AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...562 563 564 565 566 ...624 625 626 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8446New Post! Apr 29, 2019 @ 17:57:52
@Erimitus Said

bool?????

Chaski meant to write "book" but wrote "bool" and I was taking the opportunity to exploit his error for the sake of humor. Because kicking someone when he's down can be a fruitful endeavor for humor's sake.

Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#8447New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 00:56:19
@Eaglebauer Said

Chaski meant to write "book" but wrote "bool" and I was taking the opportunity to exploit his error for the sake of humor. Because kicking someone when he's down can be a fruitful endeavor for humor's sake.

indeed
chaski On about 8 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#8448New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 01:18:20
@Erimitus Said

bool?????

@Eaglebauer Said

Perhaps I was referring to a Boolean variable (one whose value is either true or false)... without even knowing it was what I was referring to.

glrecom On May 07, 2019

Fresno, California
#8449New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 02:01:19
People hate each other because they don't have the same things.
Stalker

#8450New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 04:48:22
@glrecom Said

People hate each other because they don't have the same things.

People hate each other because they choose ignorance, separation, greed over knowledge, patience & understanding.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8451New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 12:08:12
@chaski Said

Perhaps I was referring to a Boolean variable (one whose value is either true or false)... without even knowing it was what I was referring to.

Hm. Seems to me every variable is either true or false.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8452New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 12:08:51
@chaski Said

People hate each other because they choose ignorance, separation, greed over knowledge, patience & understanding.

I don't know that I'm ready to agree that hatred is always a choice.
Stalker

#8453New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 15:08:50
@Eaglebauer Said

I don't know that I'm ready to agree that hatred is always a choice.

It does seem like some hate is built into "our" DNA... still, I believe that we have choice in the matter.... though it can take considerable effort sometimes.

Reflecting on this idea, hatred as a choice or not, I think fear and self defense (and some other like adjectives & adverbs) are built into ourselves by millennia upon millennia of evolution, but "hate" is actually a learned behavior.... nature has given us reactions built upon survival, nurture takes those actions to the level of "hate"...

Example: We have a physical reaction to the sound of a rattlesnake's rattle... that is a "safety mechanism". But we choose to hate or not hate the snake. Also, we have a "natural" fear of other unknown people. That is a sort of territorial protection response (think a lion pride fearing the approaching new male lions). But we humans choose to take that to the level of "hating" those unknown people as our evil enemy (and sometimes rightfully so).

Of course I could be wrong... many would stop agreeing with me at the word "evolution".
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#8454New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 15:33:05
@chaski Said

Example: We have a physical reaction to the sound of a rattlesnake's rattle... that is a "safety mechanism". But we choose to hate or not hate the snake.

And proceed to give our babies rattles to play with!
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8455New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 15:45:38
@chaski Said

It does seem like some hate is built into "our" DNA... still, I believe that we have choice in the matter.... though it can take considerable effort sometimes.

Reflecting on this idea, hatred as a choice or not, I think fear and self defense (and some other like adjectives & adverbs) are built into ourselves by millennia upon millennia of evolution, but "hate" is actually a learned behavior.... nature has given us reactions built upon survival, nurture takes those actions to the level of "hate"...

Example: We have a physical reaction to the sound of a rattlesnake's rattle... that is a "safety mechanism". But we choose to hate or not hate the snake. Also, we have a "natural" fear of other unknown people. That is a sort of territorial protection response (think a lion pride fearing the approaching new male lions). But we humans choose to take that to the level of "hating" those unknown people as our evil enemy (and sometimes rightfully so).

Of course I could be wrong... many would stop agreeing with me at the word "evolution".

Learned behavior, yes, but is learned behavior necessarily voluntary? I'm not saying it is or isn't yet, I haven't really thought about it. Maybe it is.

I have felt what I believe to be hatred before and it was a feeling that inhabited me without conscious effort on my part (I think). And it was a very negative feeling that I didn't enjoy. And if I believed I could choose to feel it or not, I probably would have chosen not.

But again...I'm still kind of exploring this.
Darkman666 On about 17 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8456New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 15:50:48
@Eaglebauer Said

if I look like chaski in that picture, I would shoot my parents and turn jewish!
Stalker

#8457New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 16:09:30
@Eaglebauer Said

Learned behavior, yes, but is learned behavior necessarily voluntary?

Interesting.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#8458New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 18:40:03
@chaski Said

Interesting.

it is probably best not hate.

once learned it is automatic.

It is difficult to unlearn something.

I could see people hating someone who has more than they could possibly use while others starve in the street. maybe not.

I cannot think of anyone I hate.

I hate peas
and I am glad I hate peas
because if I liked peas I would eat them
and I hate peas.

Hate has not been defined yet.

I suppose if someone was giving me a hot lead enama I might dislike them fairly intensly.
Stalker

#8459New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 19:07:13
@Erimitus Said

it is probably best not hate.

once learned it is automatic.

It is difficult to unlearn something.

I could see people hating someone who has more than they could possibly use while others starve in the street. maybe not.

I cannot think of anyone I hate.

I hate peas
and I am glad I hate peas
because if I liked peas I would eat them
and I hate peas.

Hate has not been defined yet.

I suppose if someone was giving me a hot lead enama I might dislike them fairly intensly.

I don't think I hate anything.

I find coconut, especially shredded coconut on anything, to be disgusting... but I don't hate it and kind of wished I liked it... I've tried numerous times in my life... still find it disgusting.

I don't even hate Trump... don't like him enough to call it hate... its more like a combination of disdain and disgust... but not actually hate.

I expect that if I lived during WW 2, I would have hated the Nazis, but maybe not... hating someone gives them a degree of power.

A story: Once a Tibetan monk who had been imprisoned by the Chinese was released after many years of very poor treatment. When this monk met with the Dali Lama, the Dali Lama asked him what was the worst thing he has suffered while in captivity. The monk replied, "I feared that I would lose my compassion for the Chinese."

I don't think I am as "good" a man as the monk in this story. I just don't have the energy for hate.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8460New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 19:40:18
@chaski Said

I don't think I hate anything.

I find coconut, especially shredded coconut on anything, to be disgusting... but I don't hate it and kind of wished I liked it... I've tried numerous times in my life... still find it disgusting.

I don't even hate Trump... don't like him enough to call it hate... its more like a combination of disdain and disgust... but not actually hate.

I expect that if I lived during WW 2, I would have hated the Nazis, but maybe not... hating someone gives them a degree of power.

A story: Once a Tibetan monk who had been imprisoned by the Chinese was released after many years of very poor treatment. When this monk met with the Dali Lama, the Dali Lama asked him what was the worst thing he has suffered while in captivity. The monk replied, "I feared that I would lose my compassion for the Chinese."

I don't think I am as "good" a man as the monk in this story. I just don't have the energy for hate.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...562 563 564 565 566 ...624 625 626 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs