Software

Replacement XP disk

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 13:44:56
Hey guys, I have a purchased copy of Windows XP Pro. The CD appears to be screwed (tried to install on two different hard drives, from two different CDROMs, same sticking point each time). Anyone know if I can get a replacement CD anywhere?

I have the license, so I'd rather not pay the exorbitant fee to buy XP again. I just need the media.

Anyone encounter this problem before?
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 13:53:30
here an idea make a folder call it windows xp
copy all the files put it on your harddrive in the folder install from there
may work did for me
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 13:54:33
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Basically, you call (800) 360-7561 and they will send you a new one. You have to provide proof of purchase and they may charge you something significant like $30 or so.

What exact version of Windows XP is it?

Deleted

#4New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 13:56:41
@jonnythan Said
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Basically, you call (800) 360-7561 and they will send you a new one. You have to provide proof of purchase and they may charge you something significant like $30 or so.

What exact version of Windows XP is it?

Straight XP Pro, no service packs. I was an early adopter for once.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 13:58:20
Geez, man. I might have been able to help you if it was SP2 or even SP1.

Deleted

#6New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 14:02:27
I'm seriously considering just junking the machine. It was s***-hot in it's time, consisting of pretty much the top end of everything, but that was 5 years ago now - it's now looking significantly dated. A $300 job from Wally's World would probably out perform it now.

I find myself wondering if it's worth throwing more money at it. Perhaps I should strip it, sell it for parts, and get a no monitor machine with the proceeds.

Deleted

#7New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 15:16:16
ARGHHGHGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Because I bought the software OEM, with a new harddrive, it's not covered by Microsoft and they won't send me, or even sell me, replacement media.

I feel totally stiffed. As one of the few home system builders that actually buys software instead of using pirated versions, I had really hoped that I would be in more luck that this.
semi_precious_stone On June 23, 2019

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 15:24:25
Edit - incomplete post!

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 15:25:19
@stumblinthrulife Said
ARGHHGHGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Because I bought the software OEM, with a new harddrive, it's not covered by Microsoft and they won't send me, or even sell me, replacement media.

I feel totally stiffed. As one of the few home system builders that actually buys software instead of using pirated versions, I had really hoped that I would be in more luck that this.

That sucks man.

I am glad I am not the only one who actually buys software these days! You would think they would appreciate it.
Did you buy the hard drive with XP pre installed and it has screwed up hence you need to re install or.....?

Deleted

#10New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 15:35:19
@semi_precious_stone Said
That sucks man.

I am glad I am not the only one who actually buys software these days! You would think they would appreciate it.
Did you buy the hard drive with XP pre installed and it has screwed up hence you need to re install or.....?

No, I bought the entire system as components, and got an OEM discount on buying XP because I was buying a new hard drive. They still sent disk and license and I still installed myself. But now of course my contract is with the reseller, not Microsoft, and of course my warranty is through them too. And expired.

It's all above board, perfectly legal, and perfectly standard practice.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 16:09:22
I had to reinstall XP home on a laptop of a friend without disks, i used someone elses bought version of XP to reinstall it and had to phone an automated activation service and answer lots of questions to get the activation code. They ask for the hardware hash that the insatlation process spits out and then all the questions are along the lines of 'have you upgraded any hardware since the last instalation?' (you obviously have to say yes) and then they outright ask you if you are trying to activate a pirated copy

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 05, 2007 @ 16:12:51
@stumblinthrulife Said
No, I bought the entire system as components, and got an OEM discount on buying XP because I was buying a new hard drive. They still sent disk and license and I still installed myself. But now of course my contract is with the reseller, not Microsoft, and of course my warranty is through them too. And expired.

It's all above board, perfectly legal, and perfectly standard practice.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

Indeed!

Was just wondering as my brother had a similar problem, but his was pre installed.

Deleted

#13New Post! Nov 06, 2007 @ 02:07:18
Well, I finally got the intall on one of my old hard drives fixed. And guess what? The f***er still won't boot. It wasn't the Windows CD afterall.

So, this leads me to the conclusion that it's some sort of hardware incompatibility. Since the only thing that's changed since the machine last worked properly is the motherboard, it's safe to assume that it's a mainboard problem, most likely with the BIOS.

I'm done with this frakking machine. It's being stripped and sold as parts, and I'm buying a new one.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs