Forums: Relationships:
Family

Relationship with my dad...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
iEaTcRaYoNs On August 30, 2009

Jefferson City, Missouri
#1New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 04:08:45
Okay, I didn't know where to put this topic at, so I decided this category...

My dad and I have never had a 'great' relationship. He's actually been a jerk my whole life. Not to just me, but to everyone EXCEPT for my oldest brother. Growing up with my dad he'd always yell at my mom and I. My mom would get yelled at even more if she stuck up for me. When I was in high school he told me on numerous times that I'd never make it anywhere in life. My mom even told me he told her that when I graduated he'd have my stuff packed and on the front pourch when I got home. Luckily he found another job in another city, so he moved out. There will be days when he'll be really nice and act like nothing ever happened, but it's hard for me to get past it. I now take things out on my boyfriend. I went to a therapist and I spilled everything out to her about my dad. I then went on to tell her about how I get angry at my boyfriend for reasons I don't even know. She told me she believed it was because without me knowing it the little things my boyfriend does reminds me of my dad. Things such as when my boyfriend joked 'It's my car, I'll listen to MY music.' I blew up on him. My dad is getting old and I know 19 years is a long time to be lost, but I kinda want to mend our relationship. For once I'd love to be called 'daddy's girl', but I have a feeling it's too late. I know it hurts my mom when my dad and I fight, but I can't stand being put down any more.

Now my question is...

What should I do? Should I try to mend the relationship before it's too late? If so, how? I've tried talking to him, I've even wrote an essay about it, but when he read it he got really mad and started yelling. Saying things such as 'I am not like that! I do treat her fairly'

Please help.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#2New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 04:17:13
I've totally written my dad off. If he wants what the same thing you want, it is up to him to make amends.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#3New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 04:35:33
I would write him a letter, and spill it all to him personally. If he still blows you off, give him an ultimatum. He is either nice to you or he isn't going to see you.
ironheart2009 On July 18, 2009

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 04:54:03
I had a very similar relationship with my Dad. Whereas am probably more cerebral and reserved, he was always very shouty, sometimes abusive and horribly inflexable.

Thankfully he left when I was thirteen years old and gradually that distance enabled us to both reach an amicable understanding.
We've never openly talked about my childhood but my sister has and I know he feels very guilty about his less than stellar parenting skills.
But to this day, I think if I tried to address the issue he would recoil into a defensive shell because he simply doesn't know how to discuss his guilt.

Do I deserve better than that?

Almost certainly, but the reality is that you can't force blood from a stone and in the end it was up to me whether I coninued to be involved with him.

Perhaps you face a similar choice.

If you want tomake things work with your Dad despite everything he's done, then don't allow your doubts tostop you from trying.
If he really is unreachable then at least you can put your hand on your heart and say that you did everything in your power to make it work.
But if you don't make that final effort you may end up regreting it for the rest of your life.

I hope you can work things out.
darkangel28 On February 08, 2019
im a maplestoryadict

damn it started snowing again,
#5New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 05:32:29
he sounds like my dad and here is what i learned from my dad i wish that me and my dad could get closer but the only way to do that is for me to sit outside and get drunk with him and he knows i am not going to do that.
my dad would rather blame other people for his problems and for s*** that he has done to us than take responsiblity for it himself.
like he blames my mom for everything that has ever happened to him he slept around and says thats her fault that he drinks and that he cheats and that he lost 100.00 in wendover so thats my moms fault too.
he believes that my mom brain washed us against him and that he is the victim and has never done anything wrong to anyone.
my whole life he has always treated me like nothing i ever do is ever good enough for him.
i mean he ever treats his own brother like s***.
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#6New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 07:18:44
Oh. This thread isn't anything like what I thought it would be.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#7New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 07:54:11
@iEaTcRaYoNs Said

Okay, I didn't know where to put this topic at, so I decided this category...

My dad and I have never had a 'great' relationship. He's actually been a jerk my whole life. Not to just me, but to everyone EXCEPT for my oldest brother. Growing up with my dad he'd always yell at my mom and I. My mom would get yelled at even more if she stuck up for me. When I was in high school he told me on numerous times that I'd never make it anywhere in life. My mom even told me he told her that when I graduated he'd have my stuff packed and on the front pourch when I got home. Luckily he found another job in another city, so he moved out. There will be days when he'll be really nice and act like nothing ever happened, but it's hard for me to get past it. I now take things out on my boyfriend. I went to a therapist and I spilled everything out to her about my dad. I then went on to tell her about how I get angry at my boyfriend for reasons I don't even know. She told me she believed it was because without me knowing it the little things my boyfriend does reminds me of my dad. Things such as when my boyfriend joked 'It's my car, I'll listen to MY music.' I blew up on him. My dad is getting old and I know 19 years is a long time to be lost, but I kinda want to mend our relationship. For once I'd love to be called 'daddy's girl', but I have a feeling it's too late. I know it hurts my mom when my dad and I fight, but I can't stand being put down any more.

Now my question is...

What should I do? Should I try to mend the relationship before it's too late? If so, how? I've tried talking to him, I've even wrote an essay about it, but when he read it he got really mad and started yelling. Saying things such as 'I am not like that! I do treat her fairly'

Please help.

Your father will never change I suspect. The only thing that can change here is your expectations of him.

You have plenty of time to decide whether you want a cordial relationship with him, or none at all. Your dad is probably a very unhappy guys and I suspect he feels quite guilty about how he acted when you were a kid - thus his reaction to your letter.

I think he may be too proud to ever admit that to you. I understand what you need to hear, but in all likelihood you will never hear it. He's just not that kind of guy.

And your therapist is right - not just your boyfriend, but any guy who acts like your dad will get you mad sometimes. Being aware of that is a huge step in itself. Not dating guys like your dad will help enormously too.

In time, what he thinks will gradually matter less to you. In the interim there's no reason you can't call occasionally and keep in touch - he is your father after all. If that becomes too painful, reduce the amount of time you talk to him. You should protect yourself most of all.

Jefferson City, Missouri
#8New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 17:37:22
Thanks to everyone who responded. Sunandsurf13, my current boyfriend now is nothing like my dad. I never explained anything to him about my dad before we got together, so he didn't know that his joking got to me. After I explained it he stopped saying things that did get me upset.
debbier1999 On October 04, 2009

Perryville, Missouri
#9New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 19:22:25
My dad left when I was 3. At 16 I tracked him down and tried desperately to have a relationship with him. Like you, I really wanted to know what it felt like to be a daddy's girl. After almost 20 years of trying, I finally realized that I was knocking myself out to get to know someone who had shown me numerous times that he would only spend time with me if he could absolutely find nothing else to do. The few times we did get together, I usually wound up feeling very hurt. I deserved better treatment from him but since I obviously was not going to get it, I cut him out of my life. Yes, I still wish we could have a decent father-daughter relationship but I know it will never happen so I've quit trying.

If he was a friend and not related, would you want to continue being friends?

Jefferson City, Missouri
#10New Post! Jun 10, 2009 @ 17:18:36
That's a good question, debbier. I in NO way would want to be my dad's friend if I wasn't related. He's hurt numerous of his friends, aswell. It's all been over stupid reasons too. He refused to continue talking to a friend of his because of a dog.
cashcrateluz On September 01, 2009

new york, New York
#11New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 06:08:35
you can only try so hard to make someone a part of your life.as a father he should be the one trying to get his daughters love not the other way around.the roles has been switched
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs