Politics

Patriot Act Reauthorization

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
neonbacalao On March 27, 2006

Philly, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 00:29:26
Is anyone watching this on C-Span? It's the thing that would make most of the parts in the patriot act permanent instead of sunset laws (i'm sorry I don't know much about politics and terminology). As of now the vote is Yea: 234 to Nay: 138

Philly, Pennsylvania
#2New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 00:39:47
so to me it seems really stupid to make this permanent, why not just have it reevaluated after 5 or 10 years? The wiretap part worries me a lot, along with the fact that federal agents can search your property without obtaining a warrant from a judge. The former is included in the 14 of the 16 provisions that will be made permanent if this passes, the latter i'm not sure about. ok now it's 259 to 166 with 9 votes left. Ok the
wiretap thing permits "roving" wiretaps that don't specify certain phones, and

it would extend for 10 years access to bookstore and library records (watch what you're reading, people),

it would also include devices that acquire email and internet addresses.

Permit surveillance/searches if foreign intelligence gathering is a purpose,

permits use of a search warrant to seize UNOPENED voice mail (watch what your friends are saying),

authorizes internet providers to disclose customer records,

permit surveillance of terror suspects who operate alone,

makes it a crime to provide material support to terrorists, (261 to 165)

allowing search warrants for electronic evidence stored in U.S.,

extending duration of wiretaps and search warrants to 120 days,

extends information sharing between law enforcement and intelligence agencies,

makes it a crime to collect information to plan or assist a terror attack against mass transit,

Ok and i guess that's it. Thanks to C-Span for that info (cuz i quoted most of it from the bottom of the screen)

Some of those seem like common sense that they should already have been in place but some of them should definitely NOT be permanent. What do you thinK?

Philly, Pennsylvania
#3New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 00:46:58
Woo hoo! They're gonna fix commas and crap to reflect the views of the house. Wait, are they? No i don't think they are, it just says House passes Reauthorization of Patriot Act. Crap.
bstumbo On April 26, 2006

Tiburon, Ca., California
#4New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 02:54:45
The right wing has wanted a police state for decades ... don't be so surprised that they are working so hard to get it now that they have defeated the checks and balances of power.
sheskull On December 10, 2008

, Texas
#5New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 04:06:14
that's it...who wants to help me move to Canada?
sheskull On December 10, 2008

, Texas
#6New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 04:09:57
especially with the books thing.. I mean, come on.. I like reading the most of the strangest shyt I can come by.. That includes shyt on pyrotechnics and explosives. Does that mean I'm going to be suspected of Terrorism now? JEEZ! I hate hurting people. I can't even punch a person much less blow em up.
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#7New Post! Jul 22, 2005 @ 04:16:32
Those fools . . . When a government starts taking too many liberties from its citizens, then it is time for the people to stand up and fight and regain the freedoms that were stolen from them. I won't move to Canada - I'll fight for what I believe in, and even if I stand alone, I'll still stand until I die. People! Fight this! If someone tries to do this to you, don't sit and let it happen! We are in a hole right now, and we need to get out of it. Forget about the terrorists! Fight the real power, the power that steals our breath as we sleep!
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#8New Post! May 15, 2008 @ 23:41:34
@neonbacalao Said
so to me it seems really stupid to make this permanent, why not just have it reevaluated after 5 or 10 years? The wiretap part worries me a lot, along with the fact that federal agents can search your property without obtaining a warrant from a judge. The former is included in the 14 of the 16 provisions that will be made permanent if this passes, the latter i'm not sure about. ok now it's 259 to 166 with 9 votes left. Ok the
wiretap thing permits "roving" wiretaps that don't specify certain phones, and

it would extend for 10 years access to bookstore and library records (watch what you're reading, people),

it would also include devices that acquire email and internet addresses.

Permit surveillance/searches if foreign intelligence gathering is a purpose,

permits use of a search warrant to seize UNOPENED voice mail (watch what your friends are saying),

authorizes internet providers to disclose customer records,

permit surveillance of terror suspects who operate alone,

makes it a crime to provide material support to terrorists, (261 to 165)

allowing search warrants for electronic evidence stored in U.S.,

extending duration of wiretaps and search warrants to 120 days,

extends information sharing between law enforcement and intelligence agencies,

makes it a crime to collect information to plan or assist a terror attack against mass transit,

Ok and i guess that's it. Thanks to C-Span for that info (cuz i quoted most of it from the bottom of the screen)

Some of those seem like common sense that they should already have been in place but some of them should definitely NOT be permanent. What do you thinK?

I have a very simple question for people who appose this.

What impact did the USA Patriot act have on YOUR civil liberties?

When I say YOUR I mean the person reading this post right now.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#9New Post! May 15, 2008 @ 23:47:00
None whatsoever!!
baux On July 25, 2008

Washington, District of Columb
#10New Post! May 15, 2008 @ 23:49:39
@sheskull Said
that's it...who wants to help me move to Canada?

I will join you if we get a liberal for president. The whole as we know it will be destroyed if that happens.
baux On July 25, 2008

Washington, District of Columb
#11New Post! May 15, 2008 @ 23:52:36
@doubtingthomas Said

Actually, for me it has an impact on my life everyday. But I can tell you that it is here for a reason and a damn good reason. I have seen this act work flawlessly first hand for thank god it is here. It really is a great thing folks.

Mostly people who are guilty of something are the ones who express reservations.
BabyJane On July 08, 2014

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
#12New Post! May 16, 2008 @ 00:23:43
@doubtingthomas Said

The Patriot Act has not to my knowledge had an impact on my civil liberties personally, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have the potential to do so. Interpretation of the law by the people in charge means everything.

There are some parts of it that aren't without merit, but there were, and probably still are, other parts of it that should never have been passed. The ACLU's opposition paid off with certain aspects of it being repealed but the point is it has the potential to infringe on an ordinary citizen's civil liberties. A lot of people think that it applies only to non-citizens, but it also provides provisions for "domestic terrorism" (like Timothy McVeigh) which would allow them to spy on any citizen not just non-citizens.

The problem is where do they draw the line? When does infringing on our freedoms turn into the beginning of a fascist state?

https://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html
https://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2007/08/wiretap?currentPage=all
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/08/eff-documents-shed-light-fbi-electronic-surveillance-technology
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#13New Post! May 16, 2008 @ 00:27:02
@babyjane Said
The Patriot Act has not to my knowledge had an impact on my civil liberties personally, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have the potential to do so. Interpretation of the law by the people in charge means everything.

There are some parts of it that aren't without merit, but there were, and probably still are, other parts of it that should never have been passed. The ACLU's opposition paid off with certain aspects of it being repealed but the point is it has the potential to infringe on an ordinary citizen's civil liberties. A lot of people think that it applies only to non-citizens, but it also provides provisions for "domestic terrorism" (like Timothy McVeigh) which would allow them to spy on any citizen not just non-citizens.

The problem is where do they draw the line? When does infringing on our freedoms turn into the beginning of a fascist state?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/08/eff-documents-shed-light-fbi-electronic-surveillance-technology

Thank you! It's not about how it's touching one individual life at this moment. It's about what it starts. If we start relinquishing rights out of fear, where will it end?
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#14New Post! May 16, 2008 @ 01:20:09
@babyjane Said

To say that something has a potential to be abused doesn't mean its entirly wrong.

I'm glad it provides provisions for demestic terrorims. If a wire tap would have pervented timothy mcveigh from blowing people up. I say more power to them.

The problem your right, does happen at drawing the line.

For the average smoe, the patriot act will not effect them in any way shape or form.

The ACLU is very good at hyping things to being world ending or the dawn of a new age of fascism.
BabyJane On July 08, 2014

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
#15New Post! May 16, 2008 @ 02:44:26
@doubtingthomas Said
To say that something has a potential to be abused doesn't mean its entirly wrong.

I didn't say that it did. In fact I think I said it wasn't entirely without merit. As you agreed, the problem is where do they draw the line. Should the government have the absolute and unchallenged right to infringe on my privacy and freedom? Absolutely not.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs