TFS+ politics

Require an IQ test to vote

AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Sep 14, 2009 @ 06:34:58
That would be completely undemocratic and unpractical. First off it would cost s*** loads of money to put everyone on the electoral register through a full IQ test, and a lot of time. With voter turn out pretty dire anyway putting them through a 2-4 hour test before being allowed to vote will surely just put people off.

Then there are arguments about what kind of IQ test, and what part of ones IQ. Verbal and non-verbal IQ, or just one of the two. Whilst most people's are roughly the same I know mine show a huge difference, meaning I potentially wouldn't be allowed to vote (I study Politics at university and at least like to think I know quite a bit about it).

What about if someone has a high IQ then they suffer from a mental illness or head trauma or something of the sort which could potentially decrease their IQ?

It's completely unpractical, and goes directly against Democracy.
bobbimay On February 11, 2024

Tucson, Arizona
#32New Post! Sep 14, 2009 @ 14:26:58
Hmmmm...
maybe you need to read your history a bit better...
the US already had an "test" before you could vote..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test

the requirement was taken out when blacks,women and native Americans received the right to vote... and it was found out...or realized...that at that time most of the new voters could not read.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#33New Post! Sep 14, 2009 @ 14:43:59
@bobbimay Said

Hmmmm...
maybe you need to read your history a bit better...
the US already had an "test" before you could vote..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test

the requirement was taken out when blacks,women and native Americans received the right to vote... and it was found out...or realized...that at that time most of the new voters could not read.

As I recall, that test was in place because it was known they couldn't read, and was a thinly veiled excuse for racism.
bobbimay On February 11, 2024

Tucson, Arizona
#34New Post! Sep 14, 2009 @ 15:09:46
@Lili Said

As I recall, that test was in place because it was known they couldn't read, and was a thinly veiled excuse for racism.

When the constitution was set up only white male property owners were allowed to vote but had to pay an voters tax too do it.

here is the timeline for voting right in the US

https://www.infoplease.com/timelines/voting.html
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Sep 14, 2009 @ 16:42:21
@sheepy Said

It's a great idea. We have the dumb thing where readers of crap newspapers can be influenced by the dumb editors, and they get the vote to decide on government.

Stop daily mirror voters from voting for a start - t***s always end up voting labour

Better than the Daily Fail, sorry, Mail ramming their Tory nonsense down the throats of its' readers.

It is ridiculous how much power some of the UK papers have over their readers, but then again people read what they want to read so it's a vicious circle.
Locked<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)