Progressive Snapshot

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#1New Post! Apr 13, 2013 @ 13:29:49
Anyone tried it?

I just bought a new car (well new to me) and my insurance rates went up by a decent chunk - $70/month to $115/month. Eek. So I was thinking about trying it. I am already with Progressive and the miles I drive are insanely low. (Less than 6k/year.) Plus I drive like an old lady.

So has anyone here tried it and if so how'd it work for you?
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2013 @ 14:46:30
What is it? Might be a silly question. I drive pootling along quite happily at the speed limit and drive on average 1,000 miles a year (yes that does say one thousand per year!)
Magically Delicious

#3New Post! Apr 13, 2013 @ 15:15:34
https://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-how-it-works/

Here's the page for it.

For cars from 1995 and newer. It's a little device that plugs into your on board diagnostic doohicky (yeah that's the technical girlie term ) and monitors when you drive, how much you drive and how often you fast break.

Right now I drive about 4500 miles per year - which in State Farm land would qualify me for the low driving (usually senior) discount. But I'm not with State Farm right now.

Anyway, they send you the thing to plug in. You drive with it for 30 days. It monitors your driving and you can check on it daily. After 30 days it applies a discount - up to 30%. Then after having it for 6 months total you send it back and they calculate your permanent discount.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 13, 2013 @ 17:53:34
@LuckyCharms Said

https://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-how-it-works/

Here's the page for it.

For cars from 1995 and newer. It's a little device that plugs into your on board diagnostic doohicky (yeah that's the technical girlie term ) and monitors when you drive, how much you drive and how often you fast break.

Right now I drive about 4500 miles per year - which in State Farm land would qualify me for the low driving (usually senior) discount. But I'm not with State Farm right now.

Anyway, they send you the thing to plug in. You drive with it for 30 days. It monitors your driving and you can check on it daily. After 30 days it applies a discount - up to 30%. Then after having it for 6 months total you send it back and they calculate your permanent discount.

Loving the idea but I am starting to think its not available in the UK which is why I have not heard of it?
Magically Delicious

#5New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 03:09:20
@Sparklegirl Said

Loving the idea but I am starting to think its not available in the UK which is why I have not heard of it?

As far as I know, in the US Progressive is the only company that offers it. But you might want to check with your insurance company if they have a low mileage driver discount.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 07:54:09
@LuckyCharms Said

As far as I know, in the US Progressive is the only company that offers it. But you might want to check with your insurance company if they have a low mileage driver discount.

I called them as they had me down as 10,000 miles a year and I do 9,000 less than that so asked them to recalculate my account. Imagine my shock when they told me that would increase what I pay?!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 16:17:44
I just switched to Progressive and expect to be getting it any time now..
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 16:22:35
@Sparklegirl Said

I know Admiral do it, I was looking into how much my insurance would be this year and they have a scheme, not sure if others do it.

However, it didn't seem to lower my insurance!
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 17:24:33
@Silver_Lining Said

I know Admiral do it, I was looking into how much my insurance would be this year and they have a scheme, not sure if others do it.

However, it didn't seem to lower my insurance!

This was when I renewed it, astounded I was!
RIP Boobie

#10New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 17:26:50
@Sparklegirl Said

This was when I renewed it, astounded I was!

Insurance prices are disgusting anyway, I'm having a problem looking on some comparison sites as they don't recognise that I have 3 years ncb because I haven't had my license that long.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 17:28:13
@Silver_Lining Said

Insurance prices are disgusting anyway, I'm having a problem looking on some comparison sites as they don't recognise that I have 3 years ncb because I haven't had my license that long.

Did you have some years ncb on a parents policy which is how you accrued it before you got your license? Fools I tell you, most of them!
RIP Boobie

#12New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 17:30:34
@Sparklegirl Said

Did you have some years ncb on a parents policy which is how you accrued it before you got your license? Fools I tell you, most of them!

No, I bought my car before I passed and was insured on it then.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 19:40:33
@Silver_Lining Said

No, I bought my car before I passed and was insured on it then.

Well thats more simple than my first thought, how can they have a problem with that?!
RIP Boobie

#14New Post! Apr 14, 2013 @ 19:53:57
@Sparklegirl Said

Well thats more simple than my first thought, how can they have a problem with that?!

No idea, it's the way they've set up the systems I suppose.
Magically Delicious

#15New Post! Apr 15, 2013 @ 20:33:51
@jonnythan Said

I just switched to Progressive and expect to be getting it any time now..

The more I read about it, I think it sounds like a good idea for me. If I could knock up to a third off my insurance bill, that'd rock.

I'd like to hear about your experiences with it when you get it, if you don't mind sharing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs