4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
5. Miami , FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
10. Newark , NJ 24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007
What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)....since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)....since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still .................. POOR

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#2New Post! May 04, 2009 @ 22:43:55
@crankshaft Said

Interesting....Poverty in Our Cities.

City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
1. Detroit , MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo , NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
5. Miami , FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
10. Newark , NJ 24.2%

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still .................. POOR

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worked in the Chrysler plant in Detroit back in 1947and saw the way the union worked. It was a private corporation set up to make a profit. When TOLD to join the union, I said no and quit. Not before telling the shop steward that their life was limited.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#3New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 00:39:08
link

link

Jesus cranky you really are going downhill, are you that desperate too have a little tiff at democrats/liberals/obama, that you need to post a topic that hasn't just been posted by someone else, but has been posted by yourself as well?
crankshaft On May 10, 2009

Banned

#4New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 00:42:09
Interesting. I worked at international Harvester Farmall plant in Rock Island. They made me join the union too. Funny place to work. I ran a broach machine. after a few days, my boss said I was not making quota. If I couldn't he would have to get rid of me. so, I kicked her up a few notches. few days later the union steward stopped by and read me the riot act for making too many parts. He said they will lower the rate so no one can make any money on that machine if I didn't slow down. I lasted a few months.

Banned

#5New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 00:46:31
@mark_is_god Said

link

link

Jesus cranky you really are going downhill, are you that desperate too have a little tiff at democrats/liberals/obama, that you need to post a topic that hasn't just been posted by someone else, but has been posted by yourself as well?

Administrator, if your on line, don't charge Mark for reading that post since it's been posted before.
There Mark, ya don't have to pay again.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 00:48:33
https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/18/IN5C13H0J5.DTL

"Economy has fared better under Dem presidents"
Quote:

Most Americans have one eye on the nation's financial crises and the other on the presidential election. And they are asking themselves, "Is John McCain or Barack Obama, the Democrats or the Republicans, better for the economic health of the country as well as for my own financial well-being?" That is the defining question of this election.

MORE OPINION

Letters to the Editor: Board a waste of money 05.04.09
Opportunity for redemption 05.04.09
California unfriendly to rich candidates 05.04.09
A businessman who voted for George Bush twice, and Bill Clinton in '96, told me, "Barack Obama sounds really impressive, and I have to admit that the goals of his social programs - particularly health care, education and the environment - seem good. But I'm worried the Democrats can't manage the economy as well, and they'll get into my wallet."

This sentiment is not rare. In past elections, pollsters have found that many voters believe that the Republicans do better with the economy. But is it true?

Let's look at the record.

During the 20th century, the Dow Jones industrial average rose 7.3 percent per year on average under Republican presidents. Under Democrats, it rose 10.3 percent - which means that investors gained a whopping 41 percent more. And the stock market declined further during George Bush's two terms.

Moreover, according to research from Professor Larry Bartels of Princeton, real middle class wage growth is double when a Democrat is president, contrasted to that growth under a Republican president.

Since World War II, Democratic presidents have increased the national debt by an average of 3.7 percent per year, and Republican presidents have increased it an average of 10.1 percent. During the same time period, the unemployment rate was, on average, 4.8 percent under Democratic presidents; it was 6.3 percent under Republicans.

That's the historical record.

What about economic policies over the past 15 years? The Clinton-Gore administration presided over the longest peacetime economic expansion in our history. The national debt was reduced dramatically, the industrial sector boomed, wages grew and more Americans found jobs.

How has the Bush-Cheney team fared? In the past seven years, we have experienced the weakest job creation cycle since the Great Depression, record deficits, record household debt, a record bankruptcy rate and a substantial increase in poverty. We have gone from being the nation with the biggest budget surplus in history to becoming the nation with the largest deficit in history.

The Bush administration, supported by Republicans on Capitol Hill, pushed through a sweeping tax cut in 2001, under which the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans reaped 43 percent of the gain. In less than a year and a half, the federal government's 10-year projected budget surplus of $1.6 trillion had vanished. In 2000, we had a surplus of $236 billion. In 2004, we had a deficit of $413 billion. This dramatic reversal is the direct consequence of Bush's tax cuts - and McCain wants to pursue the same bankrupt policies.

Since the conventions, McCain and his surrogates have been pounding away at the Democrats, labeling them as the "tax and spend" party. Yet recent research has shown that more than 70 percent of our national debt was created by just three Republican presidents: Reagan and the two Bushes.

There's an old expression in Las Vegas, "Figures don't lie and liars figure."

antrim, Ireland
#7New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 00:52:02
good thing too, i should be payed to read this misinformation.

Banned

#8New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 00:58:44
@mark_is_god Said

good thing too, i should be payed to read this misinformation.

The check is in the mail. Always wanted to say that.

antrim, Ireland
#9New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 01:01:02
i would of preferred cash.

but money is money
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#10New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 03:07:17
Confusing Cause and Effect is a fallacy that has the following general form:

1. A and B regularly occur together.
2. Therefore A is the cause of B.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 03:45:06
I C what you mean!
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 04:02:33
Yes let's do apply anecdotal evidence to everything!
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#14New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 04:05:24
@fitzyp Said

Confusing Cause and Effect is a fallacy that has the following general form:

1. A and B regularly occur together.
2. Therefore A is the cause of B.

Exactly. For example, "I always see police officers near crime scenes, so the police must cause crime." Or, "I always see paramedics near people who are gravely ill, so paramedics must make people sick."
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#15New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 04:07:37
@crankshaft Said

Interesting....Poverty in Our Cities.

City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
1. Detroit , MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo , NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
5. Miami , FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
10. Newark , NJ 24.2%

Abraham Lincoln

Do you know why the amount living under the poverty rate is generally higher under a democrat? Because, democrats generally raise the poverty level.

It's like this. Clinton continually raised the poverty level to allow for more help to be available to those who were working, but still needed help. I don't know exactly how it works within local government, but I would assume it's pretty close to the same.

I also want to chime in that Mayor Micheal White of Cleveland may not have been perfect, but he did great things for Cleveland, he brought pride back into our city, which, in turn brought more jobs into the city. Just look at our basketball team, which wouldn't be where it is if Mayor White hadn't made it possible. He may not be in office anymore, but I think he is the reason we call ourselves "Believeland".

He got us the Rock Hall
Cleveland Browns Stadium
Allowed for the Gund Arena *now known as the Q*
Allowed for Jacobs' Field *now known as Progressive Field*
Brought back the glory of Tower City Mall

Many many things to make this city great.

He also got rid of the slime ball Art Model

Of course, I also feel that he was lacking quite a bit when it came to thing not involved in sports or entertainment, but he was trying to bring jobs and revenue to Cleveland to make it a place people want to visit.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs