Politics

Power -Atomic, Wind, Solar?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#1New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 21:40:34
Which will provide us with the ckeanest ELECTRIC power? Sooner? most rliable?
Big_Chief On March 04, 2009

Deleted

Cardiff, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 21:47:06
@WASH Said

water power or tides because they are predictible
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#3New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 21:49:03
@WASH Said

I like the idea of solar. As long as the sun burns even when obscured by cloud it is available. Like wind produced electric power it requires storage capabilities that atomic and hydro power does not need.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#4New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 22:02:57
Atomic certainly has the most potential,

personally i'd like to see a move away from power plants in the future and encouragement for everyone to generate a certain amount of their own power through wind and solar.

Salmon Arm, Canada
#5New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 22:24:26
@alexkidd Said

Atomic certainly has the most potential,

personally i'd like to see a move away from power plants in the future and encouragement for everyone to generate a certain amount of their own power through wind and solar.

That would eliminate having to transmit the electricity over long distances and make power outages not quite as devastating as they can be in colder climates
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#6New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 23:13:12
@kentoo Said

That would eliminate having to transmit the electricity over long distances and make power outages not quite as devastating as they can be in colder climates

Exce;;ent idea. Now what power source would you suggest to use for a home power plant?
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 23:16:41
It wont be too long before we have fusion power.
Still in the experimental stages I'm led to believe.

Salmon Arm, Canada
#8New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 23:20:25
@WASH Said

Exce;;ent idea. Now what power source would you suggest to use for a home power plant?
In my area there is only one choice , that being solar power ... we do not get sufficient wind to run a wind generator. Personally I have a small gasoline powered generator for emergencies.
cailyn10289 On November 12, 2015
Scottish on Fridays

, United States (general)
#9New Post! Feb 09, 2009 @ 00:58:57
I have a really nice solar powered watch I vote for that one.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#10New Post! Feb 09, 2009 @ 06:14:22
Hydro is pretty good.

I also like the idea of a more decentralized system with a lot of solar on people's houses, businesses, etc.
hb23504 On April 25, 2009

#11New Post! Apr 25, 2009 @ 20:43:29
where can I buy low cost PV cells Iam a DIYer
MingLee On August 05, 2009

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#12New Post! Apr 26, 2009 @ 03:18:43
Any kind of organic material can become hydrocarbons for fuel. Seems to me that the cleanest form of fuel would be hydrocarbons made from industrial or agricultural waste. I know of at least three refineries that use waste to make fuel. One in Philadelphia converts automobile tires to fuel. One in Missouri converts turkey offal to fuel, and one here in California converts landfill trash to fuel.
friendlybear On March 10, 2010

Deleted

Nanaimo, Canada
#13New Post! Apr 26, 2009 @ 03:25:32
@MingLee Said

Any kind of organic material can become hydrocarbons for fuel. Seems to me that the cleanest form of fuel would be hydrocarbons made from industrial or agricultural waste. I know of at least three refineries that use waste to make fuel. One in Philadelphia converts automobile tires to fuel. One in Missouri converts turkey offal to fuel, and one here in California converts landfill trash to fuel.

I applaud your desire to recycle waste products into energy, but we need to get away from "burning" anything to create energy. The byproducts of fossil fuel combustion are already damaging the atmosphere enough.
MingLee On August 05, 2009

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#14New Post! Apr 26, 2009 @ 03:42:01
@friendlybear Said

I applaud your desire to recycle waste products into energy, but we need to get away from "burning" anything to create energy. The byproducts of fossil fuel combustion are already damaging the atmosphere enough.

Fuel made from agricultural waste can have zero or even negative pollution depending on the form of the fuel. Hydrocarbons contain carbon, so burning a hydrocarbon like gasoline, diesel fuel, or ethanol with oxygen would produce carbon dioxide; but because the carbon in the waste comes from the atmosphere, the net carbon into the atmosphere would be zero. If the fuel is the hydrogen in the agricultural waste, then the fuel would actually decrease the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere because the production of the waste removes the atmospheric carbon, and the burning of hydrogen does not generate atmospheric carbon.

edit: My best guess is that, in the future, electricity will come from fuel cells that get energy from the hydrogen in hydrocarbons, probably in a manner similar the the fuel cell that provided electricity at a recent Democratic National Convention.
friendlybear On March 10, 2010

Deleted

Nanaimo, Canada
#15New Post! Apr 26, 2009 @ 04:00:15
But that is not the case for tires and household garbage. Like I said before, we need to get away from releasing carbon dioxide and particulates into the atmosphere, it is damaging the planet. Without a doubt, agricultural wastes are better fuels than fossil fuels, but wind, water and solar energy are far and away less environmentally impacting.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs