Poetry writing tips.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
NotlihNhoj On August 12, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 17:18:28
Tips for the writing of poems.

This is intended as a resource to be added to by other poets. I'll start the process with a few obvious points.

1- ALWAYS have a notebook/pad and writing implement available. In your bedroom, in your living room, in your handbag, wherever. I don't just mean around the house, I mean ALWAYS. You never know when an idea will come to you, and you really can't be sure you'll remember it later. And two or more pens are best, as it's frustrating to have a great idea, and then find that your pen doesn't work.

2-Don't just write about yourself. There's a whole world out there. And if you must write about yourself, do it in the third person every now and then. Anything that will give you perspective and distance.

3-REVISE. Few 'first thoughts' aren't improved by a little editing.

4-Keep the poem focused. If something isn't necessary, the delete it.

5-Keep it short. If any one word could sum up the essence of poetry, it is concision.

6-Always keep looking for how your next poem could be better than those you've written before.

I think that will do for now.

Love and best wishes,
Your Friend,
John.
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#2New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 17:46:52
Good tips there John. Personally I just write what comes into my head and seldom even re read what I've written. Maybe that's why my poetry sucks.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#3New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 17:59:00
John, I was reading with interest the praise bestowed upon you, and other writers here on TFS, received of one individual, and I felt very much inclined to agree, but for one small thing.

I read, and find that I am forced to decide what it is that you (all) mean to say, at times, because of a lack of simple punctuation. The properly punctuated verse or sentence tells the reader precisely how to assimilate the words, where to pause, what to emphasise. Why are so many writers so, apparently, oblivious to grammar and punctuation? Shouldn't that be included in your list of tips? After all, concision in no way implies that the punctuation should be cut out of the written text!
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 18:09:15
Everybody is different when it comes to poetry.
I like to be spontanious. I write what's on my mind at the time, be inventive.
I know it works, as I have had good feedback from others.
Don't get me wrong, if it works for you, then go for it.
What I'm saying, is everyone has their own methods.
But good luck with your creations anyway.

Bristol, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 18:21:22
@Saegespaene Said

John, I was reading with interest the praise bestowed upon you, and other writers here on TFS, received of one individual, and I felt very much inclined to agree, but for one small thing.

I read, and find that I am forced to decide what it is that you (all) mean to say, at times, because of a lack of simple punctuation. The properly punctuated verse or sentence tells the reader precisely how to assimilate the words, where to pause, what to emphasise. Why are so many writers so, apparently, oblivious to grammar and punctuation? Shouldn't that be included in your list of tips? After all, concision in no way implies that the punctuation should be cut out of the written text!

Personally I'm very careful in my use of punctuation in my poems. However, that doesn't mean that I follow strict grammatical rules at all times. It depends on what point I am trying to make with that particlar element. I use full stops when I think it appropriate, and I capitalise the first word of every line, whether it begins a 'new sentence' or not.

However, you do have a point, however, spelling is, IMHO, far more important if you wish your poetry to be read and understood.
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 18:29:42
Personally, I write what inspires me in the moment.
Punctuation of course, is key in most cases.
I think you can get away with bad spelling, providing the reader can understand what it is you are writing about.
I don't think research is absolutely essential.
But that's just me.
Part-time Nidologist

#7New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 20:34:38
@NotlihNhoj Said

Personally I'm very careful in my use of punctuation in my poems. However, that doesn't mean that I follow strict grammatical rules at all times. It depends on what point I am trying to make with that particlar element. I use full stops when I think it appropriate, and I capitalise the first word of every line, whether it begins a 'new sentence' or not.

However, you do have a point, however, spelling is, IMHO, far more important if you wish your poetry to be read and understood.

[Ed. - This response was ellicited through the failure to answer the questions posed: Why are so many writers so, apparently, oblivious to grammar and punctuation? Shouldn't that be included in your list of tips?]

John, you should be on the Obama Press Team, maybe even serve as his front man! No (real) offense, good fellow, but, because you pointed to spelling, instead of (...and not together with...) punctuation and grammar, I infer that you're not in favor of the latter.

We, quite obviously, must have attended separate schools together.

Bristol, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 21:08:10
@Saegespaene Said

[Ed. - This response was ellicited through the failure to answer the questions posed: Why are so many writers so, apparently, oblivious to grammar and punctuation? Shouldn't that be included in your list of tips?]

John, you should be on the Obama Press Team, maybe even serve as his front man! No (real) offense, good fellow, but, because you pointed to spelling, instead of (...and not together with...) punctuation and grammar, I infer that you're not in favor of the latter.

We, quite obviously, must have attended separate schools together.

And you should be on McCain's team, since you don't actually appear to have read my reply, which most clearly does refer to both punctuation and grammar.

You want to lighten up. Most people who post poems here aren't seaking fame and fortune as professional poets, they're just letting stuff off their chest etc.

Bristol, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 21:09:11
Part-time Nidologist

#10New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 21:34:03
@NotlihNhoj Said

That's really funny, John. You're moving your lips, but there doesn't appear to be anything understandable issuing forth...
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#11New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 21:45:24
Depending on the form of poetry, punctuation is the writer's option. many poets use no punctuation fearing the loss of flow. e e cummings no capitals. Poetry is to be interpreted, not spelled out. Each person takes from a poem what it says to them.I have written several which are assumed to have a sexual nature, the opposite is true. It amazes me some of the interpretations I receive. I understand the spelling problem.Punctuation let's you read the poem without interpretation. If I want it to read like a question I will punctuate it as such. You'd think that someone who taught English would be a stckler, but then, you take away from the flow of the poem.
sheylah_044 On November 04, 2011

City of San Fernando, Philippi
#12New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 02:09:07
gee.. thanks for those tips... i really really need those... i am sooo frustrated with my poetry and i need some tips to somehow revive it.. hopefully i could manage a decent poem as soon as i can...

Bristol, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 10:09:15
@sheylah_044 Said

gee.. thanks for those tips... i really really need those... i am sooo frustrated with my poetry and i need some tips to somehow revive it.. hopefully i could manage a decent poem as soon as i can...

Keep at it, and, if a poem doesn't work out, don't just scrap it, try to see why it didn't work, and think about what you could do different next time...
SnowMarqGrafix On February 20, 2009

#14New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 07:17:25
i think the first thing that a poet should learn is to understand that when you're a beginner in poetry, you don't have to pressure yourself to write the most beautiful poem better than edgar allan poe or sylvia plath
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#15New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 07:19:46
Poetry is my release. No pressure. Just pleasure
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs