Religion & Philosophy

Religion Vs Science student study, please help

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
aaront On July 02, 2011

Flushing, New York
#31New Post! Jul 02, 2011 @ 16:56:48
I come from China , Tibet area . a high religion area.... you can not image how different that world is . maybe this can help you a lot . you google "itsbv" site. it is a religion jewlery site . no matter what you want to talk about , I think the religion symbols are very important . and itsbv jewlery site very clear to show you what is the symbol of different religions. you can take a look
laosam On August 11, 2011

ibadan, Nigeria
#32New Post! Jul 08, 2011 @ 14:44:12
Well for me religion talk about more physical and illutionist thought while science deal only about physical things u feel and touch. For example, religion state the world will end one day, since the day i was born the world never end. Even with the sciencific fact that the earth is rusting due to the chemical pollution polluting to the air.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#33New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 02:04:02
The best way to gain perspective on your subject is by observation of human behavior and listening to what people have to say. Surveys are best for advertisers and merchants. But religion and science is definitely linked because they both are state run entities that partially mask the truth about life. So neither is a reliable source for anyone seeking truth. This is where your own eyes can take you beyond the boundaries of both mediums.
kowalskil On December 15, 2015
Troll

Fort Lee,
#34New Post! Aug 02, 2011 @ 04:21:32
@MikeW Said
... My research is in measuring similarities and differences between scientific and religious thought.I am also gathering data with people who are both scientific and religious in outlook. ...

Religion = theism + many other things.

You probably want to know about differences between science and theology. Right? Each of us lives in two worlds: spiritual and material. Methods of validation of claims in the material world are not the same as in the spiritual world.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#35New Post! Aug 02, 2011 @ 04:29:07
@kowalskil Said

Religion = theism + many other things.

You probably want to know about differences between science and theology. Right? Each of us lives in two worlds: spiritual and material. Methods of validation of claims in the material world are not the same as in the spiritual world.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

@Wikipedia Said
Kowalski was born in Poland. Today Kowalski tries to promote himself by writing Wiki articles about himself with heaps of self-flattery and then spams the link in professional mailing lists as well as online forums. This is his punishment.

Interesting.
N7Vindicator On December 01, 2011

In a box, under a bridge., Cal
#36New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 19:16:43
Science is an empirical study of the physical universe. It's subjective; you only see one side of the cube, so to speak. Religion, at least to me, would be divine revelation of objective truths from a greater, perhaps omniscient being, most of which deal with morality, rather than the physical laws of the universe, unless you are arguing the purpose of such things. So I don't see where science and religion clash, so much as I do see how you would seek to understand how they cooperate with eachother from time to time.
Electric_Banana On about 16 hours ago

, New Zealand
#37New Post! Nov 29, 2011 @ 23:41:56
Science is bull pucky - All I got do is desire it and I wind up under a mound of big round and voluptuous T & A all the while million dollar bills rain down me and the girls like confetti.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#38New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 00:50:22
@Electric_Banana Said

Science is bull pucky - All I got do is desire it and I wind up under a mound of big round and voluptuous T & A all the while million dollar bills rain down me and the girls like confetti.

Me some too!

#39New Post! Feb 19, 2012 @ 21:34:08
science addresses the natural

religion addresses tha supernatural.

(Religion vs. Science)

(apples vs. oranges)
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#40New Post! Feb 19, 2012 @ 21:56:16
@Erimitus Said

science addresses the natural

religion addresses tha supernatural.

(Religion vs. Science)

(apples vs. oranges)

What is the meaning of this? Do you understand the severity of what you just did?
AzUnDeR On January 04, 2018

Deleted

Pacifica, California
#41New Post! Feb 19, 2012 @ 22:02:23
science and religion r nothing compared to a power i know

#42New Post! Feb 19, 2012 @ 22:46:36
@galasTAray Said

What is the meaning of this? Do you understand the severity of what you just did?

Well ...no I don't.
salamsourceofpeace On December 08, 2016

, British Indian Ocean Territo
#43New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 16:02:18
The True and Preserved Religion Provides True Philosophy and Invites to Ponder upon Natural Phenomenon to Draw Benefits for Humanity.
=============================================================================================
Peace be on you.
There should be no contradiction between words and works of same God. That is, there should be no inconsistency between revelation from God and science because of the same source. If there seems to be any disharmony, then it is because either something is not properly understood or a religion has been altered by human or a certain scientific research is not fully blossomed.

Through the ages, religion has been the source of moral and spiritual values. However, since the start of modern era of research, it has been thought that there is certain amount of conflict between science and religion. According to the Holy Quran ( all times preserved by God)*, there is none.

Harmony between Revelation and Knowledge is the root of Holy Quran. Among the very first revealed verses of it: “ Convey! And thy Lord is Most Generous. Who taught (human) by pen. Taught human what he knew not. (96: 4 to 6)

Application of reason and intellect and pondering on natural phenomenon is commanded in many verses, e.g.: “ In the creation of the heavens and the earth and in the alternation of the night and the day there are indeed Signs for people of understanding.”---- “Those who remember Allah while standing, sitting and (lying) on their sides, and ponder over the creation of the heavens and the earth (praying) Our Lord, Thou hast not created this in vain; (nay) Holy art Thou; save us, then, from the punishment of the Fire.” (3: 191-192)
The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) has said: The pursuit of knowledge is an obligation laid upon every Muslim man and woman. (ref: Ibne Majah) and also said: A word of wisdom is the lost property of a Muslim he should seize it wherever he finds it. (ref: Tirmizi)

All universe and all its phenomenon are made to serve human. Thus research into laws and forces of nature is commanded by Allah, for benefit of humanity. Thus there is no conflict between science and religion, as far as uniquely preserved Holy Book, The Holy Quran is concerned: “And He has subjected to you whatever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth: all (this is) from Him. In that surely are Signs for a people who reflect. (45:14)

Metaphorically saying, as earth requires rain and eyes requires sunshine, human brains and thoughts require revelation so that mental capacities function at right track. Revelation purifies thoughts. Revelation is sent to the pure and virtuous whom God please to. Revelation descends on hearts of Prophets for general benefit. Their life is always an open book. Their worldly life is pure and they speak truth about God too. Revelation continue to enlighten the paths of human thinking and enshrines souls, purifies deeds, sets purpose of creation and evolution of the perfectly designed directed and interconnected universe and brings human closer to God.

Intellect and wisdom has three partners. For worldly matters, partner of wisdom is observation and experiment. For matters related to eras and times, the partner of wisdom is history. For matters of ways of true knowledge, guidance and spirituality, the partner of wisdom is revelation --- of course, the preserved one. By observing the universe, one may conclude there may be a Maker. But revelation brings that surety.

This is true that there are some people in religion who are against knowledge and sciences. Extremism with dire consequences is woven around such characters. The promised reviver of faith Mahdi Messiah, (on whom be peace @ w.alislam.org) remarks:
“I consider those clergy erroneous who are against modern sciences. In fact they do so to hide their own fault and weakness. They have it embedded in their heads that researching modern sciences turns one against Islam and lead astray. They have declared that intellect and science is completely contrary to Islam. As they do not have the capacity to critique flaws of philosophy, in order to hide this failing of theirs, they concoct that it is warrantable to study modern sciences. Their soul trembles at the name of philosophy and prostrates before new researches……….However they have not been given that true philosophy which is generated from Divine revelation with which the Holy Quran is replete. That is only given to those and those alone who devote themselves to Allah the Exalted with extreme humility and morality. Whose hearts and minds are rid of the stench of arrogant thoughts, who confess their weaknesses while acknowledging sincere devotion to God……….Thus it is required that today modern science is acquired for the purpose of service of faith and to communicate the Word of God, and is acquired with great endeavour. However, it has also been in my experience and I mention this as a caution that those people who get involved in these sciences single-minded and were so obsessed and engrossed that they did not keep the company of spiritual people. They did not posses any Divine light of their own accord. Such people usually stumbled and became distant from Islam. Rather than making the sciences secondary to Islam, they tried in vain to make Islam secondary to the sciences and in their assumption became providers of religious and national services. However, remember that only that person can serve religion who has heavenly light inside him.”

Blessed is He in Whose hands is the kingdom, and He has power over all things.
Who has created death and life that He might try you – which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.
Who has created seven heavens in harmony. No incongruity canst thou see in the creation of the Gracious (Allah). Then look again: Seest thou any flaw?
Aye, look again, and yet again, thy sight will (only) return unto thee confused and fatigued.
(chapter 67: verses 2 to 5)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* “Verily We Ourself have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely We will be its Guardian.” (Holy Quran 15:10) and “ That this is indeed a noble Quran. In a well preserved Book. Which none shall touch except those who are purified. (It) is a revelation from the Lord of the worlds.” (56: 78 to 81

More:
1-Please search the words " Science philosophy religion revelation rationality knowledge truth" in w.alislam.org
2- https://www.alislam.org/library/science.html

#44New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 18:43:15
@salamsourceofpeace Said

The True and Preserved Religion Provides True Philosophy and Invites to Ponder upon Natural Phenomenon to Draw Benefits for Humanity.
=============================================================================================
Peace be on you.
There should be no contradiction between words and works of same God. That is, there should be no inconsistency between revelation from God and science because of the same source. If there seems to be any disharmony, then it is because either something is not properly understood or a religion has been altered by human or a certain scientific research is not fully blossomed.

Through the ages, religion has been the source of moral and spiritual values. However, since the start of modern era of research, it has been thought that there is certain amount of conflict between science and religion. According to the Holy Quran ( all times preserved by God)*, there is none.

Harmony between Revelation and Knowledge is the root of Holy Quran. Among the very first revealed verses of it: “ Convey! And thy Lord is Most Generous. Who taught (human) by pen. Taught human what he knew not. (96: 4 to 6)

Application of reason and intellect and pondering on natural phenomenon is commanded in many verses, e.g.: “ In the creation of the heavens and the earth and in the alternation of the night and the day there are indeed Signs for people of understanding.”---- “Those who remember Allah while standing, sitting and (lying) on their sides, and ponder over the creation of the heavens and the earth (praying) Our Lord, Thou hast not created this in vain; (nay) Holy art Thou; save us, then, from the punishment of the Fire.” (3: 191-192)
The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) has said: The pursuit of knowledge is an obligation laid upon every Muslim man and woman. (ref: Ibne Majah) and also said: A word of wisdom is the lost property of a Muslim he should seize it wherever he finds it. (ref: Tirmizi)

All universe and all its phenomenon are made to serve human. Thus research into laws and forces of nature is commanded by Allah, for benefit of humanity. Thus there is no conflict between science and religion, as far as uniquely preserved Holy Book, The Holy Quran is concerned: “And He has subjected to you whatever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth: all (this is) from Him. In that surely are Signs for a people who reflect. (45:14)

Metaphorically saying, as earth requires rain and eyes requires sunshine, human brains and thoughts require revelation so that mental capacities function at right track. Revelation purifies thoughts. Revelation is sent to the pure and virtuous whom God please to. Revelation descends on hearts of Prophets for general benefit. Their life is always an open book. Their worldly life is pure and they speak truth about God too. Revelation continue to enlighten the paths of human thinking and enshrines souls, purifies deeds, sets purpose of creation and evolution of the perfectly designed directed and interconnected universe and brings human closer to God.

Intellect and wisdom has three partners. For worldly matters, partner of wisdom is observation and experiment. For matters related to eras and times, the partner of wisdom is history. For matters of ways of true knowledge, guidance and spirituality, the partner of wisdom is revelation --- of course, the preserved one. By observing the universe, one may conclude there may be a Maker. But revelation brings that surety.

This is true that there are some people in religion who are against knowledge and sciences. Extremism with dire consequences is woven around such characters. The promised reviver of faith Mahdi Messiah, (on whom be peace @ w.alislam.org) remarks:
“I consider those clergy erroneous who are against modern sciences. In fact they do so to hide their own fault and weakness. They have it embedded in their heads that researching modern sciences turns one against Islam and lead astray. They have declared that intellect and science is completely contrary to Islam. As they do not have the capacity to critique flaws of philosophy, in order to hide this failing of theirs, they concoct that it is warrantable to study modern sciences. Their soul trembles at the name of philosophy and prostrates before new researches……….However they have not been given that true philosophy which is generated from Divine revelation with which the Holy Quran is replete. That is only given to those and those alone who devote themselves to Allah the Exalted with extreme humility and morality. Whose hearts and minds are rid of the stench of arrogant thoughts, who confess their weaknesses while acknowledging sincere devotion to God……….Thus it is required that today modern science is acquired for the purpose of service of faith and to communicate the Word of God, and is acquired with great endeavour. However, it has also been in my experience and I mention this as a caution that those people who get involved in these sciences single-minded and were so obsessed and engrossed that they did not keep the company of spiritual people. They did not posses any Divine light of their own accord. Such people usually stumbled and became distant from Islam. Rather than making the sciences secondary to Islam, they tried in vain to make Islam secondary to the sciences and in their assumption became providers of religious and national services. However, remember that only that person can serve religion who has heavenly light inside him.”

Blessed is He in Whose hands is the kingdom, and He has power over all things.
Who has created death and life that He might try you – which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.
Who has created seven heavens in harmony. No incongruity canst thou see in the creation of the Gracious (Allah). Then look again: Seest thou any flaw?
Aye, look again, and yet again, thy sight will (only) return unto thee confused and fatigued.
(chapter 67: verses 2 to 5)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* “Verily We Ourself have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely We will be its Guardian.” (Holy Quran 15:10) and “ That this is indeed a noble Quran. In a well preserved Book. Which none shall touch except those who are purified. (It) is a revelation from the Lord of the worlds.” (56: 78 to 81

More:
1-Please search the words " Science philosophy religion revelation rationality knowledge truth" in w.alislam.org
2- https://www.alislam.org/library/science.html

<pheew> long post

There should be no inconsistency between revelation from God and science because of the same source. If there seems to be any disharmony, then it is because either something is not properly understood or a religion has been altered by human or a certain scientific research is not fully blossomed.

E: OK

Through the ages, religion has been the source of moral and spiritual values.

E: true

However, since the start of modern era of research, it has been thought that there is certain amount of conflict between science and religion.

According to the Holy Quran (all times preserved by God)*, there is none. Harmony between Revelation and Knowledge is the root of Holy Quran.

E: I did not know that. I never read the book.

Application of reason and intellect and pondering on natural phenomenon is commanded in many verses, thus there is no conflict between science and religion…

E: I do not follow your reasoning.

as earth requires rain and eyes requires sunshine, human brains and thoughts require revelation so that mental capacities function at right track.

E: the brain (mind) requires revelation. What does revelation mean in this context, please?

Revelation purifies thoughts.

E: how?

Revelation is sent to the pure and virtuous whom God please to.

E: I am starting to not understand.

Revelation descends on hearts of Prophets for general benefit. Their life is always an open book. Their worldly life is pure and they speak truth about God too. Revelation continue to enlighten the paths of human thinking and enshrines souls, purifies deeds, sets purpose of creation and evolution of the perfectly designed directed and interconnected universe and brings human closer to God.

E: continuing to not understand

Intellect and wisdom has three partners. For worldly matters, partner of wisdom is observation and experiment.

For matters related to eras and times, the partner of wisdom is history.

E: Ok, you lost me. Verily I say unto you …huh?

Peace on you…
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#45New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 19:38:49
@Erimitus Said

<pheew> long post

There should be no inconsistency between revelation from God and science because of the same source. If there seems to be any disharmony, then it is because either something is not properly understood or a religion has been altered by human or a certain scientific research is not fully blossomed.

E: OK

Through the ages, religion has been the source of moral and spiritual values.

However, since the start of modern era of research, it has been thought that there is certain amount of conflict between science and religion.

According to the Holy Quran (all times preserved by God)*, there is none. Harmony between Revelation and Knowledge is the root of Holy Quran.

E: I did not know that. I never read the book.

Application of reason and intellect and pondering on natural phenomenon is commanded in many verses, thus there is no conflict between science and religion…

E: I do not follow your reasoning.

as earth requires rain and eyes requires sunshine, human brains and thoughts require revelation so that mental capacities function at right track.

E: the brain (mind) requires revelation. What does revelation mean in this context, please?

E: how?

Revelation is sent to the pure and virtuous whom God please to.

E: I am starting to not understand.

Revelation descends on hearts of Prophets for general benefit. Their life is always an open book. Their worldly life is pure and they speak truth about God too. Revelation continue to enlighten the paths of human thinking and enshrines souls, purifies deeds, sets purpose of creation and evolution of the perfectly designed directed and interconnected universe and brings human closer to God.

E: continuing to not understand

Intellect and wisdom has three partners. For worldly matters, partner of wisdom is observation and experiment.

For matters related to eras and times, the partner of wisdom is history.

E: Ok, you lost me. Verily I say unto you …huh?

Peace on you…

I kinda understand what he is saying. I think.

He means all reality concerning science and religion come from the same source.(GOD) If there are contradictions then it is because of human failings and manipulation of the facts.

Meaning when you have given up all fantasy and illusions of reality the truth will be revealed to you.

Intellect and wisdom has three partners.
Observation, experimentation, and historical reference.

Hopefully I was not too far of target.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs