Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 11:57:42
@shadowen Said

Only this doesn't happen. In schools and unis its indoctrination over education.

I'm sure the left are happy for students, and people in general, to make up their own minds on various issues, just so long as their views match those of the 'progressive' left. If they don't then it's a case of CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL. If they don't then they are xenophobic, homophobic, transphobic, claustrophobic, sexist, racist, far right extremists etc etc etc

How would you know how history is taught in British schools, colleges and universities...? Your ignorance is breathtaking and this is an example of how I come to question your pathetic contributions to the discussion. You know nothing of our systems or practices and yet you condemn them.

You use the word "Woke" which is an Americanism that actually, hardly any British people use and you use it as a pejorative in the context of having been awoken to the injustices around them. As in “I was sleeping, but now I’m woke.”

So...... what is wrong with being awake to injustice..? In the way you use the word, you use it as a slur.... a slander you attempt to make it an undesirable word. Unable to challenge the meaning behind it, you attempt to degrade it. Pathetic.

The simple truth of the matter is that you despise anybody who is prepared to do something to combat your racism, right-wing extremism and hatred of anybody who doesn't espouse your nasty, vindictive doctrines.

It is NOT a bad thing to be "Woke". It is, in my opinion a good thing. We should all be awoken to things that harm us or deprive us of our freedoms and liberties.

I'm quite proud of the way I stand up and speak out for myself and those I see as being oppressed and subjected to injustice. I argue against the doctrines that are dragging MY country down. I won't be..... and I won't stand idly by and let others be....... subjected to hatred.

I'm the sort of person you can't stand for those reasons.

Protesting against the likes of you is a good thing and what I read from you on here only makes me all the more determined to oppose those like you who are in this country.

I'm awake to the likes of you. And it is a good thing.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#32New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 12:06:20
@Jennifer1984 Said

The simple truth of the matter is that you despise anybody who is prepared to do something to combat your racism, right-wing extremism and hatred of anybody who doesn't espouse your nasty, vindictive doctrines.

Is that another copy and paste job!!!?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#33New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 12:10:55
@Jennifer1984 Said

Rome wasn't built in a day.

No, but it was built by slaves. Every one should boycott anything to do with Rome. Tear down the statues of all Romans. That would be a good starting point.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#34New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 12:12:24
@shadowen Said

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"..every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right"

1984 - George Orwell

I think I prefer a Brave New World

"..there is always soma, delicious soma, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon..."

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#35New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 12:34:05

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#36New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 12:41:15
@mrmhead Said

"..there is always soma, delicious soma, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon..."

"A gramme is better than a damn, I wish I had my soma!"

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#37New Post! Jun 11, 2020 @ 13:27:21
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 15:26:19
@shadowen Said

No, but it was built by slaves. Every one should boycott anything to do with Rome. Tear down the statues of all Romans. That would be a good starting point.

Now you're being stupid. I'm not at all surprised by this. In fact, I expect it.

You haven't disappointed me in my expectation.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 15:31:35
@mrmhead Said

I think I prefer a Brave New World

This quote is a good example of what the characters in the book take soma for. It takes the mind on a mental trip and produces mental stability. Most of the characters are so used to taking it, that they are oblivious to the real world and rely on it for their escape.

Protesting isn't about escape, it's not about evading reality. It's about making beneficial changes to the reality of their situation.

Soma crops up a number of times in Brave New World. How about:

"the warm, the richly coloured, the infinitely friendly world of soma-holiday. How kind, how good-looking, how delightfully amusing every one was! "

Would you suggest that George Floyd's experience was "infinitely friendly"...?

Over to you.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#40New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 16:17:55
@Jennifer1984 Said

Now you're being stupid. I'm not at all surprised by this. In fact, I expect it.

You haven't disappointed me in my expectation.

Yes.

If "we" are going to defend and demand that monuments to people(s) and/or ideologies that were repressive and abhorrent remain standing, then "we" need to drop the hypocrisy and also demand that monuments to people(s) and/or ideologies that were repressive and abhorrent be returned/replaced.

This would include replacing monuments to Hitler & Nazi Germany, Lenin, Stalin, Saddam Hussein... just to name a few.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#41New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 19:36:31
@Jennifer1984 Said

This quote is a good example of what the characters in the book take soma for. It takes the mind on a mental trip and produces mental stability. Most of the characters are so used to taking it, that they are oblivious to the real world and rely on it for their escape.

Protesting isn't about escape, it's not about evading reality. It's about making beneficial changes to the reality of their situation.

Soma crops up a number of times in Brave New World. How about:

"the warm, the richly coloured, the infinitely friendly world of soma-holiday. How kind, how good-looking, how delightfully amusing every one was! "

Would you suggest that George Floyd's experience was "infinitely friendly"...?

Over to you.

If everyone were on soma, and everyone was happy, there'd be no conflict and nothing to protest about.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 21:36:43
@mrmhead Said

If everyone were on soma, and everyone was happy, there'd be no conflict and nothing to protest about.

LOL..... That's a somewhat sideways way of looking at it, but I take the point.

Keep the population stoned and happy. I knew students who seemed to have adopted that doctrine. And they graduated..!!
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#43New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 21:55:12
Getting back to the serious stuff now......

Violent clashes between police and demonstrators in London today. Some of the worst scenes we've had in the Capital for a long time.

However......... the demonstrators concerned WERE NOT black people (allegedly) vandalising statues. Rather, they were white, right wing extremists who came to the Capital - they said - to PROTECT statues from defacement by black protesters..... who weren't there.

White Right Wing Extremists Attack Police in London

There were no BLM demonstrations in London today. However, there was a meeting in Reading* (some forty or so miles west of London) which looked a bit like this.......

BLM Meeting In Reading

Demonstrators made their point, listened to speeches and gave interviews to radio and print media journalists. Other than that, they sat on the grass (no, MrMhead, they didn't smoke it. Well, some might have but that's not the point), observed social distancing and everything went off very peacefully.

Funny isn't it.... how the "Usual Suspects" are pretty quiet about the London attacks. They don't seem to be even able to find any condemnation for one of their number who urinated next to a memorial on the spot where a police officer was killed in a terrorist attack last year.

Imagine how they would respond if the person doing this was black......

PC Keith Palmer was killed in 2017 by a knife wielding terrorist who was attempting to force his way into the Houses of Parliament. He was awarded a posthumous George Medal for his act. Today, a yob pissed on his memorial.

Nothing to say, fellas....? Cat got your tongue...?

* Pronounced "Redding"... as in Otis.
Darkman666 On April 23, 2024

Saint Louis, Missouri
#44New Post! Jun 13, 2020 @ 22:47:56
@Jennifer1984 Said

Getting back to the serious stuff now......

Violent clashes between police and demonstrators in London today. Some of the worst scenes we've had in the Capital for a long time.

However......... the demonstrators concerned WERE NOT black people (allegedly) vandalising statues. Rather, they were white, right wing extremists who came to the Capital - they said - to PROTECT statues from defacement by black protesters..... who weren't there.

White Right Wing Extremists Attack Police in London

There were no BLM demonstrations in London today. However, there was a meeting in Reading* (some forty or so miles west of London) which looked a bit like this.......

BLM Meeting In Reading

Demonstrators made their point, listened to speeches and gave interviews to radio and print media journalists. Other than that, they sat on the grass (no, MrMhead, they didn't smoke it. Well, some might have but that's not the point), observed social distancing and everything went off very peacefully.

Funny isn't it.... how the "Usual Suspects" are pretty quiet about the London attacks. They don't seem to be even able to find any condemnation for one of their number who urinated next to a memorial on the spot where a police officer was killed in a terrorist attack last year.

Imagine how they would respond if the person doing this was black......

PC Keith Palmer was killed in 2017 by a knife wielding terrorist who was attempting to force his way into the Houses of Parliament. He was awarded a posthumous George Medal for his act. Today, a yob pissed on his memorial.

Nothing to say, fellas....? Cat got your tongue...?

* Pronounced "Redding"... as in Otis.

i am surprise that the man in the picture take pee off part of the fence. that's boy has a bladder!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#45New Post! Jun 14, 2020 @ 15:38:27
Some people are demanding that the statue of Cecil Rhodes be removed from Oxford. This is interesting as Nelson Mandela actually set up a new trust called the Mandela Rhodes Trust in 2005. At the official launch of the trust he looked at a picture of Cecil Rhodes and said "Cecil, you and I are going to have to work together now."

Perhaps we need to include statues of him on the puritan purge hit list.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs