Political Parties

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
LedZap On January 28, 2010

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#1New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 02:39:04
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican party."
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 02:56:41
Very, very silly but there's certainly a kernel of truth there.

Of course, it's only economic. It ignores the Republican party's continued crusade against personal freedom and small government when it comes to societal issues, which blows my mind considering their strong stance on the side of personal freedom on economic ones.
MingLee On August 05, 2009

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#3New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 03:48:13
All American colleges get some kind of tax money. With that in mind, one might argue that because the government provides the education, the A-students should share their grades with the D-students. Or one might argue that Bill Gates didn't really earn his billions because if he had been on a desert island, he could not have earned his billions. He made his money because of the safe haven the government provides, and therefore his money does not belong to him, it belongs to whoever Barak Obama wants to give it to.
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#4New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 09:24:40
Weak metaphor. Thing about the GPA is it is almost entirely based on hard work. When determining how much pay one gets hard work is merely one of many factors.
MingLee On August 05, 2009

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#5New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 12:56:34
@fitzyp Said

Weak metaphor. Thing about the GPA is it is almost entirely based on hard work. When determining how much pay one gets hard work is merely one of many factors.

According to the argument in post #3, a student gets a GPA because the college exists. Therefore the GPA belongs to the college, and the college may give it to any student, even the ones who don't work to get it.

Wealth exists because its culture exists. In the absence of culture and the contributors to the culture, wealth cannot exist, therefore wealth belongs to everybody, and everybody may distribute wealth however everybody decides.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 13:03:08
@MingLee Said

All American colleges get some kind of tax money.

[citation needed]

@MingLee Said
his money does not belong to him, it belongs to whoever Barak Obama wants to give it to.

Barack Obama is not the government. He does not get to determine how to spend the country's budget.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 13:35:17
@LedZap Said

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican party."

Ah, the wise old conservative understands everything. Silly little naive liberal! She should know better than to be selfless when there is no such thing as a deserving poor person.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 13:38:25
There are some deserving poor people.

There are also some undeserving poor people.

How do you tell them apart?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013