Society & Lifestyles

People who work hard vs People who work less

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
BiGGSaPP On May 31, 2011

houston, Texas
#1New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 03:38:04
why is it that people that work hard get paid less(construction workers,Teachers, ect.) than the people that work less (white collar workers)
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#2New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 03:39:39
Mostly because most white collar workers have college degrees?
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 06:39:38
@Mysteria Said

Hmmm I'm not sure how it works there but here teachers and nurses have to do degrees and damn hard ones too, none of this 3 lectures a week lark!!! It's weird though bin men get paid almost as much as a junior nurse, that's not right esp with the bin men and their 'rules' nowadays....
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 06:43:14
Plus other workers such as construction workers, police and fire fighters might not have degrees but have to put their life in danger on a regular basis, especially the last two....it's basically because teachers, nurses, police, fire fighters etc all work for the government whereas white collar workers workfor private companies, banks etc.....
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 12:45:44
@Mysteria Said

Of which can only be obtained if you're born into wealth or receive a scholarship because you managed to come back into life doing the Dalai Lama thing.

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 12:50:32
@BiGGSaPP Said

why is it that people that work hard get paid less(construction workers,Teachers, ect.) than the people that work less (white collar workers)

This is an extremely good question.

People should be compensated for the effort they made for education.

HOWEVER

People should also be compensated for sacrificing their good health and body in later years.

All those people toughing it out in factories and physical labor often times suffer from torn up backs and injuries during their later years and are unable to enjoy retirement.

I personally feel that higher tiered jobs should pay less so that lower tiered jobs can pay more.

Not necessary making it exactly Even Steven but still leveling it out so that so that things are fair.
forensicgrl94 On November 04, 2014
inspector gadget

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:21:38
if they do level it out then there will not be any incentive to go to university other than intelectual curiosity. then there may not be the same advances in science and medicine that there could have otherwise been.

it is mostly due to private sector jobs who think they need to pay more inorder to keep and attract new employees.
disHeartened On May 27, 2011

Deleted

in,
#8New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:32:37
@forensicgrl94 Said

if they do level it out then there will not be any incentive to go to university other than intelectual curiosity. then there may not be the same advances in science and medicine that there could have otherwise been.

Maybe then the people who attend college will be there for better reasons than getting an MBA or law degree that can be used to make lots of money without really contributing anything to society.
inspector gadget

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:35:54
then there will be no lawyers and therefore more crime if there is noone to represent the people who have been wronged.
inspector gadget

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:37:11
i study forensic science and law btw, but i will contribute to society and as a scientist its not as if i will be in some massive house somewhere on a hill side.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:38:28
It's just 2 different sectors of work, it doesn't necessarily mean those with office jobs don't work as hard as those involved in manual labour. There's more expertise and training in the business and academic fields, so I can see why they get paid more. However, at least in the UK, plumbers and electricians with expertise in the practicalities of that, so they get paid a lot.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:43:34
But people who work hard look better longer than people who sit on their butts all day..

ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 14:02:25
By 'working hard' you are just thinking about physically working hard, you aren't thinking about people who do little physically but work hard mentally.

And depending what area of construction you go into, and what qualifications you have, it can be well paid. Hell, if you work hard, and have a bit of a head for business, you can start your own construction business and become a millionaire! (Perhaps not now with the recession etc, but you could before).

It's all different anyway, some office workers are highly paid, but some will be on minimum wage. Some teachers will be paid more than others, depending on what they teach or job title or performance reviews (at one point it was based on what degree level they got).
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 14:07:38
@Electric_Banana Said

This is an extremely good question.

People should be compensated for the effort they made for education.

HOWEVER

People should also be compensated for sacrificing their good health and body in later years.

All those people toughing it out in factories and physical labor often times suffer from torn up backs and injuries during their later years and are unable to enjoy retirement.

I personally feel that higher tiered jobs should pay less so that lower tiered jobs can pay more.

Not necessary making it exactly Even Steven but still leveling it out so that so that things are fair.

My Grandad did physically demanding jobs all his working life, my Dad does an office based job - they both suffer from back problems. In fact, on the whole, my Grandads has a much healthier body - despite being older and having more physically demanding jobs

However, if education were free, I would agree that there should be more of similar level of wages between workers.

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 14:11:01
@ninozara Said

My Grandad did physically demanding jobs all his working life, my Dad does an office based job - they both suffer from back problems. In fact, on the whole, my Grandads has a much healthier body - despite being older and having more physically demanding jobs

However, if education were free, I would agree that there should be more of similar level of wages between workers.

If I had a preference I'd rather hurt my back via sitting funny in my desk chair rather than hurting my back heavy lifting.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs