The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
UK Elections & Politics

Petrol Running Out - Everyone Panic Buy!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:20:18
So a few petrol stations (including the one down the road from me) have ran out of fuel, and many others have apparently had huge backlogs over the chance of a lory driver strike next month.

The Government have recommended panic buying as a safe-guard against the problems Labour faced during the last petrol shortage.

What are folks thoughts on this, you panic bought yourself?
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:25:07
I'd thought it was just the public being silly, not that the government had suggested the action. I wonder why they did. Undermine impact of the strike?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:25:16
I'm finding the hysteria rather amusing to be honest. There's loads of people moaning about it on Twitter, as they're on their way to go and fill up themselves

Some are saying it's some kind of conspiracy to make the unions look weak or something, but I'm not so sure really. It does seem a bit stupid for the government to say it if there wasn't a confirmed strike though.
Hot_Rod On March 30, 2012

Deleted
Banned

A yacht, Monaco
#4New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:26:14
@jmo Said

So a few petrol stations (including the one down the road from me) have ran out of fuel, and many others have apparently had huge backlogs over the chance of a lory driver strike next month.

The Government have recommended panic buying as a safe-guard against the problems Labour faced during the last petrol shortage.

What are folks thoughts on this, you panic bought yourself?

Nope. Mind you, my dad owns a tuning workshop and has his own pump.

But even so I would just fill up my car and that's it. Most people can never safely store enough to see through a long problem anyway if you use your car all the time, and if everyone is doing it, most will end up with nothing.

The government is being irresponsible.
Pandorazz On October 07, 2013

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:26:21
Luckily I have a full tank, but this is a strike that might not even happen, all the government has done is make people panic. I guess If I had a low tank then yes I would have tried to get petrol as I need my car for work.

This is what the AA said ..." the buying frenzy will bring in an extra £32million in fuel excise duty. "
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:27:50
@davii Said

I'd thought it was just the public being silly, not that the government had suggested the action. I wonder why they did. Undermine impact of the strike?

I think it was to make it sounds like they where doing something. Francis Maude recommended everyone go out and stockpile fuel to negate the effects of a strike, which of course essentially leads to panic buying.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:28:29
Obama did it!!!

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#8New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:28:58
@Hot_Rod Said

Nope. Mind you, my dad owns a tuning workshop and has his own pump.

But even so I would just fill up my car and that's it. Most people can never safely store enough to see through a long problem anyway if you use your car all the time, and if everyone is doing it, most will end up with nothing.

The government is being irresponsible.

As far as I'm aware the strikes in the UK won't make a difference to petrol supplies in Stockholm anyway so I'm unsure why you would need to panic buy fuel.
Hot_Rod On March 30, 2012

Deleted
Banned

A yacht, Monaco
#9New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:30:12
@jmo Said

As far as I'm aware the strikes in the UK won't make a difference to petrol supplies in Stockholm anyway so I'm unsure why you would need to panic buy fuel.

Christ babe, give it up darlin - it's old news. [smile]https://c.tfster.com/images/smilies/lmao.gif">
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:30:30
my brother is a tanker driver anyway

Last time I was issued with a special letter which meant I could buy reserve fuel if it runs out. Most public services are given priority to buy petrol when there is a shortage. But then you cant take the piss and go running down to the coast at weekends, you can only take what is needed to get to work and back.

I tend to agree with Labour that they should be negotiating not telling public to panic buy.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#11New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:34:49
@Hot_Rod Said

Christ babe, give it up darlin - it's old news. [smile]https://c.tfster.com/images/smilies/lmao.gif">

What's old news? I'm assuming you don't actually live in Sweden then?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:36:22
@jmo Said

What's old news? I'm assuming you don't actually live in Sweden then?

It's Sam/Eastender.
cammie On May 04, 2013

Deleted

, Australia
#13New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:38:51
I heard on the radio here that the pollies there TOLD everyone to fill up their tanks...fill up a couple of jerry cans...but above all

DONT PANIC.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#14New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:39:01
@sister_of_mercy Said

It's Sam/Eastender.

On topic, whatever you do, DON'T come to the USA.....ours is going up to $5.00 by summer!
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:39:34
@jmo Said

I think it was to make it sounds like they where doing something. Francis Maude recommended everyone go out and stockpile fuel to negate the effects of a strike, which of course essentially leads to panic buying.

Sounds a bit naive to think the general driver population have the facility to store worthwhile amounts of fuel. If they did, I'd assume no reason for them to need to suggest it in the first place.

Deliberate intent to cause panic buying in that case.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs