Privilege article.. A must read.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...17 18 19 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Jan 28, 2014 @ 13:02:56
Enjoyed this. If people can read this with an open mind it might be very educational on helping in understanding race relations.
https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/27/there-problem-discerning-racism-white-privilege-southwest-airlines-flight-30000-feet
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#2New Post! Jan 28, 2014 @ 15:21:47
Read it.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#3New Post! Jan 28, 2014 @ 17:29:00
Another bunch of bulls***. ...........................................
Getting tired of looking at latest/newest posts from certain members carrying negative images about my own race. Shino, as you have so often often posted, there is a lot more involved than what is being simply said. There is the matter of the speaker/writer/poster being responsible for the 'impact' of what of what they say/write/post, the impact on others. When you address the issue of the D.C. football team that carry the name of Redskins, that 'seems to be' the message that is posted or given. When you compare this particular thread/ topic with the Zimmerman issue, you are in essence displaying tactics of reverse racism [or reverse MAJORITYism]. By always putting it out there--but always, always, always doing what you do/saying what you say or post------ it's generally ALWAYS about how others have/ do/ will malign 'your' people, and their self-image. By default, if not out and out, you could be/may be negatively impacting the future generations of 'white' people, or any other majority group of people that 'your' people encounter, who happen to block the agenda of you and 'your' people. ************************************************
Agitating, pot-stirring, and preaching to the choir maybe is NOT the best way to achieve that which is on your agenda, that which is your passion. Your passion and viewpoints are well-known and respected, but constant flooding of information reference a specific topic can create adverse reactions. Like poking a sleeping dog, and then crying foul because you got bitten, and dogs should be trained to not bite. Even the calmest humans, or the best-trained dogs-- after the millionth 'poke' or being subjected to never-ending taunting or flaming --- will respond in unexpected ways. Or maybe, will respond in ways that were strategically planned for... as the taunters wait to cry 'foul' all the while executing their next planned move.

It's all about opinions. Or that which one chooses to post as their thoughts and opinions at the moment. Not personal on my part at all, nor is anything being taken personally. Just presenting another opinion, or possible perspective.

Any of your many valid points equally pertain to any groups of persons who are a majority, which to me means maybe it's not really about 'white' privilege, than it is about 'majority' privilege.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Jan 28, 2014 @ 17:38:34
went back and read first post.
Shino, surely you're asking/hoping for the impossible: 'open' minds.

Maybe the term should be changed to 'majority-relations' rather
than 'race-relations', and 'majority' privilege, rather than (gasp)
'white' privilege.

@shinobinoz Said

Enjoyed this. If people can read this with an open mind it might be very educational on helping in understanding race relations.
https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/27/there-problem-discerning-racism-white-privilege-southwest-airlines-flight-30000-feet
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 00:02:51
@DuLu Said

went back and read first post.
Shino, surely you're asking/hoping for the impossible: 'open' minds.

Maybe the term should be changed to 'majority-relations' rather
than 'race-relations', and 'majority' privilege, rather than (gasp)
'white' privilege.

I've stated that a number of times. Majority privilege is a fact. In the usa white-privilege is fact. It is getting better. Instead of shooting messengers let's discuss the incident & break it down. Done with an open mind we will have to put ourselves in some uncomfortable shoes.
RightWingWhacko On July 29, 2014

Banned

Elizabethtown, Kentucky
#6New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 04:25:23
Not sure why he didn't just sit somewhere else. Sounds like he has a huge chip on his shoulder. I have had people do that to me to. I just looked for another seat. Yes it was rude for a husband and a wife to occupy the outboard seats and it is rude to say that they were saving the seat. People are rude, get over it.

Banned

#7New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 09:46:24
@RightWingWhacko Said

Not sure why he didn't just sit somewhere else. Sounds like he has a huge chip on his shoulder. I have had people do that to me to. I just looked for another seat. Yes it was rude for a husband and a wife to occupy the outboard seats and it is rude to say that they were saving the seat. People are rude, get over it.

I agree I have had it done as well. And I have also done it myself. Unless there are absolutely no seats, or its a fit woman, then no-one sits next to me. Either my jackets on my chair, I tell them someone is sitting there, etc.

Also I have had it done to me. Its just one of those things you get over. I don't go crying about it.

The guy needs to grow the f*** up. I like the bit where he threstens that guy. Maybe he shouldn't be so threatening. Also "I smelled the best I could". Why even bring that up, what does that actually mean. Is it an excuse for stinking?

Finally before anything is really said, we need to hear all sides of the story as this is biast and one sided. No-one likes admitting they are in the wrong and different people perceive different things in a different way.
Commander4th On May 31, 2021

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 11:08:49
Bottom line is the husband and wife put their stuff on the middle seat because they didn't want anybody sitting next to them on the flight, not because they didn't want black people sitting next to them.

The fact that a black guy has seen the bags and stuff on the seat and has tried to make something racial out of it is kinda pathetic, the couple are guilty of being rude or ignorant at most for not letting other passengers use the seat, but not racist.

I love the fact this guy has written an exaggerated story regarding a sensitive issue like racism yet finds no shame in using the story to publicise his new book

Banned

#9New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 11:22:17
@Commander4th Said

Bottom line is the husband and wife put their stuff on the middle seat because they didn't want anybody sitting next to them on the flight, not because they didn't want black people sitting next to them.

The fact that a black guy has seen the bags and stuff on the seat and has tried to make something racial out of it is kinda pathetic, the couple are guilty of being rude or ignorant at most for not letting other passengers use the seat, but not racist.

I love the fact this guy has written an exaggerated story regarding a sensitive issue like racism yet finds no shame in using the story to publicise his new book

I like the way he mentions how he stays up all night with his son normally. This has no relevance to the story. It is just there for a bit of compassion so we feel sympathy for him and hopefully take his side.

Then he seems annoyed he didn't get a free flight or something, just a letter of apology. Makes me wonder if that was the idea all along. And now the airline arnt playing his little game he is trying to shame them.

If you have a problem with someone like this, you escalate it.

Banned

#10New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 11:29:12
The funny thing is, when this situation happens to me, I cant run around screaming racism, I just have to get on with my life. So who really has the privilege.

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 11:40:05
@Hypnotica Said

I like the way he mentions how he stays up all night with his son normally. This has no relevance to the story. It is just there for a bit of compassion so we feel sympathy for him and hopefully take his side.

Then he seems annoyed he didn't get a free flight or something, just a letter of apology. Makes me wonder if that was the idea all along. And now the airline arnt playing his little game he is trying to shame them.

If you have a problem with someone like this, you escalate it.

Agree.
If he'd have been white we wouldn't have heard a thing about it.
The couple put their stuff on the seat and everybody else simply sat elsewhere, it happens all the time a lot of people do it.
Black guy decides he wants to sit in that particular seat, and then he turns it into a huge racial issue, look at me, black guy being kept down!

And then people like Shino and those who published this pathetic story jump on the bandwagon and stir the race pot even more

Like I said, it sounds more like a over exaggerated story to publicise his book, which he did before he even told the story.

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 11:47:58
@Hypnotica Said

The funny thing is, when this situation happens to me, I cant run around screaming racism, I just have to get on with my life. So who really has the privilege.

Exactly.

Some people just use their skin colour as an excuse when life doesn't automatically give them what they want, in their minds there cant be any other reason life dealt them a s*** hand then because of their skin colour.

And they're more then happy to tell everybody about it.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 12:25:28
Commander & Hypnotica. You both didn't get it. At all. Which I expected.

#1 He's First Nation's not black. Where the two of you came up with that one just shows you skimmed & sputtered & did not closely read. READ.

#2 Neither of you understand First Nations humor. He had me rolling with the book promotion "Buy it today!!!", 30,000 feet because it sounds 70's movie cool.

#3 Sure it's done all of the time. BUT, you don't expect the couple to grab the last "white woman" to pass by if if there is someone already waiting for that seat. It's more than rude- it's racial bias.

#4 The Captain did not care to hear the story. We all understand that he has control of the plane for everyone's safety. But he directly singles out the person of color & never addresses the white couple. The whole thing with privilege is in it's power.

#5 You guys did exactly the privilege thing right here as you gave the couple a TOTAL PASS as normal & only find fault with this guy. I've been reading his articles for several years. He is totally kewl. He has a law background.

#6 In his words- I doubt you got that far:
"That’s privilege.

The white couple didn’t have to think of any of that. They didn’t have to think about appearing TOO big or TOO brown or TOO Native or anything other than simply enjoying their flight. They did NOT have to consider any ultimatums—“Respond honestly to this guy’s questions OR and you will NOT make your important meeting.”

Look, I’m not special. This s*** happens everyday. Most of us are bullied into not saying anything, like I was by the Captain. That’s the privilege. “Answer the question honestly—“is there a problem”—but if you answer honestly, you won’t make your flight or you might be detained.” That’s privilege.
Unfortunately, my example is an EXTREMELY mild version of that privilege; I’m quite lucky that all I had to do was swallow my pride. It doesn’t even compare to other times where brown men and women are “presumed guilty” which leads to brothers and sisters and mothers and aunts beat down, pepper sprayed, thrown in jail, for choosing to answer that question honestly instead of swallowing their tongue. I know of stories where cops literally got into men’s face—cheek to cheek, daring them to fight—trying to con them into responding. We know EXACTLY what would happen if that big man of color gave that response that he wanted."
Read more at https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/27/there-problem-discerning-racism-white-privilege-southwest-airlines-flight-30000-feet

Banned

Elizabethtown, Kentucky
#14New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:16:43
@Hypnotica Said

I agree I have had it done as well. And I have also done it myself. Unless there are absolutely no seats, or its a fit woman, then no-one sits next to me. Either my jackets on my chair, I tell them someone is sitting there, etc.

Also I have had it done to me. Its just one of those things you get over. I don't go crying about it.

The guy needs to grow the f*** up. I like the bit where he threstens that guy. Maybe he shouldn't be so threatening. Also "I smelled the best I could". Why even bring that up, what does that actually mean. Is it an excuse for stinking?

Finally before anything is really said, we need to hear all sides of the story as this is biast and one sided. No-one likes admitting they are in the wrong and different people perceive different things in a different way.

I'm with ya. I am a smart alec, it is in my blood. But even I don't wanna sit next to someone who does not want to sit with me. If he really wanted to sit in that particular seat he should have walked over and spoke with one of the flight attendants. They would have made sure that this did not happen.

Banned

Elizabethtown, Kentucky
#15New Post! Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:20:43
Okay I have to ask. How big was the guy?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...17 18 19 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs