yes
no
maybe
View Results
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 08:30:32
Quote:
A Portland bakery is being accused of racism for selling an Oreo cupcake they named "Mr. President."
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports (https://is.gd/77FHwe ) that customers have been leaving Yelp reviews criticizing Fat Cupcake for its "Mr. President" pastry. The cupcake is described as an Oreo Cookie baked inside white cake with cookies n' cream buttercream.
Owner Anjelica Hayes says she is black, so the cupcake cannot be racist. She said they originally named the cupcake because it was so good they wanted it to hold public office. She later found out President Barack Obama's favorite cookie was the Oreo.
For now to avoid the controversy Hayes has renamed the cupcake "the Professional." She said the cupcake is still the most popular item at the store despite its name.

https://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CUPCAKE_RACISM?SITE=SCAND&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I don't see how the pastry it's self could be considered racist. Was the baker being racist naming the pastry "Mr. President"? I don't see how that could be considered racist either. If the baker had called the pastry 'President Obama ', with some imagination maybe the pastry could be considered racist.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 11:46:40
Some people try really hard to be offended.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 12:09:30
Quote:
Owner Anjelica Hayes says she is black, so the cupcake cannot be racist.

Well there's your answer, right? /sarcasm

Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 12:51:45
While I do take a little bit of an issue with that one comment, I think it's kind of ridiculous to claim it's a "racist pastry."

Shortsighted, maybe. I mean, a reasonable person might make the connection and consider the very likely possibility that most would make the race connection between an "oreo" pastry and a biracial person. But there is usually no accounting for stupidity.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:18:41
I read this article from a small town. I think this whole thing is waste of time of nonsense of a cupcake that is black and white.

especially , when there is no photo of this stupid cupcake. like it matter, it obviously that not big deal of news media, it would on shows on yahoo on front page.

small town people will make a big deal over a cookie. there is no photo of the cookie. prove it is stupid.

I see Obama order national guards come in destroying the bakery and shoot " mr. president " cookie, because it is a national threat.

I see a lot of racism that a black baker make this a black and white cookie look like or resemble Obama. who cares?

if the cookie is wearing a white pillow over it, and other black cookies wearing white pillow cases over their bodies.

by gosh, eat those bastards. this insult kkk cookies, in America. this article is completely stupid.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:35:10
@Eaglebauer Said

Well there's your answer, right? / sarcasm

I thought about making the Poll question something like ' Can a black baker be racist by naming a pastry made with ,,,,,?'

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:44:09
@twilitezone911 Said

I read this article from a small town. I think this whole thing is waste of time of nonsense of a cupcake that is black and white.

especially , when there is no photo of this stupid cupcake. like it matter, it obviously that not big deal of news media, it would on shows on yahoo on front page.

small town people will make a big deal over a cookie. there is no photo of the cookie. prove it is stupid.

I see Obama order national guards come in destroying the bakery and shoot " mr. president " cookie, because it is a national threat.

I see a lot of racism that a black baker make this a black and white cookie look like or resemble Obama. who cares?

if the cookie is wearing a white pillow over it, and other black cookies wearing white pillow cases over their bodies.

by gosh, eat those bastards. this insult kkk cookies, in America. this article is completely stupid.

Portland, Oregon isn't a small town by any stretch of the imagination.
It a pretty large city s a matter of fact.
The pastry isn't a cupcake.

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:47:29
@mrmhead Said

Some people try really hard to be offended.

I agree.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:53:54
Is the pastry racist. No, most likely not.

Unfortunate in the naming though, as in certain context Oreo is used as an insult to successful black people. Often from within the community, a sort of institutionalized internal racism. (Back on the outside, white on the inside.)

It could be up there with naming the watermelon and chicken meal after a black person. It's just hitting stereotypes. Probably best avoided, but not necessarily intentional. To be used as an insult, Oreo has to be in a certain context. I don't think it applies here, based on the story alone. Unless there are other issues that are not reported it's possible someone is looking for a reason to be offended.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:54:23
@white_swan53 Said

Portland, Oregon isn't a small town by any stretch of the imagination.
It a pretty large city s a matter of fact.

this article sound like it is from a small town, more from " mayberry, ohio " than a major big city.

the cookie or a cupcake can made out of oreo dough. it doesn't matter if a cookie or cupcake. it is a cupcake in the article.

I am sorry, mr. president cupcake. black dough lives!

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 14:16:19
When my kids were small we had a neighbor who is black, she would make my boys giggle by putting one on either side of her and saying they were a backwards Oreo cookie.
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#12New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 14:28:46
I believe if the Oreo pastry was white it would be considered racist. I can just hear them now "I can't eat that Oreo pastry. It's black!". Idiots, thoughts all I can say.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#13New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 14:30:42
It's all about context - more in what is perceived, rather then what is/was meant. It is/was common for mixed/bi-racial kids to refer to themselves as 'oreo', whites were known as vanilla, and blacks were known as chocolate. Not sure if these words are commonly used now.

What's the difference though (for example)- you pretty it up - and say in a demeaning fashion ---oreos are deplorables, or vanilla or chocolate is deplorable, you are indirectly 'stereotyping' one's race. If one wants to 'go' there, and take it that way. Jist sayin'

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 15:12:23
@twilitezone911 Said

@white_swan53 Said

my apologies , it is a cupcake ,

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Oct 12, 2016 @ 15:36:04
@white_swan53 Said

my apologies , it is a cupcake ,

mr. president will forgive you, don't buy white donuts. there too horny to be white, because they have horny ears and the fork of the road.

the fork of the road need to be here, to make a point. something to point that the cups and saucers make at the union meetings.

I don't about these Portland's laws and their cupcakes, beyond me.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs