Religion & Philosophy

Religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Aug 15, 2015 @ 03:51:29
Ultimately others can only encourage what they feel is right. They will never successfully get others to accept their ideals of 'wrong.'

"Sins" are already a default understanding in most people.
It's the main reason that offense is taken and religion loses credibility when lifestyles come under accusation.

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Aug 15, 2015 @ 03:54:11
Oy! Main-page-view title doesn't update an edit?

Damn [ I ] nventory key!

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Aug 15, 2015 @ 03:54:52
There it went...like milk spoiling.

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Aug 17, 2015 @ 09:57:15
@JoyofSatan_dot_org Said

My username is a website for a religion called Spiritual Satanism. Maybe you have heard of it..

No.

It sounds like a trap.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#6New Post! Aug 17, 2015 @ 17:17:10
@Electric_Banana Said

Ultimately others can only encourage what they feel is right. They will never successfully get others to accept their ideals of 'wrong.'

It's the main reason that offense is taken and religion loses credibility when lifestyles come under accusation.

I see sin as a social construct.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#7New Post! Aug 17, 2015 @ 22:56:02
@Erimitus Said

Thats one rabbit hole i avoid. Thats also why i dont like comparisons to nature.

For me to put deep thought into that idea, well it would change my neurology.

Say for instance:

I have an argument or someone winds me up. The voice at the back of my head tells me whatever emotions i feel. To act on certain ones is wrong.

But lets entertain the idea that "sin" is a construct.

Someone annoys me.

I get angry.

I ignore the voice in the back of my head after all its just social conditioning. If we accept there is no greater creator and we are just a freak accident of nature then what ever i do does not matter.

I maninfest my anger into violence as there is no reason not to other than social programming.

It does not matter.

Person is dead. So what, we are just a freak accident of nature.

Its a rabbit hole to avoid.

But then if i go to the beach or into the countryside, i look around and i cant accept that we are a freak accident of nature.

But then again if i get an infinate amount of monkeys with an infinate number of type writers, then sooner or later they will produce the complete worksof shakespeare. So it is possible that we are a freak accident. In which case all our views really are a load of crap fed to us by society.

Again i find that a dangerous path.

Sure we have the law. But is that just a construct made to keep the sheep in line? What is bad and what is good?

Banned

#8New Post! Aug 17, 2015 @ 23:08:09
@Electric_Banana Said

My personal issue with religion is that it implies that anything i do is nothing to do with me but the will of a god.

That basically means i have to accept that i am totally worthless and capable of nothing myself. Its a god pulling the strings.

It may be true it may not. Right now for me its irrelavent. When i die i may have to face consequences of my choices but so be it. I choose the path that leads to my fate.

Anyway back to religion. Religion is the worship of a deity. Now due to the fact that i refuse to accept the fact that we are a freak accident of nature. I have no choice but to believe there is a creator. Based on string theory this is even more possible (may even explain heaven and hell and astral projection).

Even the big bang theory still makes me believe it was by Intelligent design. And same for evolution (i cant disagree with survival of the fittest).

But i think we were created to survive. Not to worship a diety. So i agree more with spirituality that power comes from within. As opposed to religion whuich implies that we do nothing ourselves and achievements are just a reward for worship. In that context we havnt try achieved anything.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 02:39:15
one of the strong reasons to believe in god or at least, question there is a god. to the ability of curiosity, without this ability, we all be robots, instead human. robots wouldn't even notice the sun comes up into a sunrise, or even, when the sun goes down in the evening. we call ' sundown '. robots couldn't appreciate a sunrise or a sundown. robots think man create them, robots wouldn't wonder who create man. curiosity make man different than any kind of life in the universe. man must know why he was create and his purpose and his destiny. animals can't understand this logical, why would they? why does man need curiosity? why does man never content with anything, when man know or learn the answer? do we need curiosity, to force ourselves, to question are ourselves?

Banned

#10New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 15:59:45
@twilitezone911 Said

one of the strong reasons to believe in god or at least, question there is a god. to the ability of curiosity, without this ability, we all be robots, instead human. robots wouldn't even notice the sun comes up into a sunrise, or even, when the sun goes down in the evening. we call ' sundown '. robots couldn't appreciate a sunrise or a sundown. robots think man create them, robots wouldn't wonder who create man. curiosity make man different than any kind of life in the universe. man must know why he was create and his purpose and his destiny. animals can't understand this logical, why would they? why does man need curiosity? why does man never content with anything, when man know or learn the answer? do we need curiosity, to force ourselves, to question are ourselves?

If we have no purpose, then whats the point? Why bother with the life bit. Surely it would be best to be never born so never die than to lead a pointless life?

That said most people create a purpose, or just go along with what ever society tells them.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#11New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 16:29:45
@Erimitus Said

Sin? You mean religious sin? Perhaps it is a social construct, no? It depends on which holy book you read!

But goodness. Virtue. These, I do not believe are so simple to define as social constructs. Goodness has stood the test of time, has it not?

Banned

#12New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 16:44:35
@galasTAray Said

Sin? You mean religious sin? Perhaps it is a social construct, no? It depends on which holy book you read!

But goodness. Virtue. These, I do not believe are so simple to define as social constructs. Goodness has stood the test of time, has it not?

Good is just the opposite of bad. You cant have one without the other. Otherwise we would just be...
chaski On about 16 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#13New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 19:07:16
@Hypnotica Said

Good is just the opposite of bad. You cant have one without the other. Otherwise we would just be...

Sure, but sin strongly implies a violation of a supernatural being's rules.

The idea of sin twists the ideas of good and bad.

For example: In the bible it was not only acceptable to stone a woman who lost her virginity prior to marriage, but it was actually a law; a directive from god. If you violated that directive, you would be committing a sin.

In the modern, or "western" world, we view the idea of stoning a woman to death for any reason as being bad. Even in the "western" countries were there is the death penalty, the idea of stoning someone to death is viewed as a bad thing.

Yes...good is the opposite of bad, but sin does not necessarily equal either good nor bad.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#14New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 19:29:49
@galasTAray Said

I would say both religious sin and secular sin are both social constructs.

Religious sin, as I understand it, is behavior inconstant with the will of God.
Assuming, for the sake of discussion, that there is a God and this God has a will; we then have to ask what is the will of God and can it be know?

Secular sin, as I understand it, has many definitions but in general it could be described as is missing the mark. This, I suppose, entails intention. (If there is a goal and the goal is not reached the the mark is missed and it is a sin). Does that sound correct?

It seems to me that holy books and their interpretations are social constructs.

The way that I see it there is noting that is inherently good or bad; nothing that is inherently virtuous. Virtue and goodness, like all concepts, are social constructs.

Banned

#15New Post! Aug 18, 2015 @ 19:39:29
@chaski Said
The way that I see it there is noting that is inherently good or bad; nothing that is inherently virtuous. Virtue and goodness, like all concepts, are social constructs.

True. It depends how you frame it.

The person stole some money.

The person stole some money to feed his starving family.

The person stole some money to feed his starving family because they had gambled away their own money.

Same fact, 3 different views.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs