The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

Please help me predict my college future!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
pianist77 On August 28, 2010

Lincoln, Nebraska
#1New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 23:16:33
Hello all. First post here. I just need some help here figuring out where I stand in college and what is probably going to happen to me based on what you guys know.

I attend UNL in Nebraska as an Out of state student from Kansas. I don't know anyone attending. about 20,000 undergrads. It's the end of week one, and I haven't really met anyone as a "friend" (as in, that I can call up to hang out with whenever). Most days are just walking from class to class, seeing everyone with all their friends, myself being alone all week! I find it extremely irritating and boring!

Now, for some background on myself--I'm not the quiet shy kid complaining about how he can't make friends. I was a very popular kid in high school, top of my class,involved in many activities, was the Drum Major of my band (which, oddly enough, is nowhere near nerdy at my school; this person needs to have a huge personality). I also play Jazz keyboard and am very outgoing. It's just hard here, as there really aren't opportunities to have a conversation last more than a few minutes/class period.

But here in college, obviously none of this matters as being a Freshman, nobody knows who you really are. I joined a Fraternity this week, hoping to meet people soon. They really enjoyed me and loved to have me pledge, even this late.

Now my question is, what do you guys think, from experience? Will I make friends soon? I know it's still a little early to expect friends. Is it easy to meet girls in a frat? Despite my nature in high school, I never have been with a girl or hardly kissed one. It's not that I never had the opportunity, I just was always a bit scared. Be totally honest on what you guys think. I'm just a little quieter than usual here, as it's a daunting place...thanks in advance. and Sorry for all the text, I just realized how long this is.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 23:20:33
Just try to go to places where there are people, and try talking to people in your classes every once and while. I imagine it's a bit overwhelming going from being the popular one to knowing nobody, but you'd be surprised at how many other people are thinking the exact same thing about them. If you take the initiative to actually start a conversation then you're bound to get results. The worst thing that can happen is they don't talk to you, so you have nothing to lose.
jassmine12 On February 24, 2011

Banned

, American Samoa
#3New Post! Sep 09, 2010 @ 09:29:30
If you will work hard in college then your future will be bright other wise you will have to work hard in your whole life.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 09, 2010 @ 09:32:12
Take it easy. Firstly you are there to learn. So stay focused on that. If you happen to make friends along the way then its a bonus.

Dont appear overkeen or desperate. Just hang out with the people you have a genuine connection with.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 09, 2010 @ 09:46:56
thats all good advice , but you mustn't neglect the social side...frequent bouts of drunkenness and meaningless sex should balance things out nicely;]
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#6New Post! Sep 09, 2010 @ 10:03:12
You're not in Kansas, any more....

Just relax. You will likely be 'assigned' a lab-partner or have to work with a group of others in order to complete class assignments, and the socializing will flow from there.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs