Forums: Sports:
Football (US)

Peyton Manning

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmexico25 On November 19, 2019

Dallas, Texas
#1New Post! Feb 03, 2010 @ 08:47:14
If he wins another super bowl (total of 2 so far) along with his record 4 MVPs, will he be considered to best quarterback ever?

For me, I'm going to have to say yes, even though I'm tired of reporters declaring "the best ever" in any sport just about every year. BUT when it comes to Peyton Manning I believe there is an exception for an exceptional talent.

Quarterbacks from the past eras of the NFL (and AFL for that matter) did not deal with near as much talent as there is in the league now. Yes, alot of them may have been super skilled for the time (Namath, Montana, and even more recent greats like Aikman, Elway, Marino etc...) but the fact of the matter is, Peyton Manning (and all other current qbs) deal with bigger and faster defenses, more complex defensive schemes and the ever rising pressure of leading not just a team, but a CITY to glory on a yearly basis. Why is Peyton different? Not only does he execute the plays to near perfection, he practically creates them. No, not really, but he does do all the play calling. Not only that, if he sees that the play HE picked isn't appropriate, or sees a blitz coming, HE audibles it.

Lemme sum up his greatness. 4 MVPS, 1 superbowl win (so far) with another coming up this Sunday. Great qb's don't let their opportunities pass them up, and thats why I'm sure Peyton will be a 2 time champion, for now.
diomedes On March 22, 2013

Long Beach, California
#2New Post! Feb 04, 2010 @ 01:34:30
@mrmexico25 Said

If he wins another super bowl (total of 2 so far) along with his record 4 MVPs, will he be considered to best quarterback ever?

For me, I'm going to have to say yes, even though I'm tired of reporters declaring "the best ever" in any sport just about every year. BUT when it comes to Peyton Manning I believe there is an exception for an exceptional talent.

Quarterbacks from the past eras of the NFL (and AFL for that matter) did not deal with near as much talent as there is in the league now. Yes, alot of them may have been super skilled for the time (Namath, Montana, and even more recent greats like Aikman, Elway, Marino etc...) but the fact of the matter is, Peyton Manning (and all other current qbs) deal with bigger and faster defenses, more complex defensive schemes and the ever rising pressure of leading not just a team, but a CITY to glory on a yearly basis. Why is Peyton different? Not only does he execute the plays to near perfection, he practically creates them. No, not really, but he does do all the play calling. Not only that, if he sees that the play HE picked isn't appropriate, or sees a blitz coming, HE audibles it.

Lemme sum up his greatness. 4 MVPS, 1 superbowl win (so far) with another coming up this Sunday. Great qb's don't let their opportunities pass them up, and thats why I'm sure Peyton will be a 2 time champion, for now.

I don't know, to be fair though to others though defenses may be bigger and faster the rules favor offenses now a days, also he needs to show some more clutch ability. I need to see him pull through and win 2 more super bowls after this coming one, then he might be considered the greatest quarterback of all time.
mrmexico25 On November 19, 2019

Dallas, Texas
#3New Post! Feb 04, 2010 @ 08:02:13
Quote:
I don't know, to be fair though to others though defenses may be bigger and faster the rules favor offenses now a days, also he needs to show some more clutch ability. I need to see him pull through and win 2 more super bowls after this coming one, then he might be considered the greatest quarterback of all time.

so you're telling me Peyton Manning needs to win 4 mvps and 4 superbowls to be considered the best of all time? That my friend is a pretty tall order.
amack1028 On February 22, 2016

San Luis Obispo, California
#4New Post! Feb 19, 2016 @ 22:06:58
Sweet to see him win second ring !!!! But he oughta quit while he;s ahead
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#5New Post! Feb 19, 2016 @ 22:50:56
As far as I know, he's the greatest, of course, I'm never seen Otto Graham or any other "great one" who didn't play in the 70's or before. I'd say he's the best I've ever seen.
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#6New Post! Mar 08, 2016 @ 23:03:12
I don't think their is one NFL quarterback that's the absolute best. Instead, I think their are lots of QB's that are equally great, such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana, etc.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Mar 09, 2016 @ 00:01:50
He would be in my top 5.

Brady, Montana, Elway, and Marino would be the others.

He was beatable, if you could disguise defenses and put heavy pressure him at the line of scrimmage at the same time. This is why he couldn't win the ring as often as Brady and Montana have.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#8New Post! Mar 09, 2016 @ 00:09:50
when you win as an old guy.
in a old guy body.
it's even sweeter
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs