Patriotism

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 07:53:33
A German was asked why his nation were not so patriotic as many others. He said that there are various ways of showing patriotism. You could tie a full size national flag to your pick-up truck, perhaps sing the National anthem prior to any sports game. Wear a hat with some slogan.

Or, you could vote for higher taxes to make healthcare and college tuition universally accessible to less fortunate citizens, by picking up after one another to keep public places clean.

The German guy thought that perhaps his ideas "just get lost in the translation".

Yes, maybe they do.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 08:59:20
Out of respect for decorum I have actually toned down the German guy's words. I think maybe some of the more "patriotic" would not like his freedom to speak as he sees it; such freedom should be restricted to those who many "patriots" support!

Ha ha.

gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#3New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 15:37:02
The best option is for moms and dads to make education a priority and ensure their own children are cared for. I transfered my college benefits to my oldest and my younger has an academic scholarship.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 16:21:21
Patriotism is...

> Faking bones spurs in your foot to avoid the draft so some other American can go to war (and maybe die) for you.

> Dressing up in tactical gear like you are some badass Special Forces operator, while walking around declaring your freedoms, but never having served you country in anyway.

> Wearing a stupid hat with a stupid logo (like MAGA) while screaming at anyone who disagrees with you.

> Being more concerned with the image and reputation of a foreign authoritarian leader than the soldiers of your own county who have bounties for their death.

> Having your candidate win an election by minus 3 million votes, but then claim that there was voter fraud by the losing candidate's side.

> Supporting your president as he acts like a want-to-br Mafia boss pissing on our legal system by pardoning/commuting the legitimately investigated and convicted rich elitist criminal friends.

etc
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 16:37:55
Yup all that flag waving means jack s*** when when fellow countrymen are dying.

It’s just a different version of virtue signaling. America is a bit f***ed up at the moment.

Or may always? I’m honestly not quite sure where things went wrong. In my head once I pick a time, I still see flaws before it.

Flaws we keep ignoring until the fester. *thats* the problem. No that America is bad, but we stopped trying to make it better. And we can’t keep up with a changing world.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 16:45:07
@chaski Said

Patriotism is...

> Faking bones spurs in your foot to avoid the draft so some other American can go to war (and maybe die) for you.

> Dressing up in tactical gear like you are some badass Special Forces operator, while walking around declaring your freedoms, but never having served you country in anyway.

> Wearing a stupid hat with a stupid logo (like MAGA) while screaming at anyone who disagrees with you.

> Being more concerned with the image and reputation of a foreign authoritarian leader than the soldiers of your own county who have bounties for their death.

> Having your candidate win an election by minus 3 million votes, but then claim that there was voter fraud by the losing candidate's side.

> Supporting your president as he acts like a want-to-br Mafia boss pissing on our legal system by pardoning/commuting the legitimately investigated and convicted rich elitist criminal friends.

etc

There's some guy on the edges of my mind that your posts reminds me of........can't quite place it.....
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 17:24:02
@DiscordTiger Said

It’s just a different version of virtue signaling. America is a bit f***ed up at the moment.

Or may always? I’m honestly not quite sure where things went wrong. In my head once I pick a time, I still see flaws before it.

Flaws we keep ignoring until the fester. *thats* the problem. No that America is bad, but we stopped trying to make it better. And we can’t keep up with a changing world.

When did things go wrong? yes, it's hard to pin down a particular time or action, but I see the "straw" is when Sessions, or McConnell - I forget which old white guy by now... or maybe it was another one - said it was their duty to make the Obama Administration fail.
And then to watch the rest of the GOPer-lemmings follow them right down the whole, dragging the country with it.

They didn't even care to feign cooperation for the good of the country.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#8New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 18:11:47
@DiscordTiger Said

Or may always? I’m honestly not quite sure where things went wrong.

@mrmhead Said

When did things go wrong? yes, it's hard to pin down a particular time or action,

While it is true that America has always had its issues, we were for a long time moving in a generally good direction. The "argument" wasn't whether or not Democrats were "bad" or Republicans were "bad".

It was pretty well accepted and agreed upon that both "sides" were patriotic and wanted what was best for the country as a whole.

The "argument" was more What is the best way to continue to make the USA better?

Sure both "sides" like to criticize each other, but (again) the thing was to find the best path.

It was well known that many, if not most, politicians liked each other and after hours would hang out together... have dinner together... drink together... etc.

Then came Newt Gingrich.

Newt Gingrich is the architect of the Republican Party (and conservatives) hate of the Democrats and the evil leftist.

And ever since Newt Gingrich's influence "we" have been moving farther away from each other, the divide in our country growing. Some of the "left" tried to move somewhat to the center, but that did not appease the "right"... they pushed harder to the right.

Then we got Trump at which point people like Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham (and others) dicier that they didn't give a s*** about either their own souls not the USA.

The rest as they say is history, but it essentially started with Newt Gingrich... he knows it and has even bragged about it.

As a side note: Gingrich received deferments from the military during the years of the Vietnam War. His deferments were, unlike Trump's, completely above board, so one should probably not call him a "draft dodger"... still, I view him as a f***ing coward.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 21:22:55
To me, patriotism is an ugly word. It arouses emotions in unstable people and motivates them to excessive displays of jingoism and aggressive antipathy to those they see as "not one of us." Patriotism as it exists in UK today is isolationist and inward looking. It excludes more than includes. It creates an attitude of English exceptionalism that is not justified by reality and we make ourselves look fools in attempting to portray ourselves as such

A nation exists in its people, not its symbols. We may have differences in our view of politics or sport or art or whatever, but deep down, we should all have an understanding of what is best for the nation as a whole, and work towards that together. That is not the case at this time. Never have we been more bitterly divided than now.

History, culture and traditions are important, but aren't everything. They can be a guide to help us move towards the future, but they shouldn't be rigid rules, not to be deviated from at any cost.

The armed forces are not gods. We should keep adequate forces to fulfill treaty commitments that are intended exclusively for the defence of ours and our allies homelands. We may contribute to international peace keeping forces, provided such actions are for genuine humanitarian purposes. But elevating soldiers to the status of mythical beings inevitably leads us into ventures we should have nothing to do with.

It is patriotic enough if we are law abiding, tolerant, open minded, inclusive, respectful to our fellow citizen and conscious of our obligations to each other.

If we have those things, then flags, anthems and parades are not needed.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#10New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 23:25:26
@mrmhead Said

When did things go wrong? yes, it's hard to pin down a particular time or action, but I see the "straw" is when Sessions, or McConnell - I forget which old white guy by now... or maybe it was another one - said it was their duty to make the Obama Administration fail.
And then to watch the rest of the GOPer-lemmings follow them right down the whole, dragging the country with it.

They didn't even care to feign cooperation for the good of the country.

Yeah that could of been the straw... it’s been a long time coming though.

Sometimes I think it might even predate Gingrich.

A lot of PR’s problems that made the hurricanes so devastating go back to Strom Thurman. He was an al around garbage human.

Goldwater might have also laid a lot of the groundwork, though I’m not sure it turned out as he intended... but that’s what happens sometimes. Road to hell and all.

Definitely getting Regan in and changes because of that we’re part of it. Regan and Gingrich made a lot of power alliances with religious groups and people with money. It changed things.

Now corporations are people.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 09:06:02
Mark Twain quote:-

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 09:26:37
@dookie Said

Mark Twain quote:-

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.

Samuel Johnson: Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

, Florida
#13New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 14:27:02
@DiscordTiger Said

Make America Do Better Again. Has a ring to it.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#14New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 15:32:44
@gakINGKONG Said

Make America Do Better Again. Has a ring to it.

"Drain the Swamp Cesspool that the 21st Republican Party has become", also has a nice ring.

, Florida
#15New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 16:00:39
Please rise for the Pledge of Allegiance 1954 version if you please

all together now . . .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs