Politics

Punishment for sex offenders and paedophiles

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#1New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:18:39
The initial news stories of Jaycee Lee Dugand & her survival brought me close to tears in my car as I heard it on the radio. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Her abductor, Phillip Garrido, was a registered sex offender, having previously served time in jail for multiple offences against other women stemming back to the 1970's.

Generally I oppose the death penalty, but when it comes to some people in society who are this evil and depraved, I'm less certain that our humane treatment of them should apply.

Clearly some sex offenders & paedophiles cannot be 'cured' & are often released from prison back into society - to only re-offend.

Why do we release these guys from prison? In light of re-offense rates, do they deserve a 2nd chance?
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#2New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:27:47
Tbh they do deserve a second chance, for we know, they might reform in prison if they come on their first stint in prison

I was shocked that the authorities never took up the trail on this person, knowing his previous offence
DeepRed On March 07, 2010
Tripologist

Deleted

Michael Winner's basement, Uni
#4New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:32:50
The problem that many of them go back to their normal lives and they make use of thier second chance and the problem the police face is that they could either lock them all up, not let them leave their house and the like. Its true they might save some lives but they'd ruin many others

Sydney, Australia
#5New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:40:58
@sugarflyguy Said

Tbh they do deserve a second chance, for we know, they might reform in prison if they come on their first stint in prison

I was shocked that the authorities never took up the trail on this person, knowing his previous offence

I'd ike to think that they can reform - that is supposed to be the point of prison, apart from protecting society.

I agree re: Garrido. I'm sure there are a few cops in his home town who are sleeping pretty badly these days. But I don't blame the law enforcement there. Sex offenders are often born chameleons - they are often experts when it comes to deception - virtuosos at pretending to be completely different from who they really are.
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

#7New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:47:58
@amelie3 Said

I'd ike to think that they can reform - that is supposed to be the point of prison, apart from protecting society.

I agree re: Garrido. I'm sure there are a few cops in his home town who are sleeping pretty badly these days. But I don't blame the law enforcement there. Sex offenders are often born chameleons - they are often experts when it comes to deception - virtuosos at pretending to be completely different from who they really are.

So true there, just wish they would realise before they do such acts, that it damages that person's life

Sydney, Australia
#8New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:56:16
@DeepRed Said

The problem that many of them go back to their normal lives and they make use of thier second chance and the problem the police face is that they could either lock them all up, not let them leave their house and the like. Its true they might save some lives but they'd ruin many others

It's a good point. Technically, I'd like to think everyone deserves a second chance. That's the optimist in me.

According to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_offender

"Approximately 4,300 child molesters were released from prisons in 15 States in 1994. An estimated 3.3% of these 4,300 were rearrested for another sex crime against a child within 3 years of release from prison."

The link I attached also details some psychological tests that claim to be predictive of traits inherent in sex offenders who would re-offend. Perhaps if these test were conducted in prison, it would help to identify the estimated 153 people who re-offend before they do?
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#9New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:58:05
@amelie3 Said

Wow. Was it a school football field?

Yup, a highschool game. He was a senior and had just turned 18 a few months prior. So he was treated as an adult. They were also making an example out of him.

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:01:37
@sugarflyguy Said

So true there, just wish they would realise before they do such acts, that it damages that person's life

Some paedophiles claim that their love for a child cannot be bad & that society misunderstand them.

And I'm sure other paedophiles, espec those who kill their victims later, don't give a flying f*** about how their victims feel.

I'm sure a lack of genuine empathy is missing in most offenders genetic make-up- at least at the time they offend.

Sydney, Australia
#11New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:02:34
@Coleosis Said

Yup, a highschool game. He was a senior and had just turned 18 a few months prior. So he was treated as an adult. They were also making an example out of him.

that's f***ed up.
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#12New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:08:25
@amelie3 Said

that's f***ed up.

He used to joke around saying that the judge was just jealous that he had a bigger member. He only has to register for 8 years I beleieve (and it happened 5 years ago)....but he can never be a doctor, teacher, or a bunch of other stuff.
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

#13New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:08:56
@amelie3 Said

Some paedophiles claim that their love for a child cannot be bad & that society misunderstand them.

And I'm sure other paedophiles, espec those who kill their victims later, don't give a flying f*** about how their victims feel.

I'm sure a lack of genuine empathy is missing in most offenders genetic make-up- at least at the time they offend.

I think it is a lack of morality/understanding really
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#14New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:10:26
@sugarflyguy Said

I think it is a lack of morality/understanding really

In the case of Micheal Jackson (if he was guilty) I agree with the lack of understanding/morality.

Sydney, Australia
#15New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:23:24
@Coleosis Said

He used to joke around saying that the judge was just jealous that he had a bigger member. He only has to register for 8 years I beleieve (and it happened 5 years ago)....but he can never be a doctor, teacher, or a bunch of other stuff.

I'm really stunned by this.

I can understand that he might have been charged with nudity in a public place. If he had been 40 I'd understand it better.

If only he'd done his nudey streak 4 months earlier.......
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs