AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#46New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:55:17
@Wellard Said

True,can't find the story anyway.But check this out mental

https://www.newser.com/story/85427/6-year-old-kills-herself-after-being-sent-to-room.html

Awwww...
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#47New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 23:51:06
@sTreetAngeL Said

"I've talked to a doc, but unless he goes himself to get help there is nothing we can do. If we do get him commited, he can even refuse help then."

Since when did this all change?

I think you are wrong about that, and if someone is posing a real danger to themself, or someonelse, they can indeed be committed!
I would further look into it if I were you.

I interpreted this to mean that one can be committed, and
attend counseling etc etc -- but he can stonewall, reguse to
actively participate, or participate on a surface level only. kwIm?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#48New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 23:55:54
@Wellard Said

I see what you mean but I always think if someone is going to do it they they are going to do it regardless.

EDIT* Is the reason for you wanting to help the other person genuine or is it to maybe ease your mind and perhaps not feel as guilty if they did do themselves in?.

Apologies about the sloppy writing but you know what I mean

hmmmm - think about that often - the reason people do things ----- is it because of others/for others? Or is it because it makes the person feel better themselves? But, except for personal reflective reasons, don't know that it matters WHY it was done - just that it was done and was perceived by the doer as the best thing to do at the time. For reasons known, and perhaps even for reasons unknown/ subversise/subconscious even. just sayin'!
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#49New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 23:56:11
@DuLu Said

I interpreted this to mean that one can be committed, and
attend counseling etc etc -- but he can stonewall, reguse to
actively participate, or participate on a surface level only. kwIm?

I dunno...wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having one committed? - And if they are committed, wouldn't it just be logical that the professionals have a right to more or less 'force' the patient to open up?

Somethings just not right about the OP, in my opinion.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#50New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 00:05:35
@sTreetAngeL Said

I dunno...wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having one committed? - And if they are committed, wouldn't it just be logical that the professionals have a right to more or less 'force' the patient to open up?
Somethings just not right about the OP, in my opinion.

theoretically, you're right! Shoot, it happens all the time though - even for example you can send force people to go to jail, rehab, anger management, parenting classes whatever; yes you can force them to counseling and force them to attend all kinds of session designed to help them change their negative behaviors. But ... it's still up to the individual to SEE THE LIGHT so to speak, to WANT THE CHANGE
and then to make it happen ..... and to maintain the more positive lifestyle, and not be a repeat offender.

Sort of like: ya can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink. And even: give a man a fish for a day, or teach him/her to
fish which will last a lifetime. Professionals/friends/loved ones
do have the 'right' (I believe) to try to force feed unhealthy individuals towards a better life
---- but that does not alter the fact that the individual has to receptive to it, follow through with it, and be able to maintain it on his/her own.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#51New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 00:16:12
@DuLu Said

theoretically, you're right! Shoot, it happens all the time though - even for example you can send force people to go to jail, rehab, anger management, parenting classes whatever; yes you can force them to counseling and force them to attend all kinds of session designed to help them change their negative behaviors. But ... it's still up to the individual to SEE THE LIGHT so to speak, to WANT THE CHANGE
and then to make it happen ..... and to maintain the more positive lifestyle, and not be a repeat offender.

Sort of like: ya can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink. And even: give a man a fish for a day, or teach him/her to
fish which will last a lifetime. Professionals/friends/loved ones
do have the 'right' (I believe) to try to force feed unhealthy individuals towards a better life
---- but that does not alter the fact that the individual has to receptive to it, follow through with it, and be able to maintain it on his/her own.

Yeah, I totally get that..
I still think though, that once they are hospitalized, and begin to get their feelings out, that slowly, they will progress, and begin to heal. But there has to be a starting place; they need for someone to care, and to listen to them. - to be forced into talking.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#52New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 00:21:19
@sTreetAngeL Said

Yeah, I totally get that..
I still think though, that once they are hospitalized, and begin to get their feelings out, that slowly, they will progress, and begin to heal. But there has to be a starting place; they need for someone to care, and to listen to them. - to be forced into talking.

Yes, that is the hope, and the intent.
As well as my wish, for sure, as if that makes a difference, right?
And in a perfect world, that's how it would be!

Yes, there has to be a starting place, and something HAS to be done, sooner or later, by someone/someones, to get the ball rolling. An intervention of some sorts.
SnowComa On August 18, 2010

Deleted

La Follette, Tennessee
#53New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 02:11:38
@Fortuna Said

I've got tears in my eyes. You did a great job of explaining a suicidal person's feelings. I'm glad you didn't take your life.

Hey, thanks! I'm pretty pleased about my decision to live, too.
foxytrot On February 04, 2015
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#54New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 02:21:51
@iamthewalrus Said

My psychology professor put up a question today asking us whether or not we believed that people who threatened suicide are likely to actually do it. Most people in our class said no. They didnt believe that people who threaten suicide truly mean to do it; the general consensus was that these people are purely attention seekers with no means of following through.

My professor had a different opinion though. She believed that those people are extremely desperate, and that if they're willing as to go as far as threatening something that big, they're willing to actually do it.

What do you think? Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Would you actually tell the authorities, or someone else in charge if someone you knew threatened suicide? What if you knew this was a person who made threats all the time and wasnt taken seriously...what would you do?

Depending on the situation, yes, I would tell authorities. When I was in school there was a girl asking everyone if they would care if she died. Everyone basically said 'no'. That night she ate an entire bottle of vikidin. While I was in the navy there was a guy who always said to everyone; after he even fumbled, that he was going to kill himself. He did.

Yet, there are those who threaten it just for attention. Shame on them. They need to get real.

It is so hard to say who really will and/or won't. If they end up being treated by a shrink because they threatened it and someone reported it, that's their own fault for being stupid with their words. If they meant it, it might actually help them. It's a terrible gamble for people to threaten that kind of play, but for your own sanity if they ever did do it and they told you they were going to, you'd probably live with the question, "what if...?"
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#55New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 03:40:12
My thought process in regards to this matter generally goes something like this:

What happens if I give help and the person is actually faking? Perhaps I look a little foolish.

What happens if I don't give any help and the person is serious? Perhaps they feel even more isolated and ignored in life, and even worse, may commit suicide.

Which outcome is worse?
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#56New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 03:52:39
@annski729 Said

My thought process in regards to this matter generally goes something like this:

What happens if I give help and the person is actually faking? Perhaps I look a little foolish.

What happens if I don't give any help and the person is serious? Perhaps they feel even more isolated and ignored in life, and even worse, may commit suicide.

Which outcome is worse?

Loss of a life is worst than embarrassment. duh Though I totally believe some people should stop saying they want to die and just off themselves! I know many people like meth heads that distribute absolutely no production to society and sell to kids. I don't mind people like that committing suicide. In fact, I think some people should get huge discounts on items like ropes, wire hangers, razors....etc...

#57New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 03:59:04
@foxytrot Said

Loss of a life is worst than embarrassment. duh

It is kind of a "duh" answer. That's what makes me wonder why so many people would choose to ignore people's warnings that they are feeling suicidal. Many people frequently say "Oh they're just doing this for attentin, I'm not going to help because I know better than that" rather than consider those few questions.

@foxytrot Said
Though I totally believe some people should stop saying they want to die and just off themselves! I know many people like meth heads that distribute absolutely no production to society and sell to kids. I don't mind people like that committing suicide. In fact, I think some people should get huge discounts on items like ropes, wire hangers, razors....etc...

If you're joking, then I apologize for missing the sarcasm. If you're not, then we disagree.
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#58New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:03:33
@annski729 Said

It is kind of a "duh" answer. That's what makes me wonder why so many people would choose to ignore people's warnings that they are feeling suicidal. Many people frequently say "Oh they're just doing this for attentin, I'm not going to help because I know better than that" rather than consider those few questions.

If you're joking, then I apologize for missing the sarcasm. If you're not, then we disagree.

Kind of sarcasm. You would want to help a serial killer, murderer, rapist, child molester, an adult drug dealer selling to kids from offing themselves? I think they'd be doing society a favor if they did. I don't think people like that deserve to live off of my honestly hard earned tax money in prison anyway. I encourage them to!
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#59New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:06:15
@annski729 Said

"we"? Who all are you speaking for? Sorry if I come off rude or uncaring, but I truly don't believe some people even deserve to breathe. Like that mother (I don't remember who posted it!) who allowed her newly wed to beat her 4 year old kid to death. I hope she offs herself

#60New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:11:38
@foxytrot Said

Kind of sarcasm. You would want to help a serial killer, murderer, rapist, child molester, an adult drug dealer selling to kids from offing themselves? I think they'd be doing society a favor if they did. I don't think people like that deserve to live off of my honestly hard earned tax money in prison anyway. I encourage them to!

Eh, I can see where you're coming from. Although I can see the world as being a better place without people who commit horrible atrocities, I'm just not really comfortable saying I want anyone to die.

I just think often people's lives are so complex, and I guess I hope to try to figure out what got that drug addict or criminal to that low place in their life.

Don't mean to take this off topic, just thought I'd explain briefly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs