Rehabilitation, not Revenge

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:40:00
Every thread I've seen on this site about criminal justice has been almost completely focused on making criminals suffer slow and painful deaths (which is sometimes worse than what their victims themselves have suffered). Why the hell is everyone so bloody-minded? Why isn't anyone capable of forgiveness, especially those members whose religion demands them to be?

A justice system based on revenge may make some of the more medieval victims feel better, and it gets politicians votes. But it is neither moral, nor effective in terms of reoffence rates. Criminal justice should be about detaining dangerous individuals to protect society from them, and reconditioning them so that they no longer cause suffering; I should probably mention that this strange and radical idea is called 'rehabilitation', for those who have never heard of it. And of course, rehabilitation isn't possible without forgiveness.

Can someone please alleviate my despair by telling me they agree?
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:43:26
Yes rehab is a good thing, however it isnt used in the right proportions to the crimes.
The most serious offenders that make up a tiny ammount of out prison system get the best rehab, while the muggers and whatnot get second rate s***e delivered by half trained juniors.
Should be the other way round.
manicfemme On August 24, 2008

Deleted

Fremantle, Australia
#3New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:44:06
You have obviously never been affected by such people?
People who kill/molest children do deserve slow painful deaths, robbers and stuff don't, but the nonces and child killers most certainly do.....
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:44:08
I think you've focused on a few very vocal posters.

Many, many of us have consistently argued against torture and death as "punishment" for criminals, and against "revenge" and retribution as motives.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:49:22
@manicfemme Said
You have obviously never been affected by such people?
People who kill/molest children do deserve slow painful deaths, robbers and stuff don't, but the nonces and child killers most certainly do.....

It seems there is a select list of crimes highlighted in media-inspired moral panics which are consistently seen as capital offences. These particular acts are as much taboos as crimes.

However, if someone is an unarmed prisoner I fail to see how anyone can justify killing them. It's pointless and wasteful.

Deleted

Fremantle, Australia
#6New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:53:57
So if someone was touching your children in an untoward manner you wouldn't wanna throw them in your boot and take a long drive?
And as for child killers here in Australia we have had so many children killed in the last few months, It makes me so very sad.
In my opinion if these people have no respect for a young human beings life, why should we have any for theirs?
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:55:41
@manicfemme Said
So if someone was touching your children in an untoward manner you wouldn't wanna throw them in your boot and take a long drive?
And as for child killers here in Australia we have had so many children killed in the last few months, It makes me so very sad.
In my opinion if these people have no respect for a young human beings life, why should we have any for theirs?

I'm afraid I don't have any children, but yes, I would want to protect them. However, 'protection' doesn't extend to killing their assailant long after he has been rendered harmless.

"if these people have no respect for a young human beings life, why should we have any for theirs?" - because we are not child killers like them...are we?

Deleted

Fremantle, Australia
#8New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 13:58:26
Ok, I agree with you theoretically on that point alone, but at that moment I'm certain my rage would overshadow my morals.
Lets just agree to disagree?