Redskins no more...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#16New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 20:04:36
The Redskins will now be called the "Washington Football Team" (just for this year).

They should have gone with "America's Football Team"... or "The Greatest Football Team".
Darkman666 On about 12 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#17New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 20:19:39
i like the team call: washington honkies.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 22:21:47
We are going in the opposite direction over here. Not necessarily in football, but in other sports, especially Rugby League (silly game. Not really rugby at all).

Our sporting clubs originated with names that reflected either their locality or their cultural roots. I particularly liked the rugby club from Wakefield in Yorkshire, that were started in the 1800's by a local church group. They called themselves Wakefield Trinity. Isn't that nice..?

They followed the trend of Americanising themselves and re-branded as Wakefield Wildcats. It wasn't popular with the fans and they returned to their traditional name.

But all sorts of clubs here have now adopted Americanised names. Huddersfield Giants. Leeds Rhinos. Warrington Wolves. Wigan Warriors. Such changes are invariably met by fans of rival clubs with rolled eyes and sniggers behind the hand. Somehow, it just doesn't "work" here.

I can't imagine American clubs adopting European style club names. Like, New York Jets becoming New York City (or even United), or Tampa Bay Athletic. Not going to happen, is it...?

Nah.

I personally don't see any offence in names like Washington Redskins although I confess to having no knowledge of what association Washington may have with Native Americans to justify such a name, or whether it just seemed kinda catchy at the time.

I like watching gridiron football and chose to cheer for NY Jets because I see the name as having a connection with West Side Story which is one of my favourite musicals. Perhaps Giants could re-brand as the Sharks. That'd make matches between them interesting.

By the way... has anybody asked any genuine redsk.... er, native Americans what they think of the football team's name...? I'm just wondering, that's all.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#19New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 23:08:22
@Jennifer1984 Said

I personally don't see any offence in names like Washington Redskins

To understand that it is offensive all one needs to do is swap "Redskins" for something else similarly insulting...

Let's try it out....

The Washington Niggers... Coons... Black Faces...

The Washington Chinamen... Chinks... Gooks...

The Washington Slave Traders....

The Washington Kykes... Jew boys... Gas Dodgers...

The Washington Spics... Wetbacks...

The Washington Sand Niggers...

I could go on, but maybe you get the point.

If not try imagining an insulting word that describes a group you are a part of socially, sexually, etc... now make that the name of a sports team.

To me it is obvious, but that is just me... I also believe that complaints about political correctness are bulls***, but that is probably a different thread.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jul 24, 2020 @ 13:01:36
@chaski Said

To understand that it is offensive all one needs to do is swap "Redskins" for something else similarly insulting...

Let's try it out....

The Washington Niggers... Coons... Black Faces...

The Washington Chinamen... Chinks... Gooks...

The Washington Slave Traders....

The Washington Kykes... Jew boys... Gas Dodgers...

The Washington Spics... Wetbacks...

The Washington Sand Niggers...

I could go on, but maybe you get the point.

If not try imagining an insulting word that describes a group you are a part of socially, sexually, etc... now make that the name of a sports team.

To me it is obvious, but that is just me... I also believe that complaints about political correctness are bulls***, but that is probably a different thread.

I understand entirely the point you're making there, but as far as I'm aware.... and I appreciate that I don't live on that side of the pond.... 'redskins' wasn't something that Native Americans were particularly bothered about. I accept that I could be wrong on that point though. Please advise.

Has there been a complaint by whatever organisations monitor these things on behalf of first nations, or has the football franchise taken it upon itself to change the name in order to head off such complaints before they come in..?

You tell me. I'm the outsider here, trying to understand. And this isn't the no-brainer you might think it is. There is a point to what I'm arguing.

Taking offence is in the purview of the receiver. Speaking for myself, I've been called so many names so many times they cease to have any meaning any more. They don't bother me and I don't complain. I've heard them all and know lots more besides so when I'm called a name, I respond with something along the lines of "Awwwwww, come-come now. Can't you do better than that..? How about (this) or (that)...."

If you've ever seen the movie 'Roxanne' with Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah you'll know where I'm coming from. Mock the offender and make him look a prat in front of his mates. Get everybody laughing AT him, rather than WITH him.

It works for me.

So..... if indeed this is a case of Washington trying to head off possible future trouble then OK, that's cool too. It shows that the protests are having an effect on American race culture. And that's a good thing.

If the name change isn't 'necessary' or enforced' but is now 'desirable' then praise the Lord, we're winning.

But for my money, it still wouldn't have bothered me had things not changed. You see.... I can be glad that the change is happening on behalf of another offended group, but any offence I personally might have felt at the name would have been irrelevant.

Oh, and I did once play for a netball team called "Pinkies" and that has a certain meaning in the LGBT community here. All the other (straight) girls teams knew what it meant though and they all laughed it off.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#21New Post! Jul 24, 2020 @ 14:20:34
@Jennifer1984 Said

I understand entirely the point you're making there, but as far as I'm aware.... and I appreciate that I don't live on that side of the pond.... 'redskins' wasn't something that Native Americans were particularly bothered about. I accept that I could be wrong on that point though. Please advise.

Has there been a complaint by whatever organisations monitor these things on behalf of first nations, or has the football franchise taken it upon itself to change the name in order to head off such complaints before they come in..?

The word "redskins" has been deemed insulting by native americans for a long time. The teams use of "redskins" has been a long standing complaint by many (most?) native americans.

The use of native Americans as mascots for sports and commercials products has been a long standing complaint.

We have a university in Florida that uses the name/mascot of the Seminole tribe. The university works closely with the Seminole tribe(s) of Florida in terms of any uniforms, pictures, etc etc. None the less, other native americans across the USA have complained about it.

We used to have some native americans here on TFS, they were far better at presenting their case than I.

I used to have my doubts, but they convinced me that "redskins" and many other words/reresnetations of them by sports is insulting.

I have to trust people when they say a word, term, name is insulting to them in terms of race, sex, culture, etc...

The fact that it doesn't bother me and/or wasn't meant by me to be insulting is irrelevant.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#22New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 03:35:34
I live in an area with a very high Native American population,
Granted with any group there is a disagreement in opinions, because we are all human.

Native American mascots have generally been seen as offensive and demeaning by most, the redskins more than others. (Like Indians, chiefs) as redskin is literally a slur. People have been trying to get the name changed for years.

Yes, if you ask enough Native Americans you’ll find a few that like the name. And they seem to get a lot of attention not only because they have a different opinion, but as use to weaponize marginalized voices, to continue the status quo.
They aren’t wrong, but they aren’t right either. Being personally offended isn’t always the proper question.

I don’t care either way, I don’t like football I don’t identify as native. My coworkers and friends that do have said mascots like the redskins are damaging and had thoughtful discussion on why, good enough for me.... Get a new name.
I’m not going to care enough to defend it, and it does not cost me anything to be kind and support to people that I know do care.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 09:16:55
Over in the UK we have some fine old names. Seeing the name just one thing is suggested.......a soccer team.

Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest
Sheffield Wednesday

No one conjures up images of a palace, a forest or any day of the week.

I'm sure many will just think of a team and the game they play, whatever the name. But as said, if some are offended, then a name change will do little harm. And "redskins" is in another league to Palaces and suchlike.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#24New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 14:26:02
@dookie Said

Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield "Hump Day" was probably too offensive.
Darkman666 On about 12 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#25New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 19:57:19
this would be offensive to Sheffield:

Sheffield's hoodies
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 20:45:20
The Six Grandfathers, part of the sacred hills of the Lakota tribe, before their land was seized illegally by the US Government.

I just love "avoiding the issue".....

mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#27New Post! Jul 26, 2020 @ 01:04:25
What about the Fighting Irish?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#28New Post! Jul 26, 2020 @ 01:14:17
@mrmhead Said

What about the Fighting Irish?

I have no Irish blood in me, so I couldn't care less about Seamus...

Just kidding.

My opinion is it is a stupid mascot, but if the Irish like it I guess I'm ok with it also.

...having said that, I know a mixed race woman form Jamaica, who likes to pretend she is pure "English" (completely BS), who says that the Irish are dumb and like to fight... "its in their blood".

Seems like a racial/cultural stereo type to me...
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#29New Post! Jul 27, 2020 @ 08:29:47
I heard or read somewhere that the name change was hitting many roadblocks due to some dude trademarking any possible Washington RED[WHATEVERs]

I'll see if I can find a link to that.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#30New Post! Jul 27, 2020 @ 13:14:46
@JuanSmith Said

I heard or read somewhere that the name change was hitting many roadblocks due to some dude trademarking any possible Washington RED[WHATEVERs]

I'll see if I can find a link to that.

I heard something about that too.
He claims it wasn't to make money to sell the trademark, but to protect it from someone else doing so.

-
It seems there is a pissing match between the band formerly known as Lady Antebellum - that wants to be Lady A now - and an artist that has gone by Lady A for decades (an African American no less)

-
And if The Dixie Chicks can drop Dixie and go by "The Chicks" - does that mean it is now totally acceptable to call women "Chicks"?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs