The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Post op depression- it's normal

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 15:32:03
I had major surgery a month ago and I'm still pretty nasty. It's starting to disturb me so I looked up post op depresion. Sure enough
there it is, this was a list to help. I just thought I'd post it for anybody who's gone through anything serious. There's a reason you're being b****y. Made me feel better.

This is for me to remember that feelings of sadness post-operatively are normal. I realize that this does not happen to all people but the few that it does happen to may include me. I know that I need to be patient and think positive as it promotes better healing and relaxation. I know that I need to wait out my healing period before I pass judgment and follow my surgeons instructions to increase my chances of a great result. I do know that stress and anxiety can only make matters worse and I will try my best to not let it affect me.
1. I will be:

sore

tired

irritable

unsure

possibly depressed

bloated

bored

anxious

restless

unable to sleep at times

2. During my recovery my face or treatment area may:

be asymmetrical

be crooked swollen

be swollen

be bruised

be tender to the touch

experience sharp pains or numbness

be firm or hard

break out with acne

experience irritation from the tape or anesthetic
I also realize that even the daily subtle changes or flaws that I may see in the mirror may not be visible to others as I am my own worst critic. I do realize once I heal my nasal changes can be seen with the help of before and after photos and if I do not like the end result after I am healed many months from now I can always approach my surgeon regarding my dissatisfaction.
I know must not take out my insecurities or anger on my significant other, family or friends but I sometimes cannot help it and need to vent my frustration or sadness. I know I need to keep my chin up and let my body and mind heal because surgery is invasive and can trigger many emotions. I know that I can always get support from my loved ones and friends, be they "in the flesh" or online.
I know this state of disarray and being unsure is only temporary. Today I will smile and remain patient because tomorrow will be another day and will bring me one day closer to being fully healed.

This last sentence is easier said than done, my hubby is ready to run away.
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#2New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 15:38:34
And that's the things they warn you about on your good days.
They don't dare tell you about the rough days.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 15:40:59
They never warn people about how they will feel after surgery psychologically.

I believe that if the body has undergone surgery, although pain receptors are blocked, the body knows it has been hurt. Therefore it comes out emotionally.
misunderstood On June 24, 2014
Persuasive Madam!

How about you come find me....
#4New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 16:44:31
@treebee Said

They never warn people about how they will feel after surgery psychologically.

I believe that if the body has undergone surgery, although pain receptors are blocked, the body knows it has been hurt. Therefore it comes out emotionally.

I was a miserable cow Cried for no reason more than once
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#5New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 19:51:45
Very true! And sometimes no one knows if you have gone through a surgery and just think that's how you are. Better to ask or say nothing before commenting on someones moods.

You never know, especially here, exactly what the person you're talking to is really going through.
myk1992 On August 01, 2011

Deleted

Tired out shack :), United Kin
#6New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 20:46:55
Hope things get better for you. Keep your chin up and keep thinking about how things are going to look up once this is over .
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#7New Post! May 20, 2009 @ 20:52:00
@myk1992 Said

Hope things get better for you. Keep your chin up and keep thinking about how things are going to look up once this is over .

I'm okay because my husband "gets it" and gives me support. The post was more to say, it takes time and the right support gets you through. After a certain ammount of time, you can get pretty touchy with the invasion and dignity issues. It passes so you can't feel bad about getting down.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#8New Post! Jun 03, 2009 @ 03:30:58
I had post op depression once. It was after some major surgery to my leg. People say it was because I had a general anesthetic (sp.?). I had 4 surgeries after this. I was in surgery for about an hour and a half each time, but I had an epidermal (sp.?). By this, I mean I was numbed from the waste down and operated on.

The time I ended up with post op depression, I could not stop crying. I am not sure if I was upset because the accident was so unexpected. I broke the femural neck of my hip. I was young for this type of break and terribly freaked out. Still, I think I was depressed by something that happened to me while I was been operated on. I felt like part of me changed during that surgery and it wasnt just the screws and plates they put into my hip.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#9New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 03:54:28
I had another surgery on May 5th. This time it was to fix a previous surgery and it was considered major surgery.

I came home today and am falling into the bit of post op depression. (Oh by the way where I come from, they tell you that every symptom you have is normal. It is a very dismissive way of treating people.)

I always try for just a spinal anesthetic in surgery but something went wrong with the spinal so I ended up with both a general and a spinal.

I am anticipating being messed up for a while but so far given the tremendous stress I have felt under, I am withstanding it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs