Religion Vs Science student study, please help

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 19:38:25
Ok Mike, made this sticky so check back every now and then, also PM me when you are done so i can let it drop.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 19:54:01
@SparklyKatie Said

Just done it.

ditto!
MikeW On March 15, 2011

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 20:47:09
Thanks very much, I need as many people as possible, so if anyone feels like the can spare 5 mins I would really appreciate it.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#19New Post! Mar 15, 2011 @ 21:44:10
@MikeW Said
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/434062/Composite-Actively-Open-Minded-Scale Link OKed by Moderator
Hello, my name is Michael and I am a post graduate student currently performing research into the psychology of religion for my Msc with the Open University. I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but I really felt I wanted to post in The Forum Site as it has such a wide and varied user base. I am trying to get as broad a spiritual and scientific base of answers as possible, so I really hope everyone doesn't mind me posting this here. My research is in measuring similarities and differences between scientific and religious thought.I am also gathering data with people who are both scientific and religious in outlook. In this study I am looking at levels of open-mindedness between those who have religious belief and those who do not. I am in need of participants and I was wondering if there would be any chance of anyone helping me out by taking my survey? It only takes 5 minutes to complete and it is completely anonymous. If you would like to look at the survey then please PM me.

I really would appreciate greatly any help you could give me. If you have any questions please feel free to post here . Iis an admin or mod that feels they could let me post the link to my student project that would be great, but if not I completely understand

i just took it
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#20New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 03:23:07
@SparklyKatie Said

I will, once treebs OK's the link.

i strongly agree
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 12:40:17
@Erimitus Said

i strongly agree

Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 12:54:13
Is Charlie Sheen an official religious belief yet?
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#23New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 13:16:55
Religion if based on a god of any definition is in itself fundamentally opposed to science unless the scientist is a theist which is still a contradiction to science.

science itself can be spiritual as it deals with life itself which is what we are, any religion that opposes science is against true spirituallity.

IMO

#24New Post! Mar 20, 2011 @ 00:09:30
@radharc Said

Religion if based on a god of any definition is in itself fundamentally opposed to science unless the scientist is a theist which is still a contradiction to science.

science itself can be spiritual as it deals with life itself which is what we are, any religion that opposes science is against true spirituallity.

IMO

how do you define religion?

#25New Post! Mar 20, 2011 @ 19:22:59
@Erimitus Said

how do you define religion?

Religion:

Religion refers to beliefs pertaining to the existence, nature, and worship of a god or gods.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#26New Post! Apr 06, 2011 @ 18:40:24
@MikeW Said
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/434062/Composite-Actively-Open-Minded-Scale Link OKed by Moderator
Hello, my name is Michael and I am a post graduate student currently performing research into the psychology of religion for my Msc with the Open University. I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but I really felt I wanted to post in The Forum Site as it has such a wide and varied user base. I am trying to get as broad a spiritual and scientific base of answers as possible, so I really hope everyone doesn't mind me posting this here. My research is in measuring similarities and differences between scientific and religious thought.I am also gathering data with people who are both scientific and religious in outlook. In this study I am looking at levels of open-mindedness between those who have religious belief and those who do not. I am in need of participants and I was wondering if there would be any chance of anyone helping me out by taking my survey? It only takes 5 minutes to complete and it is completely anonymous. If you would like to look at the survey then please PM me.

I really would appreciate greatly any help you could give me. If you have any questions please feel free to post here . Iis an admin or mod that feels they could let me post the link to my student project that would be great, but if not I completely understand

Maybe this will shed some light!
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:21:20
I have to admit I do ot understand why there is such a disagreement between Science and Religion. I see few area's where Science actually contradicts the bible.

Take, the obvious one of the Evolution / Creation argument. It is an argument wchich rages between the proponents of either camp, and will continus until someone finds some unarguable proof for one or the other.

I am a keen bible student, and also have a deep interest in any science that attempts t0o describe humans, animals or our lovely planet. So often I watch program like "Earth, the Power of the Planet" and I lsiten to the evidence and to me it all speaks of creation rather than any random act. So, what am I "seeing" that others aren't. Well for a start I am seeing that many evolutionists are biased so strongly they won;t accept the possibility that Creation could be true. Why else would someone like Richard Dawkins make a ststement that has stuck in my mind sicne I heard it, and undermined my belief in the objectivity of scientists. What did he say, well, as accurately as I can remember the wording he said "I know I cannot prove evolution, but I shall continue to believe it because the alternative is simply unacceptable".

Surely the only thing that is unacceptable is a lie, the truth, or as close as we can get to it is all that matters. Should either ever be proved true, by empirical evidence rather than the current specualtion, then that has to be the acceptable solution.

I am currently watching a program called "The Gene Code", recorded off BBC4, which talks about the commonality in the DNA from single celled bacteria right up to human kind. So are we looking at something which somehow magically changed itself to produce different kinds of animal,or are we looking at the building block which the creator used for all life, simply changing the minimum of genomes needed to produice the animal he wanted. To me that certainly sounds like the way that God, as I know him, would work and is more likely in my mind that a long string of happy accidents, which it inevitably has to be if Evolution is to be believed as taught at present.

I also believe that explains the virgin birth of the Christ. For God's purposes Jesus had to be born a perfect human being, as Adam was. How could that be acheived using humans to bring it about? There is onyl one way, God altered the DNA in an unfertilized egg to bring about the changes need for Jesus to take on the life and personality of His heavenly son, and become a perfect human. For that, the mother had to be a virgin so that no-one could rightly claim that he was literally conceived of man. That was even more important for the Angels and Demons to be in no doubt of than for humans, so they at least could not argue. Since the whole problem astarted within the ranks of the Heavenly creatures their having the right or wrong of the issues proeved was vitally important.

That's my belief, make of it what you will, but to me it is the most logical route to take.
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#28New Post! May 16, 2011 @ 11:32:12
I find the survey biased in favour if the opinion that those without an education are somehow supernaturally inclined.. in the less economically developed countries this is true however in the west it is not always applicable as not everyone without higher education has a supernatural outlook. just an opinion.
Electric_Banana On April 20, 2024

, New Zealand
#29New Post! May 16, 2011 @ 12:02:37
I remember this Twilight Zone episode, a handful of people pop up in a mysterious environment for sixties plus years challenging religion with science only to learn that they're all whipped clones from a science lab.

Dun dun dun dun dunnnnn dun-dun.
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#30New Post! May 16, 2011 @ 12:06:36
'Science and religion are two ends of the same string' like a child discovers its world so to does humanity.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs