Forums: Relationships:
Homosexuality

Republican Party: generational change is driving a rethink on gay rights

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 22:21:05
The queering of the Republican Party: generational change is driving a rethink on gay rights

Quote:
There are signs that the GOP is going soft on gay rights. A couple of weeks ago, a city in Illinois elected its first ever gay alderman – a Republican called Cory Jobe. Fred Karger, a gay political consultant, has declared an admirably ambitious campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. In the past year, the LGBT Log Cabin Republicans group has been entertained by former UN Ambassador John Bolton and former Vice President d*** Cheney. Donald Rumsfeld has endorsed repeal of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell rule that banned open homosexuals from serving in the military. Even Ann Coulter – the redneck’s Dorothy Parker – has told conservatives that it’s time to reach out to gay taxpayers.

It’s hard to believe from the heat of the rhetoric, but traditionalists really are losing the battle over gay rights. Their leadership is still reeling from the 2006-2008 scandal cycle that unearthed a lot of transgressive sex in the conservative camp. The discovery of Senator Larry Craig (maybe) trying to pick up a male police officer in an airport restroom, or the revelation that Pastor Ted Haggard (definitely) purchased crystal meth from a gay prostitute, humiliated the Right-wing establishment. It suggested a seedy backroom world where moral hypocrites said one thing and did another

In contrast, pro-gay activists have done an excellent job of portraying themselves as upright, ordinary folk just trying to claim the rights that everybody else already has. They’ve been doing this since the mid-1990s, when the AIDS crisis forced a rethink in strategy. They threw out the old Harvey Milk-type militancy and tried to appear bourgeois and respectable

Starting with the title of this article in the Telegraph.co.uk and sprinkled all though the article there is a very rude and bigoted tone . Or am I just not understanding what I'm reading ?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 22:28:46
I have to say I don't like the tone in that article at all. That surprises me really as The Telegraph isn't known to be quite as bad as other tabloid papers. Gives Royal Holloway a bit of a bad rep as well.

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 22:43:23
@sister_of_mercy Said

I have to say I don't like the tone in that article at all. That surprises me really as The Telegraph isn't known to be quite as bad as other tabloid papers. Gives Royal Holloway a bit of a bad rep as well.

I came across the link to the article on a message board site while reading a thread on Fred Karger .
I was very surprised to find it was The Telegraph that i was reading this in.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#4New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 22:54:16
It is accurate. The vast majority of the folks who are against gay rights are old and dying. Once their generation dies out we will wonder why we were ever so bigoted. The same thing happened in the US with African Americans. We had to wait for the generation of the kids of the last slave owners to die out before we could pass any meaningful Civil Rights laws.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 23:17:28
@drman321 Said

It is accurate. The vast majority of the folks who are against gay rights are old and dying. Once their generation dies out we will wonder why we were ever so bigoted. The same thing happened in the US with African Americans. We had to wait for the generation of the kids of the last slave owners to die out before we could pass any meaningful Civil Rights laws.

Do you find anything wrong with the tone of the article ?
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#6New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 23:20:05
@white_swan53 Said

Do you find anything wrong with the tone of the article ?

Not particularly. Then again you have to realize that tone is lost over the web.

I think they take it for granted that any sane and objective person is in favor of gay rights, but then I don't disagree with that. I don't see how you really could with a straight face.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#7New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 02:28:18
I see it. Pro-gay activists have done an excellent job of portraying themselves as upright... (because hey, we all know they aren't REALLY upright, right?)

It suggested a seedy backroom world where moral hypocrites said one thing and did another... (this was really just smoke and mirrors?)

The implication appears to be that gays are winning rights through shady means.

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 06:55:03
@alk1975 Said

I see it. Pro-gay activists have done an excellent job of portraying themselves as upright... (because hey, we all know they aren't REALLY upright, right?)

It suggested a seedy backroom world where moral hypocrites said one thing and did another... (this was really just smoke and mirrors?)

The implication appears to be that gays are winning rights through shady means.

Starting with the title , the whole article is full bigoted and rude implications . Like this.
Quote:
The contemporary movement is so sober it’s almost sexless. Take Los Angeles-based pro-gay marriage group Love Honor Cherish. Its very name smacks of traditional values of vows and vicars.

It implies that the pro gay movement has hidden it's self behind a facade as to appear less shady or backroom seedy. IMO
Electric_Banana On April 20, 2024

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 08:27:26
A lot of your politicians and decision makers might be gay themselves and never let on.

No one will know for certain. Women never make the first move.

And the person that wrote this article sounds biased against gays.

Gays are really no one's business. It's hard enough for people to get laid without everyone making laws and regulations against whom they lay.

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 10:07:32
@Electric_Banana Said

A lot of your politicians and decision makers might be gay themselves and never let on.

No one will know for certain. Women never make the first move.

And the person that wrote this article sounds biased against gays.

Gays are really no one's business. It's hard enough for people to get laid without everyone making laws and regulations against whom they lay.

I don't disagree with the article as far as the info that America's politicians and the general public are thinking / feeling different today then they were before.
What I find strange is that it's an European news source that
seems to be bashing ( for lack of a better word) the pro gay movement in America.
Usually I actually prefer it over most of the American news media sources.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 10:21:33
The queering of the Republican Party

None of this means we can expect the next Republican presidential candidate to go on Fox News and sing highlights from Gypsy.

Republican grandees must continue to wait until retirement before they can come out as cosmopolitans

In contrast, pro-gay activists have done an excellent job of portraying themselves as upright, ordinary folk

They threw out the old Harvey Milk-type militancy and tried to appear bourgeois and respectable .

The contemporary movement is so sober it’s almost sexless. Take Los Angeles-based pro-gay marriage group Love Honor Cherish. Its very name smacks of traditional values, of vows and vicars

They even hold their weekly meetings in a church

Here are some of the comments / statements in the article that 'sets the tone' that I find sounds rude and bigoted.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs