Politics

Pearl Harbor Raid, 7 December 1941

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Dec 07, 2009 @ 17:34:03
The 7 December 1941 Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor was one of the great defining moments in history. A single carefully-planned and well-executed stroke removed the United States Navy's battleship force as a possible threat to the Japanese Empire's southward expansion. America, unprepared and now considerably weakened, was abruptly brought into the Second World War as a full combatant.

https://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/pearlhbr/pearlhbr.htm

My grandma always always remembered this day with bitter sweet attitude . She had 2 sons in the army at that time. My had been enlisted for just over two yeas and my dad had just finished boot camp. Both came home alive and in one piece.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 07, 2009 @ 17:54:09
Shows how stupid the Japs were really. I mean even in 1941 people knew not to mess with the yanks yet they went and did it.

Great plan by the fascists, you know, attack America and Russia, that'll win you the war.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#3New Post! Dec 07, 2009 @ 18:09:05
WW2. What stories my dad could tell!
Both of my parents were in the Pacific Theater. Mom was an Army nurse,and dad was attached to Gen. MacArthur's general staff,teaching young kids from the Midwest how to pilot landing craft.
They met at Milne Bay on a real blind date. A group of officers would commandeer a PT boat,get a bunch of nurses and go out into the middle of the bay. Blackout conditions. Mom and dad didn't know what each other looked like for three days!
All of my uncles on my mother's side went,except my Uncle Jim(He was working on the sulfa drugs and other drugs).
I had one uncle in the Coast Guard who had 3 cutters shot out from under him during D-Day...he was not the same for awhile!...I could go on, but there are to many memories!
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#4New Post! Dec 07, 2009 @ 18:56:35
@jmo Said

Shows how stupid the Japs were really. I mean even in 1941 people knew not to mess with the yanks yet they went and did it.

Great plan by the fascists, you know, attack America and Russia, that'll win you the war.

Well honestly it was one of the smartest things the "Japs" could have done.

Due to a resource dependance on the united states, and a effort from the united states to curb japanese agression southward (the philipines) by halting resources to japan. Japan really had no place else to go.

If japan was to have any kind of fighting chance at taking the philipines a sneak attack was key.

One of japans main reasons it lost that conflict is, it didn't take into account americas raw production power it put into motion after the attack. It was a race of economies pure and simple. Nearly limitless untapped resources and the man power to build, the japanese empire was fighting a losing battle before it even started.

Both countries knew war was inevitable by the late 20s.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#5New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 18:59:22
@doubtingthomas Said

Well honestly it was one of the smartest things the "Japs" could have done.

Due to a resource dependance on the united states, and a effort from the united states to curb japanese agression southward (the philipines) by halting resources to japan. Japan really had no place else to go.

If japan was to have any kind of fighting chance at taking the philipines a sneak attack was key.

One of japans main reasons it lost that conflict is, it didn't take into account americas raw production power it put into motion after the attack. It was a race of economies pure and simple. Nearly limitless untapped resources and the man power to build, the japanese empire was fighting a losing battle before it even started.

Both countries knew war was inevitable by the late 20s.

The Japaneese Admirals made the mistake. It was an industrial nation fuelled by OUR scrap metals.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#6New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 19:05:06
@jmo Said

Isokuru Yamamotto knew the danger and he was the bloke who planned it! I don't believe it was a coincidence that all of the USNs Aircraft carriers were not in port. And that only obsolete battleships were there!
scotiangold On January 23, 2010

Deleted

, Canada
#7New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 19:10:28
Dumb luck or planned?
newmexicodan On March 31, 2024

roswell,
#8New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 19:11:30
There was a showing of the 8 part documentary on Turner Classic Movies yesterday called "Why We Fight".It was made in 1942-1944 and all about WW2.I saw the first 2 parts.Maybe they'll repeat it again later.
On a sidenote,I visited Pearl Harbor and there was an eerie quality on 2 things.One,you could still see some oil seeping to the surface.Two,you could make out in the water some other wreck, besides the Arizona,still sitting there.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#9New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 19:23:52
@KAMPA Said

Isokuru Yamamotto knew the danger and he was the bloke who planned it! I don't believe it was a coincidence that all of the USNs Aircraft carriers were not in port. And that only obsolete battleships were there!

Not coincidence?

Really?

Please tell me why you feel that way.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs