Politics

Presumed consent on organ donors

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#1New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 00:46:52
The British government is proposing a system called "presumed consent" where they take the organs of ALL dead patients unless they specify otherwise. Sounds like a good idea?
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#2New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 00:49:49
Wouldn't they know already if the patient was an organ donor or not on the organ donor system? Or is it different over there?
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 00:53:20
Anywho unless the patient specifically objects to it then I think its a great idea.

What really annoys me is when patients have indicated that they do wish to donate their organs and then when passed they're families have the final say and can choose not to have the organs donated, even though thats what the patient wanted.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#4New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 00:53:25
@garfunkel Said
Wouldn't they know already if the patient was an organ donor or not on the organ donor system? Or is it different over there?

yeah they would.
we currently have a opt in system
but we have a shortage of organs.

and the government believe that if they make the system an opt out system instead of an opt in, they will get more organs.

spain changed from an opt in too and opt out, and apparently they have more than three times the amount of organs that we have per million patients.

antrim, Ireland
#5New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 00:54:00
@garfunkel Said
Anywho unless the patient specifically objects to it then I think its a great idea.

What really annoys me is when patients have indicated that they do wish to donate their organs and then when passed they're families have the final say and can choose not to have the organs donated, even though thats what the patient wanted.

that always did seem a bit daft to me.
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#6New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 00:54:10
@mark_is_god Said
yeah they would.
we currently have a opt in system
but we have a shortage of organs.

and the government believe that if they make the system an opt out system instead of an opt in, they will get more organs.

spain changed from an opt in too and opt out, and apparently they have more than three times the amount of organs that we have per million patients.

oh ok. Thanks for that
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#7New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:20:54
I think it's a great idea. Too many people are waiting for organs and so many people aren't donors only because they never thought of it.
matterdaddy84 On October 12, 2009

bowling green, Kentucky
#8New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:29:29
IMO this is a horrible idea. Part of the reason some people that I know who wont donate their organs is because they don't want their body cut apart. It sounds weird, but that is what they say.

It takes the choice of donation away. Of course the organs can be put back in, but what kind of an a*****e would do that. Also, how would you know that all of the persons organs were put back in, if you didn't want them donated?

I am all for organ donation. I plan to donate mine if I die young and healthy enough, but if I didn't want to donate them, I wouldn't want them taken out. It kind of kills the idea of donation to me.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#9New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:31:00
But if people cared so much, wouldn't they go out of their way to make sure they opted out? Really. If they dont' care enough to opt out, take their organs.

antrim, Ireland
#10New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:31:11
@matterdaddy84 Said
IMO this is a horrible idea. Part of the reason some people that I know who wont donate their organs is because they don't want their body cut apart. It sounds weird, but that is what they say.

It takes the choice of donation away. Of course the organs can be put back in, but what kind of an a*****e would do that. Also, how would you know that all of the persons organs were put back in, if you didn't want them donated?

I am all for organ donation. I plan to donate mine if I die young and healthy enough, but if I didn't want to donate them, I wouldn't want them taken out. It kind of kills the idea of donation to me.

it doesn't take the choice of donation away

you can choice not to donate.
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#11New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:32:32
@matterdaddy84 Said

People would still have the option to not donate their organs

bowling green, Kentucky
#12New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:51:18
@mark_is_god Said
it doesn't take the choice of donation away

you can choice not to donate.

Yes, but, how terrible of a person would it take to say, "I don't care who dies, put them back in"? To me, it seems like it takes away from the idea of donating.

I am not against organ donation, I want to donate everything that I can.
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#13New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:53:50
@matterdaddy84 Said
Yes, but, how terrible of a person would it take to say, "I don't care who dies, put them back in"? To me, it seems like it takes away from the idea of donating.

If they choose not to donate, their organs aren't taken out in the first place. Its no different to the other system instead it just encourages more people to donate imo

bowling green, Kentucky
#14New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:59:02
@garfunkel Said
If they choose not to donate, their organs aren't taken out in the first place. Its no different to the other system instead it just encourages more people to donate imo

OH, I thought that the organs were taken out before anyone was asked.

antrim, Ireland
#15New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 01:59:19
@matterdaddy84 Said

well the simple fact is, they can chose.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs