chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#62New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 04:31:16
@Cpat92 Said

Are you still carrying on?

Do not read it!

It will destroy your faith.

Anyone who tells you to read it is a liar... they are evil... if they have read it they do not know it...

YOU CAN ONLY KNOW THE BIBLE BY NOT READING IT

As a good Christian, whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE BIBLE FROM START TO FINISH... as on that day you will surely go to hell!

If someone tells you to read all of it, as a good Christian you should make up excuses to NOT read all of it.

Do Not Read All of the Bible!
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#63New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 13:51:37
@mrmhead Said

That's been my problem all along - rectifying my observations with the descriptions in a book. They don't jive.

That brings this to mind, when Jesus said ---

John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

Regards
DL
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#64New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 15:07:27
@GreatestIam2 Said

>>> This line is a perfect illustration of why "you" cannot understand the bible by just reading select passages.

The line is taken out of the context of the context of the lines before and after, the "chapter", and the book of John...and even the entire bible (at least in terms of the prophesies.

Another translation has it, "If I alone bear witness about myself, my testimony is not true."

So with this second translation, especially when we add the rest of the passage, is seems more clear that he is saying (essentially) if I was the only one claiming that I am the son of god, then it would be clear that I am a fraud. However, another (John the Baptist) has been sent to testify that I am the son of god..." etc... etc...

This sort of thing happens all the time both for and against the bible, both for and against christians.

It is one of the many examples of why one cannot and should not just study select passages of the bible to read. When one does this, it is too easy to misunderstand what the bible is saying. One must read it all from front to back, or one runs the risk of misunderstanding it.

>>> The other thing is demonstrates is the problem with all the different variations; all the different translations of the bible. Everyone who translates it, puts his/her own spin on it.

So now we see why it is even more important to read all of the bible front to back. And then study it. If you read it front to back and then study it, it is more likely that the confusing or contradictory parts stand out... then "you" study it more, make comparisons between various versions/translations and you start to understand what it is all about. You start to see where the "real" message is, and where someone has tried to manipulate the translation.

However, if you just read select passages and select chapters (out of order and out of context), you never get the full picture and are easily confused and easily lead astray.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#65New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 15:21:37
@GreatestIam2 Said

That brings this to mind, when Jesus said ---

Regards
DL

@chaski Said

So with this second translation, especially when we add the rest of the passage, is seems more clear that he is saying (essentially) if I was the only one claiming that I am the son of god, then it would be clear that I am a fraud. However, another (John the Baptist) has been sent to testify that I am the son of god..." etc... etc...

So taking these two pieces - (or more of the context) He is basically saying "Don't just take my word for it, just because I say so"

... which

... kinda

... conflicts with:

"The Bible is true because the Bible says so"

I'm so proud of myself for putting those two together (trying to spin this back on topic)
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#66New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 15:36:24
@mrmhead Said

So taking these two pieces - (or more of the context) He is basically saying "Don't just take my word for it, just because I say so"

... which

... kinda

... conflicts with:

"The Bible is true because the Bible says so"

I'm so proud of myself for putting those two together (trying to spin this back on topic)

And proud you should be.

The bible repeatedly warns about false prophets and false teachers... and (more or less) not taking stuff at face value... etc...

It has been said of the bible, that you can use it to support just about anything. This is absolutely true, especially if "you" are cherry picking the parts that "you" like or don't like... or are just reading small portions of it and convincing
"yourself" that you are understanding "it".

Side note/question: Did you ever watch "Twin Peaks"? It was on for three season.. very nuanced and complicated story line that was difficult to follow. Now imagine watching it now, but not from 1st episode to last, but rather randomly and out of order, and sometimes watching only part of an episode, and missing other episodes completely... there would be no possible way to understand the story line.

NE, Ohio
#67New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 15:39:31
@chaski Said

Side note/question: Did you ever watch "Twin Peaks"? It was on for three season.. very nuanced and complicated story line that was difficult to follow. Now imagine watching it now, but not from 1st episode to last, but rather randomly and out of order, and sometimes watching only part of an episode, and missing other episodes completely... there would be no possible way to understand the story line.

In the re-runs and on DVD, the Log Lady introductions help us understand the chapters ... maybe .. kind of.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#68New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 15:44:44
@mrmhead Said

In the re-runs and on DVD, the Log Lady introductions help us understand the chapters ... maybe .. kind of.

Yes... but now imagine that whoever put together the introductions either had an agenda to push forward, and english was not their primary language... so they are trying to "guide" your viewing of it show to suit their agenda... and they tell you to only watch select episodes, not watch other episodes, only watch portions of some episodes...

GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#69New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 17:03:12
@chaski Said

>>> This line is a perfect illustration of why "you" cannot understand the bible by just reading select passages.

The line is taken out of the context of the context of the lines before and after, the "chapter", and the book of John...and even the entire bible (at least in terms of the prophesies.

Another translation has it, "If I alone bear witness about myself, my testimony is not true."

This sort of thing happens all the time both for and against the bible, both for and against christians.

It is one of the many examples of why one cannot and should not just study select passages of the bible to read. When one does this, it is too easy to misunderstand what the bible is saying. One must read it all from front to back, or one runs the risk of misunderstanding it.

>>> The other thing is demonstrates is the problem with all the different variations; all the different translations of the bible. Everyone who translates it, puts his/her own spin on it.

So now we see why it is even more important to read all of the bible front to back. And then study it. If you read it front to back and then study it, it is more likely that the confusing or contradictory parts stand out... then "you" study it more, make comparisons between various versions/translations and you start to understand what it is all about. You start to see where the "real" message is, and where someone has tried to manipulate the translation.

However, if you just read select passages and select chapters (out of order and out of context), you never get the full picture and are easily confused and easily lead astray.

We have no argument and you are mostly correct.

What I do is try to see if my interlocutor is intelligent enough to try to deal with me the way you did.

Most are not and thus not worth my time if I get shut them up with a quote that they do not understand and will not take the time to analyze.

Kind of sneaky but I do not suffer fools well and try to weed them out early.

I usually use that quote along with this one.

John 8;14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true:

just to -----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowqPTLAtAk

in the minds of lazy low I.Q. Christians.

I have to have a little but of fun or I would get bored and stop fighting evil.

Regards
DL
Darkman666 On about 10 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#70New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 18:14:41
speaking of " twin peaks ", back in the 90's, it was loosely with the movie," blue velvet " , which explain the music and the style of weird settings of the show's style, and the odd characters of the show. the creator of the show loosely satire of the " 90's northern exposure ". both tv shows in the own way was odd enough to a huge hit in their own way.

the timing of twin peaks on Wednesdays and northern exposure on Mondays on the same week. northern exposure won the audience, and destroyed any changes that twin peaks from being cancelled in one season run.

the original twin peaks probably was one of the hardest tv show to follow ever. it was different because it's style was so unique and many ways that tv never had a show like. during the murder investigation, it's slow become an very odd " the twilight zone " episode. so the finale of series finale, the last scene in the show, you are looking at it, and you said to yourself, " what's the hell was that? "

so with the sequel of twin peaks, the last two seasons, it explain what the happen to fbi agent in the original twin peaks, but you don't care who killed laurie palmer. at this time, a handful of the original cast are dead.

the sequel never really ever explain the original mysteries. it just add more mysteries. but the show was fun to watch anyway.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#71New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 18:49:32
@mrmhead Said

(sorry for sidetrack)
Re: Reading the bible
I had trouble with the ...? cadence/ language / accent? - of the bible I had

But I was even more suspicious of any of the translations to "modern English"

So I never had the urge to read it all. I think I read all of Genesis, all of Revelation, and probably the gospels - at least the parts I was told to

Any particular versions better than others?

I saw the movie. They say the book was better.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#72New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 19:58:06
@Erimitus Said

I saw the movie. They say the book was better.

The movie was much better.

NE, Ohio
#73New Post! Jun 07, 2019 @ 20:07:30
@chaski Said

I love the Moses scene:

"I bring you the 15 ..." > crash < "... the 10 Commandments!"
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#74New Post! Jun 08, 2019 @ 11:05:44
@chaski Said

chuckle
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#75New Post! Jun 08, 2019 @ 17:44:33
@chaski Said

When is pride not a sin?

Answer:

From a Christian perspective, it is not a sin when your "pride" is actually a praise of god. When "you" are proud not because "you" think that "you" are so great, but rather you are proud of the fact that you accomplished something because god helped you... god guided you... god gave you the thing that you like. The "pride" is actually for god, not yourself. So in reality, it isn't really "pride". It is gratitude, thankfulness, appreciation, praise, etc. towards god.

Example:
Like when President Trump says, I am the greatest president ever!

When Trump says it that way his pride is actually for god not himself... it is thankfulness that god made him such a great and wondrous president; the best EVER.

See?

I've heard that too and it really sets up pins for a Totalitarian Dictatorship to easily bowl over.

But I also know a 'bad' kind of Pride that perhaps, in purest form, old idealists were attempting to bring attention too (see below)

@gakINGKONG Said

All:

Hello.

When is pride not a sin?

Is the song “Proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free”— is that a God-honoring way to show patriotism for your country (US)?

Dignity v value v happiness v ego

Pride goes sour when it gratifies the ego so much that the ego will force blind ignorance on an individual when an idea of theirs is challenged by a greater understanding

This is probably best demonstrated through those of a Lawful-Evil alignment such as Inquisitors who burnt early scientists at the stake.
The Inquisitors believed they were right in doing so and saving the world from sorcery; their delight in that feeling of power and false righteousness; a drug for which stopping to hear out others or question themselves in the wrong much too sobering to consider.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs