Pets for kids on the spectrum

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 22:32:39
As a lot of you know from my posting a few weeks ago, my younger son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. I've taken him to a child psychiatrist who has his doubts that he is genuinely Aspergian, but says he is absolutely on the autism spectrum one way or the other. I have been doing a lot of reading and the more I learn, the more encouraged I am about being able to make his life a happy one.

One thing the psychiatrist mentioned, and something I've read elsewhere is that pets are often a good therapeutic element in the life of a young child on the spectrum and I'm considering getting a puppy for the family for Christmas this year.

I've raised dogs before, so I'm not concerned with questions about the care of the animal or anything like that, but more if there are people who have any advice on what type of dog would be a good fit for an autistic child. I've been thinking of something along the lines of a border terrier, and I'm going to look first at adoption from a shelter before anything else.

Any input?
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 22:36:27
How about a Staff? The nanny dog, generally good with kids from what I understand?

Pets help people generally, so the idea doesn't surprise me at all
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 22:39:55
Its a very good idea. I have a fair amount of friends with kids on the spectrum and they all have pets that are specifically for them to care for and it seems to have been therapeutic for each of them. two of them have a pygmy hedgehog like mine and another had a massive grate dane! It is something that if the whole family was happy with, I would actively encourage
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#4New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 22:48:04
I've often seen golden retrievers used (and sometimes other retrievers/labs/hounds) with kids who had Asperger's or who were on the Autism spectrum FWIW.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 22:54:24
I don't mean to go off topic, and sorry if I have, but my experience (which I admit is limited) of autism is finding something the child loves doing, not forcing something on them.

Many of the worlds best minds in history would probably be diagnosed as autistic now.

Autistic people do one or two things brilliantly. Figure out what that is and encourage them.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#6New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 23:01:10
Although I agree with you that you that no one should "force" a child into something, and that these children are perfectly capable of doing wonderful things, I do not believe that Eaglebauer intends to "force" anything upon his child, or at least that was not the impression I received from reading his OP.

Pets have often been used as service animals for those on the autistic spectrum, or as mentioned as a "therapeutic element" for some. Some latch onto them quite well, but if often depends upon their needs and their personalities (and the personality of the breed/specific animal).

Eaglebauer, I would recommend taking your son with you when you go to the shelter if at all possible. It may help you in determining how their "personalities" mesh, so to speak. What works great well for one child might not with another, and having your child there might help you more easily figure it out.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 23:05:42
@paramour Said

Although I agree with you that you that no one should "force" a child into something, and that these children are perfectly capable of doing wonderful things, I do not believe that Eaglebauer intends to "force" anything upon his child, or at least that was not the impression I received from reading his OP.

Pets have often been used as service animals for those on the autistic spectrum, or as mentioned as a "therapeutic element" for some. Some latch onto them quite well, but if often depends upon their needs and their personalities (and the personality of the breed/specific animal).

Eaglebauer, I would recommend taking your son with you when you go to the shelter if at all possible. It may help you in determining how their "personalities" mesh, so to speak. What works great well for one child might not with another, and having your child there might help you more easily figure it out.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting he was either, just that I expect some will respond well with pets and some won't.

And I agree taking him with you, and maybe talking with support groups and/or forums to look into alternatives for your sons development.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#8New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 23:38:59
@Eaglebauer Said

As a lot of you know from my posting a few weeks ago, my younger son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. I've taken him to a child psychiatrist who has his doubts that he is genuinely Aspergian, but says he is absolutely on the autism spectrum one way or the other. I have been doing a lot of reading and the more I learn, the more encouraged I am about being able to make his life a happy one.

One thing the psychiatrist mentioned, and something I've read elsewhere is that pets are often a good therapeutic element in the life of a young child on the spectrum and I'm considering getting a puppy for the family for Christmas this year.

I've raised dogs before, so I'm not concerned with questions about the care of the animal or anything like that, but more if there are people who have any advice on what type of dog would be a good fit for an autistic child. I've been thinking of something along the lines of a border terrier, and I'm going to look first at adoption from a shelter before anything else.

Any input?

would stay away from puppies maybe a 2 year old or 3. this way you will know more of the personality of the dog. How it will bond with your child. Take your child with you but stay out of the puppy section if possible,JMO
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 18, 2011 @ 23:57:40
I would stay away from terriers if possible, they have tons of personality and are my personal favourites, but they may be a bit aggressive. I'd recommend a bigger but more docile kind of dog.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#10New Post! Nov 19, 2011 @ 01:47:55
https://www.ask.com/web?q=what%27s+a+good+dog+for+someone+with+Asperger%27s+syndrome&qsrc=0&o=41648103&l=sem
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Nov 19, 2011 @ 10:48:33
@SparklyKatie Said

I don't mean to go off topic, and sorry if I have, but my experience (which I admit is limited) of autism is finding something the child loves doing, not forcing something on them.

Many of the worlds best minds in history would probably be diagnosed as autistic now.

Autistic people do one or two things brilliantly. Figure out what that is and encourage them.

No, I appreciate the input!

I agree, and I'd never force something like a pet on him. Perhaps I should have mentioned that he's been going on and on about a dog for the past few weeks and at one point told us he wants eight dogs

Eight dogs isn't going to happen though!
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 19, 2011 @ 21:51:26
@Eaglebauer Said

No, I appreciate the input!

I agree, and I'd never force something like a pet on him. Perhaps I should have mentioned that he's been going on and on about a dog for the past few weeks and at one point told us he wants eight dogs

Eight dogs isn't going to happen though!

Eight my 2 are more than enough for me- he is quite the optimist does he have a preferred breed or is he just happy with jsut having a dog?
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 19, 2011 @ 23:03:35
We have a labradoodle (part poodle, part labradore) and she is the gentlest, most docile thing in the world. You can literally do anything to her, and the worst she have ever done is growl slightly at an adult (she seems to understand that she should be more tolerant with children).

But if I were you I'd do some research on the temperaments of dogs, and which ones are good with children. If your son has allergies/aversion to loud sounds, you might need to take that into consideration too.

But I would take him, once you've seen a dog you like or found a breeder. And if you're going to a shelter, just explain the situation so they can help you find a suitable dog.

But good luck! I'm sure it'll be a welcome addition to the family
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Nov 19, 2011 @ 23:23:00
@ninozara Said

We have a labradoodle (part poodle, part labradore) and she is the gentlest, most docile thing in the world. You can literally do anything to her, and the worst she have ever done is growl slightly at an adult (she seems to understand that she should be more tolerant with children).

Your dog sounds lovely, mine sees children as dog treats
Judas On September 02, 2015

, Canada
#15New Post! Nov 20, 2011 @ 01:14:37
Dogs are cool.
I'd get him into riding, if there's a stable around you. Horses have been probably the best animals for kids with Autism.

I read a book awhile back about two parents who took their child to Maui (I think) on a horseback ride to find these Reindeer Shaman. It's sounds weird, but it was a helluva book, and a true story. I'll have to see if I can't find the title for it.
It'd probably be a really interesting read for you. I really enjoyed it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs