Religion

Religious freedom

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#1New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 00:36:42
If there is to be a separation of Church and State but the tenets of a religion are inconsistent with the laws of the state; which do we obey, the laws of the state or the doctrine of the church?

I suppose it depends on which is more powerful at the time.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 01:48:39
I live in a state, not a church ..'nuff said!

I'm Mrmhead, not afraid of burning in hell.

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 01:52:00
the laws of the state and the rules of the church are different.

since i am jewish, i would follow the laws of the state.

i was not a jewish , i am not sure. i would laws of than the church.

the state could be in prison, the church what i could play bingo at the church.

i am sorry about that comment. these days, what can the church, do you?

these days, i am not sure a christian , or whatever really can excommunicate from their church.

so i wouldn't go to church, i change my name , i go to another church.

i have funny feeling that i heard over the years. that church and congregational aren't see on the same pages with each others.

almost if the church and people have lost touch with each others.

i know religious freedom is kind of gray areas with laws of state.

laws of state are winning over these freedom.

i know of few laws of the church can apply with foreign matters. abortion and woman rights.

in general, that religious freedom ( i might right, probably in some freedom rights.) are maybe not important they use to be theses days.

because the people are not practice enough to have them. to have the right to have them. why are they not show the state their religious rights?

the laws of the states are practice to service and protect all us, whether we worship the church or not.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 14:59:08
@Erimitus Said

If there is to be a separation of Church and State but the tenets of a religion are inconsistent with the laws of the state; which do we obey, the laws of the state or the doctrine of the church?

If you are truly bound to your religion, then the doctrine of the church of course. But most people, out of fear of punishment, will show that they can change. People fit religion to their wants and needs more than the reverse, always been that way.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 16:08:10
@Leon Said

If you are truly bound to your religion, then the doctrine of the church of course. But most people, out of fear of punishment, will show that they can change. People fit religion to their wants and needs more than the reverse, always been that way.

Thanks. Excellent point.

I would like to think on this and will respond if I come up with anything worth mentioning.

chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 17:39:17
@Erimitus Said

Depends on the laws in question as well as the religion in question (or at least your understanding or the religion in question....combined with the degree of sacrifice/suffering you are willing to suffer.

Example:

> Let's say you are religion "A" and it instructs you to kill certain people for their actions, inactions and/or their religious views.
> You live in the country of "Z", which's laws have outlawed killing people.

>> You must consider the consequences...kind of a cost-benefit analysis.

1. What is the consequence of violating the country of "Z" laws? Monetary fine, prison, death (as in earthly death)...?

vs

2. If you do not obey your religion's rules, what are the consequences? Will you burn in hell for all eternity....or does your religion offer you a way out of the punishment...a loop hole...can you violate your religion's rules, but still gain forgiveness and thus avoid the punishment?

Earthly prison vs Eternal life....?

History seems to suggest that a large portion of humans are a little more concerned with their daily comfort in terms of obeying the laws of the State...and less certain about their religion's rules and application of punishment.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#7New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:18:21
@Erimitus Said

If you really believe then you should follow the law laid out to you by your religion. It's retarded, like literally insane to do otherwise. I mean you know that you need to follow those laws to get into heaven. What's 70ish years on earth compared to eternity in heaven. It's mind boggling that a true believer would follow a states law over their Faith's law.
I don't know what's a bigger joke religion or people... No wait I do, people.

Fukitall, Arizona
#8New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:19:27
Oops
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:24:38
@adrinachrome Said

If you really believe then you should follow the law laid out to you by your religion. It's retarded, like literally insane to do otherwise. I mean you know that you need to follow those laws to get into heaven. What's 70ish years on earth compared to eternity in heaven. It's mind boggling that a true believer would follow a states law over their Faith's law.
I don't know what's a bigger joke religion or people... No wait I do, people.

Or you could just go in a little room somewhere and say "I'm Sorry"
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#10New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:43:32
@adrinachrome Said

And thus we have extremists and terrorists in the world.

Fukitall, Arizona
#11New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:52:10
@chaski Said

What they do is logical though chaski. If believed 100% that by tracking you down and putting sugar in your gas tank was the only way for me to have paradise eternal your car would f***ed before tomorrow morning.

It's f***ed up yes. But it's belief. Just like you shouldn't get mad at mormans or Jehovah's witnesses when they come to your house, because they really are trying to save you.
Ridiculous but commendable.

Fukitall, Arizona
#12New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:54:28
@chaski Said

What if god, and it's irrefutable that this is the god told you you had to kill your neighbor? Would you do it?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#13New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 18:59:55
@adrinachrome Said

What they do is logical though chaski. If believed 100% that by tracking you down and putting sugar in your gas tank was the only way for me to have paradise eternal your car would f***ed before tomorrow morning.

It's f***ed up yes. But it's belief. Just like you shouldn't get mad at mormans or Jehovah's witnesses when they come to your house, because they really are trying to save you.

I agree with you.

@adrinachrome Said

What if god, and it's irrefutable that this is the god told you you had to kill your neighbor? Would you do it?

While I understand the premise of your question is an irrefutable god, I would most likely doubt it and assume the said god was either evil, the devil, and/or some disconnect in my head.

Thus I would not follow his/her orders.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#14New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 20:29:35
@adrinachrome Said
Just like you shouldn't get mad at mormans or Jehovah's witnesses when they come to your house, because they really are trying to save you.

I find that answering the door naked puts an immediate stop to their visits. I don't know how they know, but they never come back.

Fukitall, Arizona
#15New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 20:31:41
@boxer Said

I find that answering the door naked puts an immediate stop to their visits. I don't know how they know, but they never come back.

I always say I'm Jewish.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs