The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Relationships

Please, help this poor misguided girl out!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
kangthemad On April 25, 2013
TFS Man of Mystery

#1New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 21:03:52
https://www.writingforums.com/lounge/102298-advice-young-marriage.html

She is making a big mistake.
moonlighthopes On May 30, 2015

, Canada
#2New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 21:15:09
Wow 2 whole months. I've been with my boyfriend 4 years and we're just getting to think about marriage lol.
BlueSaxman On August 12, 2012

Tucson, Arizona
#3New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 21:21:05
Imo, thay are going to fast, but you never know, I know some people that got married after a week of dating, and are still happily married five or six years later. I've even heard of one couple that got married on thayre first date, that was TEN years ago, and thay are still way happy, so you never know, comunication is a big factor, and it sounds like thay have a lot of it.
moonlighthopes On May 30, 2015

, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 21:26:08
Me and my boyfriend went a longass time without one single argument, they DO come, so they need to be together long enough to experience that. (You can paste this to her if you want, I'm not making an account just for her sake).

I'd never leave my boyfriend because of a fight, but I think they should experience that first because it might come as a shock later, they need to know that the other person CAN get angry/upset.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#5New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 21:26:28
I always thought that there are only 4 reasons to get married that young or quickly. not saying i believe that these are good reasons to get married.
1. Girl gets pregnant
2. Military benefits
3. Religious and want to have sex/live together
4. One is moving and marriage is a way to stay together.

I don't think this girl fits any of these categories but I don't understand why they can't wait.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 21:36:39
If she wants to marry him as soon as they turn 18 then noone can stop her. BUT they have to get that far.
emoric On January 02, 2010

Deleted
Banned

lol :D, Indiana
#7New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 22:17:27
maybe he is obsessed?
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 22:31:14
funny she gave a good example in communication skills and having his surname(which she can do legally without marriage)i done that and then got married the yr later but what got me was the invisable word love,which should be top of a couples list,perhaps 2 months isn't long enough to fall in love ? x
stardar On January 28, 2009

blah,
#9New Post! Oct 03, 2008 @ 23:46:40
I think the real reason as she posted, that their parents will give them more respect if they are married, but I think the opposite will happen.
I know it was only mentioned briefly in her post, but I believe that is probably the main reason.
If that is what her and her boyfriend really want, then why not?
Just I think she should keep in mind, that it costs a LOT more to get divorced then it does to get married.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:34:25
I read her post and if she and her boyfriend are as determined they want to get married as she seems, they will. I guess there are worse things in life - I would rather my daughter got married at 17 than got hooked on ice or cocaine. There are couples who marry this young and do make it, and they may be an example. They seem to want the same things. If they do get married, let's just hope in 25 years time they still want the same things.
basha On June 14, 2012

Somewhere YOU wanna be!!, Unit
#11New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 08:02:43
WOW.
I have absolutely no idea what is happening to the world these days when that is the sort of advice people give to a seventeen year old girl regarding marriage.
'Just go for it'
Like you even know what marriage is at the age of 17.

All i can say is that i am damn glad that i have the parents i have and that they raised me the way that they did. Because if ANYONE had given me that sort of advice at 17 my dad would have gone into orbit!!

Personally, after my recent experience i think that marriage should be illegal full stop.
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 19:41:38
@basha Said
WOW.
I have absolutely no idea what is happening to the world these days when that is the sort of advice people give to a seventeen year old girl regarding marriage.
'Just go for it'
Like you even know what marriage is at the age of 17.

All i can say is that i am damn glad that i have the parents i have and that they raised me the way that they did. Because if ANYONE had given me that sort of advice at 17 my dad would have gone into orbit!!

Personally, after my recent experience i think that marriage should be illegal full stop.

Hey, if they're waiting a year then at least they're being a bit smart. But some people in their 40s get married after 2 months. You don't know someone and how you interact with them after 2 months....you have to wait until everyone stops putting a guard up to get the other person to like them in the first place.

It's this kind of attitude that annoys me though. It's not her age that is the problem. I'm 17 too. I know about love, I know about a long-term relationships and I know that there are things she needs to learn. I could get married now if I've known the guy long enough and was truly in love with him. I'm sick of people thinking you are more naive than others just because of age. My Dad has made stupider mistakes than me when it comes to love.
basha On June 14, 2012

Somewhere YOU wanna be!!, Unit
#13New Post! Oct 06, 2008 @ 02:23:30
@dumdedum Said
Hey, if they're waiting a year then at least they're being a bit smart. But some people in their 40s get married after 2 months. You don't know someone and how you interact with them after 2 months....you have to wait until everyone stops putting a guard up to get the other person to like them in the first place.

It's this kind of attitude that annoys me though. It's not her age that is the problem. I'm 17 too. I know about love, I know about a long-term relationships and I know that there are things she needs to learn. I could get married now if I've known the guy long enough and was truly in love with him. I'm sick of people thinking you are more naive than others just because of age. My Dad has made stupider mistakes than me when it comes to love.

Hey, i'm not saying you are naive. That was my opinion.
But i also thought the same as you when i was 17.
Ten years later i realise i knew f*** all.

Wait and see how your opinions will change as you get older...
mell_loife18 On May 14, 2010

Dundee, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 06, 2008 @ 15:21:13
@cGobla Said
I always thought that there are only 4 reasons to get married that young or quickly. not saying i believe that these are good reasons to get married.
1. Girl gets pregnant
2. Military benefits
3. Religious and want to have sex/live together
4. One is moving and marriage is a way to stay together.

I don't think this girl fits any of these categories but I don't understand why they can't wait.

what about love?
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 06, 2008 @ 17:14:31
@basha Said
Hey, i'm not saying you are naive. That was my opinion.
But i also thought the same as you when i was 17.
Ten years later i realise i knew f*** all.

Wait and see how your opinions will change as you get older...

I don't that's because you actually WERE naive at 17. I think it's due to the fact that everyone feels more mature than the previous year or two. People do silly things at any age and people focus on the silly things they do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs