Mental Health

Psychiatrists

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Tiggy On May 18, 2009

Halifax, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 18:39:43
Do they actually do any good?
I keep being told all they will do is mess with my head and make things worse.
but iv just been referred to one
what do you think?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 18:40:28
Didn't help me.
lindasue1718 On January 13, 2010

San Antonio, Texas
#3New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 18:43:12
It depends on the dr. Ive been to bad ones and good ones. IF you get the feeling the doctor is a flake and/or only cares about the money..i.e. the dr doesnt really ask many questions just gives you a quick diagnosis based on a survey you fill out, then hands you a prescription, then find another one. My shrink takes the time to talk and give me advice and then he hands me my prescription. Hes a really down to earth guy and a relief after some of the doctors Ive been to.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#4New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 18:53:07
Are you seeing a prescribing psychiatrist. In my practice all incoming patients are screened by a psychiatrist. If there is no need for meds. they see a psychologist. There are good and bad as in all professions. I go because I hear nothing but horror stories all day; but it's my profession. You need one that you like, you can shop around.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#5New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 18:53:13
That is a tough one. It all depends on the rapport you have with your Psychiatrist. If it's comfortable for both and they actually listen and help and you're honest with them, they're great help.

It's very hard to come by a decent Psychiatrist that really give two shakes about the patient rather than the money..

If you don't click with your Psych, then it's time to find another..

Remember you have to be open with them and they have to listen, that's the key. And they have to challenge your way of thinking, if they don't, walk...
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#6New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 19:37:03
depends on the person and depends on the psychologist.

it helps to talk to someone, sometimes its better if the person is a stranger who won't judge, its basically taking time to think about and face up to things that are bothering you.

give it a chance, and by a chance i think more than one session and if you don't think it helps then don't go anymore.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 19:38:32
Scientologists dont like psychiatrists much.

To be honest in the UK a psychiatrist generally deals with medicating a person and doing an evaluation. They dont really get involved in psychology or therapy, they just ask a load of questions and decide if you need some medicine and then you go back and see them and say if you feel better or not.

Often they refer you to a counsellor who is someone who listens and can give advice on how to cope on a daily basis with any problems you have.

Its not at all like the movies where they delve into your childhood or traumas of the past. Those things only come up if you happen to mention them and even then you will find it is you that does the talking, they just listen.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#8New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 01:54:07
Scientologists are down right scary imo.
afroanglopeace On July 26, 2009

Dallas, Texas
#9New Post! Jul 16, 2009 @ 00:11:27
They can help. But remember you need to educate your self and not blindly follow what ever they tell you. Know the side affects of each med you are precribed. When you begin taking it be aware of the affect it is having on you, the good and the not so good. The psychiatrist depends strongly on feedback he get's from you. It's a partnership if you will. They can't really do a very good job unless they get accurate feedback from you.
One caution I would make is, when you begin reading about side affects and symptoms, try to be objective as possible, it's common, for new patients especially, to begin to allow their imagination to run wild. One other point, remember that side affects can tend to lessen over time as your system adapts. Sometimes they get worse this usually means that your system can't tolerate the medicine, but sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. Thats not as common though.
blue_belle On August 16, 2009

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 15, 2009 @ 22:21:55
@x_Laura_x Said

Didn't help me.

Me either.
manfraco On November 04, 2010

Brisbane, Australia
#11New Post! Aug 22, 2009 @ 05:31:50
If you really need to see a psychiatrist they could really help. Anyhow, before you run to a psychiatrist make sure that you need to see one, you see you could be overdoing things and if you rest enough you'll be right again.
Be warned that you have to be very open with them otherwise they can get the wrong reading of your conditions and you may end worse off.
For what I have seen in my life, I recon that ten per cent of patient may not be diagnosed properly the first time and they run the risk to be prescribed the wrong medicine.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 22, 2009 @ 05:58:17
In England there are some mental health workers known as community psychiatric nurses [cpn] and if will give you the time are good and supportive. If you are seen to have a long term need try to get one to be your key worker [a personal interface between you and officials]. Someone who understands and cares. Unfortunatly few and very overworked. Dedicated people.
TrainerLisa On August 22, 2009

Half Moon Bay, California
#13New Post! Aug 22, 2009 @ 06:01:14
@Tiggy Said

Do they actually do any good?
I keep being told all they will do is mess with my head and make things worse.
but iv just been referred to one
what do you think?

This is a crude distinction, you have psychiatrists who prescribe medicines and psychologists who talk things through with you. Obviously psychiatrists are supposed to talk to you also.
Sometimes they put you on to medicines which you cannot be easily taken off.
It may sound strange and archaic but I have found some priests to be remarkably good with their advise. Take care.
GoodWitchBeth On February 20, 2010

#14New Post! Aug 25, 2009 @ 06:53:38
I have been in counseling for almost 20 years. I have had some wonderful psychiatrists and psychologists. But I've encountered a few that didn't know their a$$ from their elbow. There are good and bad in all professions. I suggest that you give it a chance, and if you feel that the counseling isn't working well for you, find a new doctor. Counseling has done me an immense amount of good in my life. I have learned how to accept things in my past and work through them and become stronger because of them. I have become able to deal with problems and stress in a much more positive and healthy way. I am a better parent and friend and partner because of the counseling I have recieved. So yes, the good ones are a wonderful aid in helping you deal with issues in life and in your personality.
Beth
acidron On November 26, 2011

a wee country town, Canada
#15New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 04:04:44
It's not my buisness why you were referred, but my dear....try it. I saw a doctor for many years for a horrible nightmare I went through. I felt it helped to speak to someone who was neutral. Someone who doesn't know you, your family etc. It's so much easier to spill your emotions to someone who is not within the circle. If this is a serious situation my dear, try it. You're young and look very bright and with spark. Good luck luv....PM me if you want to talk
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs