Reagan economic advisor says government needs to spend

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#1New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 21:55:31
"The federal government could increase aggregate spending by directly employing workers or undertaking public works projects. But there is no possibility of that given the political gridlock in Congress and President’s Obama’s desire to appear moderate and fiscally responsible going into next year’s election."
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/its-the-aggregate-demand-stupid/?scp=1&sq=aggregate%20demand&st=cse

Where are today's Republicans getting their wacky economic theories from? Even this Reagan advisor knows they're full of crap!
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 22:26:31
and as the old adage goes you gotta spend money to make money
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 22:30:31
reagan, his advisors and everyone who loved him, including thatcher are complete d***s.

out of touch knob ends.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 22:53:38
@Oisin Said

reagan, his advisors and everyone who loved him, including thatcher are complete d***s.

out of touch knob ends.

Regardless of that. Tino is correct. The pubs have Reagan (sorry Obama -you've never been considered this much of a messiah) on such a high pedestal you'd think they would back this as the best thing since sliced bread. They don't because.... well he's not a pub.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 22:54:16
@El_Tino Said

"The federal government could increase aggregate spending by directly employing workers or undertaking public works projects. But there is no possibility of that given the political gridlock in Congress and President’s Obama’s desire to appear moderate and fiscally responsible going into next year’s election."
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/its-the-aggregate-demand-stupid/?scp=1&sq=aggregate%20demand&st=cse

Where are today's Republicans getting their wacky economic theories from? Even this Reagan advisor knows they're full of crap!

@Delta62 Said

and as the old adage goes you gotta spend money to make money

The bipartisan Congressional Budget Office came to the same conclusion over a year ago.

"corporate tax cuts generate 40 cents on dollar, compared to $1.75 for infrastructure spending"
Natural asshole

#6New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 22:55:40
@Leon Said

The bipartisan Congressional Budget Office came to the same conclusion over a year ago.

"corporate tax cuts generate 40 cents on dollar, compared to $1.75 for infrastructure spending"

I got to that a few years ago
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 22:58:07
@Delta62 Said

I got to that a few years ago

Certainly makes sense anyways. Spend now, and do the cuts when we can all better afford to under a more conducive economy.
Natural asshole

#8New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:03:00
@Leon Said

Certainly makes sense anyways. Spend now, and do the cuts when we can all better afford to under a more conducive economy.

yeah and don't do aggressive cuts try and reduce spending say a couple of percent every quarter and sell roughly 10 troy ounces of gold every 6 months or how much you would want to sell and it isn't confined to that time period either.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:06:31
@Delta62 Said

yeah and don't do aggressive cuts try and reduce spending say a couple of percent every quarter and sell roughly 10 troy ounces of gold every 6 months or how much you would want to sell and it isn't confined to that time period either.

Absolutely. Even in booming times, drastic cuts can do a lot of damage to a lot of people. Things like this need to be gradual, with buffers and contingencies in place.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#10New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:08:49
Todays conservatives only love Reagan when he's being mis-quoted, or when his quotes are taken completely out of context.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:12:12
Too bad DC isn't taking the above postings to heart and DO THE RIGHT THINGS!
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:13:48
@shinobinoz Said

I knew who Obama was quoting that night before he mentioned who it was. It was a great strategic move by him. But, correct, nobody on the right is listening. Deaf ears, all of them.
Natural asshole

#13New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:14:01
@Leon Said

Absolutely. Even in booming times, drastic cuts can do a lot of damage to a lot of people. Things like this need to be gradual, with buffers and contingencies in place.

yeah slow cuts to everything baring education military and health care and public transport but with a cap on the aforementioned sectors as to control their spending and not allow them to become a huge drain on the resources.

agh i was thinking of quote when i said that and i can't for the life of me remember what it was.
Natural asshole

#14New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:15:00
@Leon Said

I knew who Obama was quoting that night before he mentioned who it was. It was a great strategic move by him. But, correct, nobody on the right is listening. Deaf ears, all of them.

deaf blind and dumb is more correct lol
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#15New Post! Aug 16, 2011 @ 23:35:06
@shinobinoz Said

Who is DC?

Or do you mean congress? Because in future I'd appreciate it if you didn't refer to any of them as coming from the District of Columbia.. You guys sent them here, and those of us who live here would really appreciate it if you'd make better choices next year.

Though in reality, when you folks from out in the rest of the country send us a bunch of a*****es who can't agree on anything, it works out well for those of us who live inside the beltway, because the money keeps pouring in, and the a*****es you sent here can't seem to make it pour back out..

We'll keep using it while your representatives keep fighting about it.

Here's a picture of what you bought us while Bush was still president and the economy was tanking

Not to worry.. it only cost you 1.5 billion dollars.

And here's what Bush and Obama built for us together, while you all were losing your homes.

That cost you about 4 billion. But no worries, because you actually paid to build it in my county, so the creation of a couple thousand jobs helped to keep my property taxes down for another three years.

Thanks.. and I take back my first statement... Keep sending thick headed a*****es who refuse to compromise to congress, so the money stays here.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs