#16New Post! Jun 05, 2019 @ 19:00:11
@GreatestIam2 Said

Are there no exceptions to your view?

Is it a sin to love too much?
Charity perhaps, altruism, empathy?

Regards
DL

It depends on who it affects and how.

If my charity consists of giving away all my money to the "Save the hedgehog fund" and spend all my time travelling the world saving hedgehogs, while my wife is at home with no money to get medical attention for her chronic illness (hypothetical of course), would that not be a sin?

Too much pride in oneself can lead to actions detrimental to others.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#17New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 01:22:53
@GreatestIam2 Said

Why? Who does it hurt, and what if it is earned?

By that I offer this example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqeC3BPYTmE

Regards
DL

You may have to repost the link so it may be better viewed.

Having too much pride can be quite dangerous. It may possibly hurt yourself, as well as those around you.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#18New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 01:30:02
@GreatestIam2 Said

Why? Who does it hurt, and what if it is earned?

It's a Christian thing, you wouldn't understand.

To be fair, it might be a Muslim thing also... and maybe a Buddhist thing as well.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#19New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 01:31:18
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#20New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 02:38:08
@chaski Said

To be fair, it might be a Muslim thing also... and maybe a Buddhist thing as well.

Generally, it can be a life thing too.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#21New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 04:57:59
@Cpat92 Said

Generally, it can be a life thing too.

Hmmm... wasn't is a week ago, or less, that you told other christians that their god was the same as the god of the Muslim?

And weren't you were seriously and repeatedly rebuked?

And in such a very short time your defense of "christianity" has risen to such great heights.

You are long over due for a study (a serious study) of both your "faith" (its history) and as well comparative theology.

But that is just my ignorant and biased opinion.

Do as you will... or won't.

It is your choice.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#22New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 06:21:43
@chaski Said

Hmmm... wasn't is a week ago, or less, that you told other christians that their god was the same as the god of the Muslim?

And weren't you were seriously and repeatedly rebuked?

And in such a very short time your defense of "christianity" has risen to such great heights.

You are long over due for a study (a serious study) of both your "faith" (its history) and as well comparative theology.

But that is just my ignorant and biased opinion.

Do as you will... or won't.

It is your choice.

Studying can only do so much. That seems to be part of the basis of your argument with me. The importance is not solely in what you study, but what we put into practice. I can sit there and take your advice on studying the Bible. If you’d paid attention to what I was saying with me angering the Conservative Christians, that wasn’t based off of beliefs, or knowledge, but I do admit such a claim can bring in an interesting discussion as long as people can come and debate logically without seeking out only the negatives and bashing certain religions. Something they did as well.

Feel how you choose to feel.

As to the relevant topic: I stand by what I say. Having too much pride can be dangerous. Not solely as a religious standpoint, but also in life.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#23New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 12:16:29
@Erimitus Said

Pride has two antithetical meanings.

When used in reference to an inflated sense of status or accomplishment it has a negative connotation.

When used in reference to a feeling of satisfaction about one's choices or accomplishments it has a passive connotation.

Personally, I use the term hubris when referring to excessive pride so as to avoid confusion.

All of the deadly sins are excessive normal behavior.

Which in and of itself does not crate a victim.

Is creating a victim or someone hurt by something not a part of your description of sin and crime?

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#24New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 12:21:20
@mrmhead Said

It depends on who it affects and how.

If my charity consists of giving away all my money to the "Save the hedgehog fund" and spend all my time travelling the world saving hedgehogs, while my wife is at home with no money to get medical attention for her chronic illness (hypothetical of course), would that not be a sin?

Too much pride in oneself can lead to actions detrimental to others.

I see the sin above as neglect for a love one or misdirected love which is causing the harm. Not pride, although it could be a factor that led to the neglect.

If neglect of loved ones to the point of harm is a sin, then you condemn god himself to hell for his murder of A & E by neglect when he locked away the tree of life that would keep them alive.

That god is one prick of a father. No?

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#25New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 12:25:53
@Cpat92 Said

You may have to repost the link so it may be better viewed.

Having too much pride can be quite dangerous. It may possibly hurt yourself, as well as those around you.

The link works fine for me and I can do nothing for your end.

That is quite the statement but you do not show the harm. You offer half an argument that can only gain you just another vague reply.

That was not the issue of the pride being earned. You deflected as I don't think you liked your own honest answer.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#26New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 12:29:41
@chaski Said

I will ignore the Buddhists and say that you are correct on Christianity and Islam as humble is what they want us to think they are, out of pride and one-upmanship.

I am so proud of being humble. Believe me or I will humbly use inquisitions and jihads on you.

Yep. got to love humble, --- or else.

Regards
DL
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#27New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 12:54:57
@GreatestIam2 Said

That god is one prick of a father. No?

Regards
DL

That's been my problem all along - rectifying my observations with the descriptions in a book. They don't jive.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#28New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 14:47:46
@Cpat92 Said

Studying can only do so much. That seems to be part of the basis of your argument with me. The importance is not solely in what you study,

If you don't read the bible and study it, you cannot truly know what it says, but rather can only "know" what people tell you it says. They might be right. HOWEVER, if they are wrong your beliefs are incorrect.

If your beliefs are incorrect then you run the risk of incorrect actions., as what you "put into practice" is based on flawed information.

All because you failed to read, study and learn for yourself.

@Cpat92 Said

If you’d paid attention to what I was saying with me angering the Conservative Christians, that wasn’t based off of beliefs, or knowledge,

Yes it was based on on both beliefs and knowledge: You believe that that the Abrahamic religions have the same god, and that belief is based on your knowledge of the topic... and turns about to be correct.

Again, (repeating for emphasis) I did pay attention to what you said. It was a fact, and was based on knowledge... your knowledge of god and the religions involve.

HOWEVER, you somehow don't understand that by providing facts to these "Conservative Christians" you were essentially challenging their beliefs. You were (intentionally or unintentionally) finding fault with their beliefs. They felt like you were bashing their religion.

You have complained that I do this (find fault with people's faith), but it is exactly what you did.

Again, based on your description, you provided a fact to these people, they felt that you were attacking their religion/faith and took offense.

You can pretend that there is a difference, but there isn't. You just don't want to admit that you have done exactly what you complain that I do.

@Cpat92 Said

As to the relevant topic: I stand by what I say. Having too much pride can be dangerous. Not solely as a religious standpoint, but also in life.

I have not challenged you on that opinion.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#29New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 14:55:31
@GreatestIam2 Said

I will ignore the Buddhists...

Yes... the Buddhist reason for not liking pride is different. It is more about letting go of the negative things that cause suffering....

(Way over simplified that. )
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#30New Post! Jun 06, 2019 @ 15:44:24
@chaski Said

If you don't read the bible and study it, you cannot truly know what it says, but rather can only "know" what people tell you it says. They might be right. HOWEVER, if they are wrong your beliefs are incorrect.

If your beliefs are incorrect then you run the risk of incorrect actions., as what you "put into practice" is based on flawed information.

All because you failed to read, study and learn for yourself.

Yes it was based on on both beliefs and knowledge: You believe that that the Abrahamic religions have the same god, and that belief is based on your knowledge of the topic... and turns about to be correct.

Again, (repeating for emphasis) I did pay attention to what you said. It was a fact, and was based on knowledge... your knowledge of god and the religions involve.

HOWEVER, you somehow don't understand that by providing facts to these "Conservative Christians" you were essentially challenging their beliefs. You were (intentionally or unintentionally) finding fault with their beliefs. They felt like you were bashing their religion.

You have complained that I do this (find fault with people's faith), but it is exactly what you did.

Again, based on your description, you provided a fact to these people, they felt that you were attacking their religion/faith and took offense.

You can pretend that there is a difference, but there isn't. You just don't want to admit that you have done exactly what you complain that I do.

I have not challenged you on that opinion.

Apparently you did not pay attention since you continue use for your own justification of my incorrectness.

I haven’t failed read/study the Bible as it is something I do daily. On top of that I take what I learn and I put it into practice everyday. There is nothing for me to admit.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs