Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
jeoin On November 12, 2004

#61New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 02:41:38
I like your points...Actually there's one I keep hoping you'll bring up
PLEASE BRING IT UP?
Quote:
Jesus was God in human form, so because of being human it was very bad. If God came down in all His divinity, then of course it wouldn't be so bad. But such wasn't the case. The point you hit on comes out of much of the confusion people have about the Trinity. God, Jesus, and the Spirit are inidividual entities but at the same time one.
DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MEN/WOMEN HAVE BEEN LYNCHED. HELL THE BLACK MAN SHOULD BE GOD, FOR WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM, EVEN ON THE STREETS OF OUR BEAUTIFUL TOWN. SO BEING GOD KINDA NEGATES IT TO ME, AND NOT ALL CHRISTIAN APPROACH THE TRINITY AS YOU DO CURRENTLY.
A CONTRATDICTION IS A PARADOX'S EXPLAINATION.

Quote:
HE IS THE CREATOR. HE CREATED DARKNESS, AND SATAN. HE IS ABOVE IT ALL. IT IS ALL HIS ART.
Actually I don't know if God created all the angels,
I BELIEVE THE BIBLE SAYS HE CREATED IT ALL...

Quote:
SO REALLY YOU HAVE NO CHOICE, ACCEPT AND YOUR OKAY, DENY AND YOUR ON FIRE...
, if you go to prison for murder, then you really have no choice but to not murder. So what's the problem with that? IF SOMEONE KILLS/RAPESS MY WIFE I WILL COMMIT MURDER. SAY YOUR ON IN THE OCEAN AND i AM ON A BOAT. IF I SEE YOU AND OFFER TO HELP YOU THATS IS NICE, BUT IF I SEE YOU AND SAY "TELL ME i AM GOD AND YOU CAN GET ON", THEN YOUR CHOICES BECOME MOOT.

Quote:
MAYBE THAT IS WHAT BUDDA DID, OR MOHAMMED OR GANDI, OR BOB
How is that relevant?
TO ME THIS IS RELEVENT BECAUSE YOU SAID THAT WE ALL HAVE TO MAKE OUR OWN CHOICES, EXCLUDING BOB, THOSE MEN ALL MADE CHOICES CONTRARY TO WHAT IS NEEDED TO GET THE FREE LUNCH PASS IN HEAVEN.

Quote:
BEING ALIVE HURTS DUDE, EVERYTHING WE FEEL IS PAI

Very true. EVEN MISSPELLED..

PLEASE BRING UP YOUR POINT NOW.
THIS IS FUN.
panetti On February 17, 2005

Little Rock, Arkansas
#62New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 03:26:37
Ok, I'll bring it up, but I'm wondering how many simultaneous debates we can keep up here.

Ok, the question I had problems with for a while was how we can have free will even though God knows what we are going to do before we do it and has prepared events to respond accordingly. If God knows our choices before we make them, do we have choices? Free will/predestiny: Contradiction or paradox?

My answer begins with how God has no begninning or end; He is timeless.

Actually, I have a hard time doing this without visual aid. Last time I was at a Bible study I was leading and used a pillow, and everybody was looking at me like I was nuts (don't ask)!

Anyway, so how can God be infitely backwards and forwards, no beginning and no end? My answer is He can, but we can't understand it in this life. And so I'll grab some object with a distinct beginning and end (like a pillow!) for visual aid.

God is the Creator of time, so time is our object in question. Time has a beginning (the creation) and an end (as described in Revelation and elsewhere). It's a straight line inbetween.

For us, we "can't see the forest for the trees" because we're "too close to it". Since we exist inside time, we have no concept of being outside time and thus can't grasp anything beyond time. We can't see the beginning or the end; all we can see is the point on the line that we're on and the points we've been on.

God on the other hand, is outside of time; He created it. (Here's the fun part Because God is outside of time, he can see the beginning of time and the end of time at the same time. That's how God knew what would happen at the end of the world when He created it (I hypothesize somewhere in here is the answer to our suffering question, but I haven't figured it out yet; just an idea).

This also helps explain why we can't 100% debate God on logical standards alone. Logic as we know it is "inside the box" while God is "outside the box". So logic helps, but only goes so far; you have to combine it with something else (mentioned briefly in a previous post I made). This is where I belive the Holy Spirit bridges the gap for us, when we allow it.

Anyway, this is how you reconcile free will and predestiny: We can choose whatever we want, but that choice exists on a point in time. Since God is outside of time and can see all time at the same time, He can plan accordingly ahead of time (predestiny). (Yeah, trying saying THAT three times fast!)

So, we have free will and predestiny.

Okay, so you say a paradox is defined as a contradiction? A paradox is something that appears to be a contradiction but can be reconciled so that both opposing aspects of it actually coexist, so that it is not a contradiction in actuality. A true contradiction cannot be reconciled.

Now, on to the points actually in question:

Quote:
DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MEN/WOMEN HAVE BEEN LYNCHED. HELL THE BLACK MAN SHOULD BE GOD, FOR WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM, EVEN ON THE STREETS OF OUR BEAUTIFUL TOWN. SO BEING GOD KINDA NEGATES IT TO ME

How does that change anything? God suffered the ultimate suffering (was not only physical, but spiritual: the full sum of each person's sin) so that means 1) He fulfilled the law and paid the price and 2) He can relate to anyone else's suffering. "Being God kinda negates it" is still going back to the idea that God came down in all His divinity and not as a human, which is not the case. If the prior, that statement could be true, but rather it's the latter. God gave up His divinity for that so that it would not negate the purpose.

Quote:
NOT ALL CHRISTIAN APPROACH THE TRINITY AS YOU DO CURRENTLY

Correct. I look at things a lot differently than a lot of Christians do, in fact, and have been told I'm "going to hell" repeatedly as a result. I believe my approach is the biblical one though.

Quote:
IF SOMEONE KILLS/RAPESS MY WIFE I WILL COMMIT MURDER. SAY YOUR ON IN THE OCEAN AND i AM ON A BOAT. IF I SEE YOU AND OFFER TO HELP YOU THATS IS NICE, BUT IF I SEE YOU AND SAY "TELL ME i AM GOD AND YOU CAN GET ON", THEN YOUR CHOICES BECOME MOOT.

Bringing them onto the boat is a temporary thing; they're out of your sight afterwards so despite your ego in thinking you're God, you don't care what they think.

However, it's not as simple as the boat. Would you invite someone to live with you forever that denied your existance?

Quote:
MAYBE THAT IS WHAT BUDDA DID, OR MOHAMMED OR GANDI, OR BOB ... TO ME THIS IS RELEVENT BECAUSE YOU SAID THAT WE ALL HAVE TO MAKE OUR OWN CHOICES

Granted, but my point was God doesn't explain it all to us because He (going by my belief) wants us to think for ourselves and gives us enough info to figure it out. I don't understand how "we can choose our religion" counterpoints that. Those are two seperate issues. I'm having trouble connecting I guess -- My understanding is that you're saying 1) since we can choose a religion then 2) God should explain it all to us explicitly, which doesn't make sense given my point: He gives us enough info to figure it out so it's irrelevant how many "choices" we have. Have I misunderstood your point?

Phew...*pant, pant* Time to come up for air!
ualrlaw On June 18, 2004

#63New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 03:31:59
Panetti,

You and I know that it is all about faith. Faith no greater than a mustard seed. I'm no biblical scholar or theologian and I cannot explain God's will or why things are as they are. I believe because I know that it is the truth. I believe because of what God has done in my life.

Little Rock, Arkansas
#64New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 03:33:24
Thanks Law, you beat me to the point! That's what I was trying to lead to with the "not logic alone" part, else only Bible scholars could get into heaven, and that's absolutely ridiculous.

In the end, it's all about faith.

#65New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 03:50:48
1. ualrlaw----- i like you, lets just talk...
2. spagetti---- i thought you would bring up free will

Free will is union of our current debates.

Do we have it?

I believe we have a total free will, it requires no obligation to ceremony or belief. I can chose to be evil, or I can chose to be bad. I can define those terms to suit my needs. I think it is simple to believe that God is outside of time. Therefore he can see all things. So he can see my choice to type these words, way before i typed them.

Lastly, It frightens me that a person can believe something so firmly and they can not totally justify why. I tell you my friend that more and more people are becoming intolerant of such a system of belief, because it is the sole driving force behind the entire terrorist movement. Do nothing blindly, even the bible says to question it.

Little Rock, Arkansas
#66New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 03:54:01
Right on! That actually swings back around to why I think God doesn't spell it out for us. He's teaching us to think for ourselves, find out for ourselves, else we'd be following blindly.

People who firmly believe what they do without backing it up scares me too, very much so. Excellent, excellent point!

#67New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 04:04:20
then it is good to have people in the society that help to propose questions we don't have the anwers for, but should work together to find.

Little Rock, Arkansas
#68New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 04:09:57
Big ditto on that.
heidisnow On January 23, 2005

#69New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 05:00:58
Ok, I skpped half the stuff there because, well, I got tried of reading y'all argue back and forth. So with that up front...oh, and the fact that I've never had a religious class...

So how do you know we aren't worshiping the same God, just under different religious names - I mean "good" God, by the way...not saying satanists worship the same as christians...just mean the different religions around the world.

Ok, so Jews, believe in the old testiment. Christians believe in Jesus. Muslims know the old and new testment and have added Mohammad (sp?). Seems like in my uneducated opinion that everyone worships from the same beginning old testiment and has just carried on from there. So who's going to hell? It's the same hell but every involved religion (how many just from the Christian side????) believes the everyone else is going there because these other people don't believe what you do.

So is the Muslam who blows up the Jew in Isreal going to hell because he's doing what he believes God wanted him to? Is the Jew who tears down his family's home going to hell for retaliating? Are the US Christians going to hell for killing a Muslam in Iraq? It's a big circle.

Again, the beers are involved so don't know if I explained it all correctly, but how can anyone really be going to hell when you are all following what your religion (which all falls back on the same God) tells you to do. How do you know your religion is really the correct one? Seems to me like all you can do is cross your fingers and hope you are really doing what "God" wants you to since there are so many books "God" is in.

Little Rock, Arkansas
#70New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 05:08:11
Heidi -- Look back at my post about discerning which religion to follow. It comes down to this: truth is one thing. There is truth and untruth, with no third option. That said, something cannot both be true and not true at the same time.

1) Christianity: Jesus is the Messiah
2) Judaism: Jesus is not the Messiah

Therefore, Jesus is both the Messiah and not the Messiah simultaneously. Both cannot be correct simultaneously.

Anyway, I'm repeating myself, so just go back to that post.
sin_tastes_like_rainbows On September 07, 2005

#71New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 05:18:35
BLEH

Little Rock, Arkansas
#72New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 05:36:22
Heh heh, that brought me happy.
jmhanvey On October 29, 2004

Little Rock, Arkansas
#73New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 17:46:36
kinda getting a little crazy for me too....I like religious debates but they go on forever and it seems to never end...
let's all take a break for a few days or something...just my opinion

Little Rock, Arkansas
#74New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 19:17:39
Sounds good to me, I'm getting winded!

In the meantime, here are two great websites to visit:

www.apologeticspress.org
www.carm.org

The latter is one I've frequented, and in fact gives the best argument against abortion (another lovely topic) I've ever heard or read.
saladin On November 18, 2004

#75New Post! Apr 05, 2004 @ 21:29:08
[stands up] I have a question(s) I'd like to ask if nobody minds....

Why did God send Jesus at that particular time? Adam and Eve sinned centuries before Jesus came. Why didn't Jesus come sooner? Does that mean Moses's sins were not forgiven since Jesus had not come yet? How come Moses or Abraham never spoke of any trinity?

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to somehow criticize Christianity. There are just some things I don't quite understand.

P.S: I hope the answers for these questions don't come up to be one entire page.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs