

Maybe Noah's story is not 100% accurate... but it seems like a flood did happen... and the measurements were pretty good.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#65New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 00:22:04
obviously, large ships like " titantic " with measured with noah's ark measurement for the ship. nobody consider that titanic face something, noah never encountered.

iceberg

#66New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 01:21:27
And that

JP: ...all large ships (Container ships, huge cruise ships etc) are actually based on the measurements of Noah's Ark

E: I did not know that. May I ask your source of information?

JP: ...the story was written (told) way back before these ships were built.

E: that I did know

JP: ...all over the world there are different versions of stories telling of a great flood.

E: Yes, that is how I understand it. Apparently Gilgamesh is the earliest existent version of the story and it is safe to assume that it dates back to prehistory.

JP: Maybe Noah's story is not 100% accurate...

E: Maybe

JP: it seems like the flood did happen.

E: Seems like it

JP: it seems like the measurements were pretty good.

E: I do not follow your reasoning

Saint Louis, Missouri
#67New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 02:06:17
@Erimitus Said

some Christian sects have Jesus descend into hell after his Crucifixion and before his resurrection. While in hell he gave people get out of hell free cards if they were there before he was deified.

you said the people from hell. jesus gave people, a free pass out of hell.

that has explain where republican congress come from? they think bozo is jesus that he will save them.

#68New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 03:28:19
@Erimitus Said

First of all this is just a made up story. I do not believe it happened. I don't even believe that Jesus happened.

Secondly, as I remember correctly the apostles did not recognize Him when He showed up.

Yet the Jews themselves acknowledge that Jesus existed.

And I doubt if you would recognise straight away someone who you thought was dead and buried. lol

But yet they did recognise him, and told others. Even Thomas believed when he saw him.

#69New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 03:39:23
@twilitezone911 Said

you said the people from hell. jesus gave people, a free pass out of hell.

that has explain where republican congress come from? they think bozo is jesus that he will save them.

<<groan>>

#70New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 03:47:10
@Erimitus Said

JP: ...all large ships (Container ships, huge cruise ships etc) are actually based on the measurements of Noah's Ark

E: I did not know that. May I ask your source of information?

I happen to be watching a documentry about large ships and from memory it talked about a ship builder building a ship based on the actual Noah's measurements... and since then it is the basis upon all huge ships are built on. Using the scale of measurments.. not the actual cubits I mean. lol

And then I came across this:

In 1844, a man named Isambard K. Brunnel built his giant ship, the Great Britain. He used almost the exact ratio of the ark—30:5:3. As it turns out, these dimensions are the perfect ratio for a huge boat built for seaworthiness and not for speed. Obviously the ark was not built for speed, since it had nowhere to go! What is more, shipbuilders during World War II used approximately the same ratio to build a ship known as the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien (one of a group of ships known as the Liberty Ships, which were referred to as “the ugly ducklings”)—a barge-like boat built to carry tremendous amounts of cargo, just like the ark.

#71New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 03:59:12
E: the apostles did not recognize [Jesus] when He showed up.

JP: …the Jews acknowledge that Jesus existed.

E: Maybe they did I do not know. Do we have any evidence of that?

JP: …I doubt if you would recognize someone who you thought was dead and buried.

E: Especially if they had been crucified first.

JP: Thomas believed when he saw [Jesus]

E: As I understand it the story is that Tom did not recognize Jesus either and had to directly experience the wounds. I am an empiricist my self. I do not believe that my perceptions are a particularly accurate representation of that which has been sensed but I do acknowledge them. Unlike Tom I continue to doubt even that which I perceive.

E: Have you ever read the Gospel of Thomas?

#72New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 04:02:29
@Justpassing Said

I happen to be watching a documentry about large ships and from memory it talked about a ship builder building a ship based on the actual Noah's measurements... and since then it is the basis upon all huge ships are built on. Using the scale of measurments.. not the actual cubits I mean. lol

And then I came across this:

In 1844, a man named Isambard K. Brunnel built his giant ship, the Great Britain. He used almost the exact ratio of the ark—30:5:3. As it turns out, these dimensions are the perfect ratio for a huge boat built for seaworthiness and not for speed. Obviously the ark was not built for speed, since it had nowhere to go! What is more, shipbuilders during World War II used approximately the same ratio to build a ship known as the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien (one of a group of ships known as the Liberty Ships, which were referred to as “the ugly ducklings”)—a barge-like boat built to carry tremendous amounts of cargo, just like the ark.

E: I do not know. Maybe it is the golden ration.

E: And …and if you think I am wrong you are probably right.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#73New Post! Dec 04, 2017 @ 06:14:50
@Justpassing Said

OK, let's try again.

I was presenting a brief history about baptism.

No, your initial comment about baptism was not a "brief history about baptism" and was not based on the biblical version of baptism. I can repost your post for you if you are confused.

@Justpassing Said

Political? How can two ordinary people living in the same village with no involvement in anything but farming or whatever they do for a living - but definitely not politics - be politically motivated?

You seem to have gone off on a tangent, but I can think of many ways this could and does happen.

#74New Post! Dec 05, 2017 @ 10:16:13
@chaski Said

No, your initial comment about baptism was not a "brief history about baptism" and was not based on the biblical version of baptism. I can repost your post for you if you are confused.

Correct, my first -initial - comment wasn't, my further one was - a Reader's Digest version.

@chaski Said
You seem to have gone off on a tangent, but I can think of many ways this could and does happen.

I recall it being said that marriage was political... my response was that it is not always. Sometimes it most certainly is.

#75New Post! Dec 05, 2017 @ 10:17:57
@Erimitus Said

E: I do not know. Maybe it is the golden ration.

E: And …and if you think I am wrong you are probably right.

So is it possible that Noah fluked the 'Golden ratio'... or as the Bible suggests... God told him?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...12 13 14 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs