Physics

Relativity Question

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#1New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 03:26:52
I've been doing some relativity lately and I came upon one mind experiment that I didn't quite grasp. Jack mentioned this experiment in one of his threads. In the thought experiment, Einstein is in a train in front of a clock tower. When the clock strikes 12 noon ( or when the photons coming from the clock reach Einstein) the train starts moving backwards at the speed of light. The argument states that for Einstein, the clock would always point to 12 o'clock. The problem I'm having with this is that according to the theory of relativity, Einstein would see the photons from the clock coming towards him at the speed of light. From what I understand, this means that photons from the clock would be passing Einstein every moment at the speed of light. If this is the case, then the photons carrying the information about what time it is would eventually pass Einstein. So then, how can he keep seeing 12 o clock? I don't think I fully understand the concept of photons or relativity. However, I can't get more from the books I have and school is out so I can't ask my teacher. I would appreciate it if someone tells me what I'm missing.
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#2New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 04:54:15
Well, theoretically, if Einstein were traveling backwards, away from the clock at the speed of light, and the photonic view of that clock is traveling at the same along side of him, then by the layout of that experiment I can see how it would be possible for him to see a constant view of the clock at a 12 o'clock hour. He isn't surpassing the speed of the clock photons and neither are they surpassing him, they're both traveling at the same speed in the same direction, side by side as it were, with Einstein always at a constant point of viewing the clock at 12 o'clock.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#3New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 05:01:53
How does one "do" relativity? ...or even, just "some relativity"?
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#4New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 05:10:38
Very carefully and with use of protection cause you never know where relativity has been
johnzdoe On October 11, 2018

New York, Russia
#5New Post! Sep 29, 2018 @ 23:21:32
The secret to understanding Einstein's relativity is when you realize that its all just a load of old cobblers.

Don't bother to try to understand it, its totally irrational and nonsensical rubbish from the first words to the last.

No one in the real world uses it for anything, and those that claim to use it, are lying.

Its a mind f*** trick of those who have power, aimed at maintaining that power by controlling what you think.

The first think they want you to do is give up trying to figure it all out, and to simply and totally trust in those smarter than yourself.

You have just surrendered your own mind for reliance on superior people to manipulate.

Watch this short video that shows that special relativity is based on error.

https://www.b****ute.com/video/9CK9E5J5pGwZ/

There are hundreds of other people saying the same in a variety of ways.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs